cglaeser

recommend qulity balun with power and ptz

1. Any recommendations for quality baluns with power and ptz?

2. Any recommendations for passive baluns?

Distance is less than 200'.

Best,

Christopher

1. Any recommendations for quality baluns with power and ptz?

2. Any recommendations for passive baluns?

Distance is less than 200'.

Best,

Christopher

If you're talking Cat5e, 200' would really be pushing it... even at 24VAC, two pairs would be under-sized for the power (since the other two would be purposed for video and control), especially when you factor in the additional current requirements of most PTZs.

If you're talking Cat5e, 200' would really be pushing it... even at 24VAC, two pairs would be under-sized for the power (since the other two would be purposed for video and control), especially when you factor in the additional current requirements of most PTZs.

Good advice, I'll pull a separate cable for power. Can you recommend a quality balun with ptz?

Best,

Christopher

I've really only used video-only baluns... I just split out the other pairs I need and hard-wire them as necessary. I've used GEM, GVI, MuxLab and NVT baluns - I wouldn't say any of them are substantially better or worse than the others, but I do like the GEM and GVI for their tool-less connections.

I've really only used video-only baluns... I just split out the other pairs I need and hard-wire them as necessary.

In other words, if a balun has a power pigtail, you just use that for the ptz control?

Best,

Christopher

Well, you can do that too... I mean, I just use baluns that are video only - no power tails or anything else. I'll usually split the jacket, pull the blue pair out for video, then slip the jacket back around the others to run into the power can. I'll typically use the green and orange pairs for power and leave the brown pair for "future use", unless it's a particularly long run, and I can split out the brown to add to the power pairs.

I have been using this company - http://videobaluns.com/ for a very long time... they mainly produce passive baluns and hubs... Decently priced and works very well in more than 1,000' video runs. They also have the tool-less version that works fairly good... Pricing should hover between $30 to $40 per pair (two baluns)...

As for the power, you should run a separate 18/2 cable - most do anyway.

The remainder pairs in the CAT5E could be used for your PTZ control... dependent on the protocol and required pairs of course..

We mainly use CAT6 cable due to its higher bandwidth capabilities...

Yes, but that has the same problem I noted above: once you use one pair for video and one for PTZ, you have only two left for power. At 200' and with a PTZ's higher draw, that just won't be enough.

Yes you are correct.

Many times the PTZs are powered locally also.

They could use it for Video and Data though.