dominovision

Sentient PVR access via the internet not working

All

Finally got this sucker running both on the LAN and over the internet.

Seems there are things you can configure in the WebUI that you can't configure sat locally on the box. Anyway, secret was a couple of reboots (even if the box didn't prompt you to), good port forwarding config on the broadband router, and DynDNS registration to keep your private FQDN updated.

Have to say, although it's a stinker to set up, not all the DVRs fault I must point out, I'm really happy with the results.

Good luck guys, contact me if I can help out further or provide a demo.

Richard

I am brand new to this forum and would like to say hello to one and all

I have just read the recent posts and wondered if anyone would mind helping me out .

just bought the Setient 250 gb Network dvr and 4 cameras from Maplin, got

all the cameras up and running and recording ,but not being a computer wizz

kid ,and not being able to follow the badly translated instructions

,wondered if anyone could give me an idiots guide to connecting to my network

, I have the dvr conected to my netgear dg834gt wireless router with

network cable , but not sure how to proceed further to link them up , and then how do I access the dvr from my laptop when I am away from home

Would be very grateful for any help you can give

Kind regards

grandadbaza

Hi All

you also have to port forward the media port to make this work over the internet.

I was having exactly the same problem, i could get the log in screen over the internet but loggin failure.

I set up my router to port forward port 9000 and it works fine now.

I use a 3g dongle when out and about and it works fine.

Dave

i am having the same problem im doing a bit research tonight so i can fix this sucker tomorrow at work ......... any help??

This may be a duplicate question but...

Does anybody know why when the Login Page is displayed via the LAN (eg. when using the internal DVR IP address), the login works fine.. BUT.. when accessing via my external "STATIC" IP address using port forwarding (eg 82.5.12.244:8765, where 8765 has been defined to both the DVR software AND the router criteria), although the Login Page is displayed fine, the message "Login Failed" is displayed.

I am able to get to the front end of the DVR software through both IP addresses, however the Login only works through the LAN. I am assuming this is an issue with the DVR software?

Note my external IP address is STATIC, my DVR IP address is reserved and therefore both addresses will not change. I am not using DDNS, as I don't need to as the IP's don't change.

I have updated any any changes via the DVR software AND the IE access, I have had ALL passwords switched off and ALL passwords switched on.

This must be something really simple... has anyone actually managed to login to camera software via the net? Any help very very much appreciated. Thanks.

LAN operation doesn't require port forwarding but WAN does.

Check your DVR manual for any additional command/data ports that have to be forwarded thru the router for WAN operation.

Yes I know, however there is no seperate WAN or LAN screen therefore when setting up the conditions the input is entered just once on the network screen. There is no problem accessing the LAN, however once you have entered a PORT address you MUST include it in the IP address when accessing via the LAN. Anyway this is not the issue, the issue is using the external static address to access the DVR (together with the port forward; eg. 68.2.6.215:9876). I can get to the DVR login screen fine it just wont allow me login. (There are NO issues with LAN entry, this works fine). The router has been set up for virtual servers on this port. Because I can get to the Login page via the internet, I assume the issue is either with the DVR software or some minor setting for traffic,etc. is wrong or not configured. I've turned off Firewall on both the router and Norton to test if this was the issue but still was unable to login via the net.

On the DVR:

TYPE: STATIC

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.2.3 (The reserved IP address of the DVR)

SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0 (Standard)

PPPOE NAME: Not Required

DNS: 68.2.6.215 My Static IP address (Internet connection)

MEDIA PORT: 9000

WEB PORT: 9876

GATEWAY: 192.168.2.1 IP address of the Router

On the Router:

The ports 9000 AND 9876 have been set up on router as Virtual Servers for the address of the DVR.

As I said I CAN ACCESS the front end of the DVR software through the Web (68.2.6.215:9876), but cannot Login.

(Note. the DNS I have supplied above is not my actual DNS as I don't want 1000's of people trying to login!.. it's just an example).

Thanks.

What model router are you using? Have you tried running an Open Port tool remotely to access the Media port? (the http port obviously is working). Can you Telnet the media port and get a connection?

I'm using a Belkin N+ Router. I've tried the DMZ facility to no avail as well.

When I telnet the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 9876 (Web port) or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 9000 (Media port), I connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is made I get a flashing cursor, any subsequent key pressed drops out of telnet. or.. using >telnet command prompt I then enter o xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 9000 or 9876 and it hangs for a while the drops out with connection lost for media Port 9000 but just hangs until I press another key for HTTP port 9876! I guess because there is no recognisable O/S on the DVR?

When using Open Port Tool for 9876 I get:

Success: I can see your service on 82.6.xxx.xxx on port (9876)

Your ISP is not blocking port 9876

When using Open Port Tool for 9000 I get:

Success: I can see your service on 82.6.xxx.xxx on port (9000)

Your ISP is not blocking port 9000

HI ALL,

Not sure if anyone can help, but i am completely stuck!!

I have the sentient CCTV kit setup. i can login and view the cameras via my local LAN (local IP address)

I can login via the public IP on a remote computer , however all teh camera screens are grey. i can make changes via the setup tab remotely but i can not view the camrea outputs.

Has anybody had this issue? can someone please help!!

You've obviously port fowarded an HTTP address (such as 8080, etc.).. but have you also port forwarded a MEDIA port address? (such as 9000 which is the default for the DVR - this should carry the video). Obviously when you reference the DVR you still only use the IP address followed by the HTTP port address. eg.. xxx.xxx.xx.xx:8080

thanks for your reply jasonx. I have setup port forwarding for both ports (im not using 80 for the http address). im using 70 for the http request and 9000 for the media. is it UDP 9000 or TCP 9000.

changed to 9000 TCP, still not getting anything on the screens remotely. i changed the port to 9001 and that stopped me from loggin in remotely. So i changed it back to 9000. So now i can login again remotely but not view any of the camera screens. any other suggestions. its odd that when i change the media port i am unable to login remotely.

Hmm.. not sure.. I do know the setting up of the web I/F is a right pain in the backside and sometimes the settings don't take effect unless everything is rebooted (router AND DVR) so sometimes you make changes, try them out, and nothing seems to have changed, so you move on to the next thing not knowing that you may already have resolved the issue!!... that's what was happening with regard to my issue! .. Not sure if this helps but although Sentient is a Maplin brand the unit is manufactured by CNMLifestyle. You can contact them on support@cnmlifestyle.com. They may be able to help... after all they supply the kit! Good Luck!

Just a thought... something you sadi earlier!...

Try changing your media port to 9000 and your HTTP port to 8080 on our DVR menu.

Do the same on your router port forward menu, making sure the IP address for port forwarding is the same for both. eg. 192.168.2.3 (the IP address of your DVR unit). Make sure you assign this as a "non-moveable address" within your router menu. In other words, when ever the router is restarted it will always allocate the fixed address.

Now restart both the DVR and Router. Login to your router menu and make sure the IP address assigned to the DVR is as expected (ie. as you fixed earlier).

Now try to access your DVR via the IP address.. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

Any good?

tried that same thing!! any ideas. im thinking about upgrading my router. i am currently using a 5 year old netgear router from Sky. (DG834GT)