thewireguys

POE network card

Does anybody have any experience with or know of a 4 port PCI-X network card with POE output?

Interesting idea

just curios where 48 V will come from

another adapter, inverter,converter...

Found this one. Haven't tried it myself but it has possibilities for future use.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/korenix-technologies/industrial-ethernet-switch-card-29418-410948.html

I'd be pretty leery of that - I don't see a power connector on it, meaning it would have to pull +12V and -12V from the PCI bus to get the 24V that it then uses to step up to 48V. That's a lot of current to be drawing from the motherboard, even assuming 100% efficiency in the conversion. Looking at a 500W Antec PSU I have sitting here, the -12V rail is only rated to a maximum 0.8A, which means you'd have a MAXIMUM (again, assuming 100% efficiency) of 19.2W available, which is barely enough to drive ONE device to spec, never mind two.

^I call BS on that. They state a full 15.4W *per port*... there's no way it will do that all at once. One port at a time, MAYBE. MAYBE.

The page states the card starts with 24VDC and steps it up. The only place it can get that 24V from a PC power supply is using both +12 and -12V rails together. The PDF says it uses the ATX 4P power connector (uh, and what if your motherboard needs it???), which doesn't have -12V on it. And as noted above, even on a 500W Antec supply I have here, the -12V rail is only 0.8A *max*.

They may be good stepping up from 12V, as the PDF suggests (contrary to the page Harrar linked to, which states only a 24V supply), but not from 24...

It's a nice idea, but there's something fishy in all that.

^I call BS on that. They state a full 15.4W *per port*... there's no way it will do that all at once. One port at a time, MAYBE. MAYBE.

The page states the card starts with 24VDC and steps it up. The only place it can get that 24V from a PC power supply is using both +12 and -12V rails together. The PDF says it uses the ATX 4P power connector (uh, and what if your motherboard needs it???), which doesn't have -12V on it. And as noted above, even on a 500W Antec supply I have here, the -12V rail is only 0.8A *max*.

They may be good stepping up from 12V, as the PDF suggests (contrary to the page Harrar linked to, which states only a 24V supply), but not from 24...

Soundy, They do have 4 pin connector for power supply on PCB

Yes, which doesn't have -12V.

Only way to find out is to order one and test it....... I will call today and get some pricing

I'd be interested to see how that works out under FULL load - this sort of cheap offshore stuff, I'd expect to find that they're counting on 99% of devices it will be used with, not needing anywhere near the full 15.4W.

Kind of like the "200W" car amp my buddy bought once, that had a 10A power fuse - even at 100% efficiency and assuming a full 14.5V, you CAN'T get more than 150W without blowing the fuse... nevermind that a typical cheap Class AB amp is only about 40% efficient. Yet somehow they manage to claim that it does 200W output power...

------------------------------------------------------------

They do not use 24 v

They stepping up 12v to 48 v for PoE

confusion is about their pdf

What they mean

that board can take between 12 -24 V

not that board need 12 and 24 v

that all

------------------------------------------------------------

They do not use 24 v

They stepping up 12v to 48 v for PoE

confusion is about their pdf

What they mean

that board can take between 12 -24 V

not that board need 12 and 24 v

that all

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/korenix-technologies/industrial-ethernet-switch-card-29418-410948.html

"Korenix patented Built-in DC24 to 48V Booster for powering PCI card and PoE ports in rail, bus, transit transportation systems"

Maybe it's just the bad Engrish, but to me that says they're claiming they boost from 24 to 48.

Maybe it's just the bad Engrish, but to me that says they're claiming they boost from 24 to 48.

Matt, I just talk to them

They are boosting from 12 to 48V

and connector is on main board

just hard to see on pdf

Matt, I just talk to them

They are boosting from 12 to 48V

and connector is on main board

just hard to see on pdf

Alex please send me any contact info on this card....... I would like to order on and test it out

So does the spec sheet or anything list a minimum PC power supply requirement? Considering some of the systems I've seen (5-6 drives in a machine with a 300W PSU), you'd want to be careful about what you're adding that extra 70W load to.

Does anybody have any experience with or know of a 4 port PCI-X network card with POE output?

Why do you need one? What stops you using PoE router?

Nothing prevents the possibility of using a PoE switch or midspan (haven't seen many PoE routers, though, except for some really high end stuff from Adtran and 3Com).

I think the idea was to build an all-in-one solution for a small system, would make it a little more plug and play for a end user, too.

Nothing prevents the possibility of using a PoE switch or midspan (haven't seen many PoE routers, though, except for some really high end stuff from Adtran and 3Com).

I think the idea was to build an all-in-one solution for a small system, would make it a little more plug and play for a end user, too.

Yup^^

Its definitely more clean install, but world famous brand usual PoE switch vs unknown brand PCI PoE card. What do you think? If its 275$, then price is similar to Netgear/Trendnet 4 port PoE switches.