mateck8888

FPS question on NV5000

Does anyone know what the FPS is for recording in 640x480 or D1 for the NV5000?

They only list a 120fps, but I suspect that it is for CIF resolution. Bugs me that they act like it is unimportant. Anyway, if someone knows that info, I would appreciate it.

(I'm trying to compare it to a Digimerg VB308251 stand alone that offers 60fps in 4CIF.)

Wow, that really is in the basement. Is that from personal observation, or does AverMedia publish that? I was hoping that it would be around 30fps for VGA.

Matt

actually 10-12 is pretty good. most "budget" cards and DVRs support maybe 7.5 fps at D1.

30 fps is not necessary for CCTV. Although a very common request from people not in the industry... CCTV is only to capture what happened and archive evidence, not to make pretty movies for TV. 30 fps is a HUGE waste of storage and resources for most applications.

True... it's not Hollywood.

As to the comparison, the Digimerge VB308251 is an 8 channel DVR that the manufacture says will do 60fps in D1 Resolution.

With an 8-camera set up, the Digimerge will deliver 7.5fps. The AverMedia NV5000 with an expansion card will deliver only 1.5fps, using your specs. That is a pretty big difference. I normally use the 16ch 6480 express card, but this client is on a recession budget, so I may order in my first stand alone DVR for this clients gas stations.

Matt

Actually, I dragged my feet on the project, but just yesterday ordered a different one altogether. I will post my results when it comes in . It is a non branded h.264 unit from a company called Connections Plus out of Florida. They sent a really nice glossy catalog to me, so I thought I would give it a try. 60fps @ d1 resolution. This means 7.5 fps per channel, as it is an 8 channel.

I am anxious to compare the quality between this and Aver, as this unit will save some money. It is, however, a linux based system (with mouse and VGA). This means I probably won't like the software as much compared to Aver. But we will see when the unit gets here. I have never done stand-alones before, so this is new to me. I have always felt more comfortable building my own CPU and plopping a Aver or Geo card in it.

The cost on this DVR was $549.00. I'll be adding a 80.00 1TB drive to it, and of course a monitor.

I recently upgraded a few NV5000's system software from V7.1 to V7.7 and experienced a percieved reduction in the Preview frame speed to such an extent that my customers insisted on returning to V7.1. Has any one had the same problem? In all cases the increase in choppyness occurred with the dual NV5000 card setups.

I know they've added some additional features since 7.1. Can't remember what they were, but maybe its contributing to slowing down you system?

What are the specs on all the systems you've noticed a decline in? I wonder if there is a common demoninator in the handful of systems you've noticed this on or if its actually a problem with Aver?

I recently upgraded a few NV5000's system software from V7.1 to V7.7 and experienced a percieved reduction in the Preview frame speed to such an extent that my customers insisted on returning to V7.1. Has any one had the same problem? In all cases the increase in choppyness occurred with the dual NV5000 card setups.

i have also moved away from 7.7 and i buy my dvrs built from avers. 7.7 works well with the remote imatrix software from avers it has some good features on it

Thanks for responding. Upgrading from 7.1 to 7.7 added the i.a. Instant Replay on the Preview page and a.o. new menu items on the Setup pages. PC's are Core Duo on Intel 965 MB and Pentium D's on Intel D945 MB and D915 MB's. Checking the Processor's/Memory Performance under Task Manager did not reveal anything unusual or major differences.

Reinstalling 7.1 improved the smoothness on Preview noticeably and breaks in movement are less sharply defined. I'd really appreciate Avermedia providing info as to what the Preview fps should be, or what it is spec'd at? Our local Avers Rep referred to Preview as being realtime and was surprised that we weren't achieving it, but did mention that 'older' systems presented problems with upgrades beyond ver 5.5 or so. We've never seen realtime preview on any of our NV3000 or NV5000 installations and weren't expecting it either but with 7.7 it really becomes a problem.