I am trying to figure out about recording in high def.

if i record to geovision or similiar am I going to have a high def image that I can blow up or is it going to look like regular video from a standard camera that starts to fall apart at about 3x? Is my only true hd the live view. I know there has to be some compresson but I do I need a whole new generation of DVR? I have a customer who may spring for Mega pixel cameras but won't if the playback is not near HD quality.

The only thing I've seen that comes close is Mobotix using their MxPEG format and played back using their free MxControlCenter or MxEasy software. You can zoom in and pan around the recorded images just the same as in live view without much pixelization at all. Certainly more that 3x.

If you are talking about digital, as in IP cameras, then there's nothing different about HD or any other D. There's no more effort in recording 1920x1020@30fps than there is recording 640x480@30fps since it's all just a stream of bits. There are more bits, but it's a trivial job to write 10 Mbps (that's only about 1.2 MB/s, and a typical OS/disk can write 30 to 100+ MB/s, per disk).

For software that needs to decode to get events, then there is much more work since the stream has to be decoded, and processed, and this can be intensive,(it's an area thing - it's probably linear time - but still abouy 600% more intensive between the two sizes I used).

As for just plain putting it on disk, like all good software should should (uh-hm, like mine), that's hardly a blip.

With most IP systems, if you record the same stream that your live viewing then you should have the same ability to zoom into the recorded footage as you do with the live footage. The higher the MP and the less compression the better. A Losless Compression codec is better than a lossy one for digital zooming on the recorded footage also.

Dont know much about Geovision to answer your specific question about that platform.