jmay8008

CMOS cameras and Geovision

Why don't CMOS cameras work with Geovision....Contacted Geovision and they never gave me a answer,they just

had me connect the camera to various video connections, which worked, but the camera will not produce

a picture when connected to a Geovision sytem, Told me I should use CCD cameras

That makes no sense at all, both types output the same video signal, the sensor construction and material should have no bearing on that at all.

Maybe you should use something other than GeoVision, especially if that's the best answer their support could come up with...

CMOS CCTV cameras suck but they do work with Geovision, in fact im hooking up a couple tomorrow for someone .. (all they had available here right now). Geovision probably just meant you should use a better camera .. but I am sure they realize many people using their cards are in fact using CMOS cameras.

While both answers make sense, they still don't answer my question,why won't the CMOS cameras work with my GEOVISION, let me add this is the second set of cameras (two different models)

Sometimes if a camera signal is not strong enough, it wont work in Geo. Check the camera directly at the DVR, powered there and with a very short piece of video cable, and see what you get. Also, what kind of connectors and cable are you using, and what are the typical distances of these cameras that are not working with Geo? Do they work when you plug them into something like a TV at the end where the Geo DVR is?

Cameras work when connected to TV, and Q-See DVR, I tested the camera with just the short cable attached to the camera (3ft) It is a Q-See Model QS903c, the other CMOS cameras (Model QSOCWC2PK) had 6ft cables attached..

Sometimes if a camera signal is not strong enough, it wont work in Geo.

True, Geo seems to be particularly susceptible to poor/noisy signal... but signal strength should have NO relationship to the type of sensor used.

They are 12v cameras, and I am using the power adapters that came with them...The only cable that I am using is the short cable that is hard wired to the cameras.. with a BNC adapter to connect to the Geovision card..

Ok sounds normal. Do any other cameras work on the Geo Card?

Where the cameras dont work, is it video lost or is there something else, like blue or pink?

Why don't CMOS cameras work with Geovision....Contacted Geovision and they never gave me a answer,they just had me connect the camera to various video connections, which worked, but the camera will not produce a picture when connected to a Geovision sytem, Told me I should use CCD cameras

Video Lost

Ok, but do any other cameras work with the card? Can you try a TV input if you dont have other cameras? Just want to see if its not a bad card, or something else.

I know little about Geo but I have tested Qsee. I'd say this is just a sign from whatever you believe in to get better cameras. Qsee is trash.

Why don't CMOS cameras work with Geovision....Contacted Geovision and they never gave me a answer,they just

had me connect the camera to various video connections, which worked, but the camera will not produce

a picture when connected to a Geovision sytem, Told me I should use CCD cameras

Cannot see why their should be a problem, what *exactly* did geovision say to you.

After being put on hold a number of times while they checked their "Canned answer manual" I was basically told that CMOS cameras must not work with Geovision.Please Note I have tried these cameras on two different Geovision cards

I cant see them saying that, even though it doesnt provide you with an answer, I am using CMOS with a Geovision card right now .. I just checked it today, still working fine - okay crappy cameras, but there is video signal.

I guess at this point, we have asked all the normal questions, so time for some different ones. When you have it connected right near the DVR for testing, what voltage does the camera have, what PSU is being used for the camera, and what is the camera's current draw? If there is any kind of telco, cat5, or RCA cable being used anywhere for the video or the power, we need to know. Can you post the camera model number.

After being put on hold a number of times while they checked their "Canned answer manual" I was basically told that CMOS cameras must not work with Geovision.Please Note I have tried these cameras on two different Geovision cards

Was that his actually wording, "MUST NOT work"?? Because that sounds like someone grasping at straws after not being able to find an appropriate "canned answer". You just picture him shrugging his shoulders and saying, "I dunno, that must not work..."

Rory, in my previous posts I have stated all the information that you just ask me except for the voltage and current

draw of the camera,per the spec the video output 1.0v p-p 75ohm...It is a model Q-See QS903C , No special cabling

has been connected, just what was already hard wired to the camera, using the 12v adapter supplied

Ok thanks.

Specs on that camera;

http://www.q-see.com/products/security-product.php?ProductId=59

A couple things to note that are out of the ordinary for most CCTV cameras, but should still not cause a problem, typically:

RCA for Video, also it has Audio.

50ma Power Consumption - I have to say I have never seen a camera that low before.

I dont know, another thing I guess to check is that there is not some PAL/NTSC issue.