G22

Connecting a 24V AC Transformer

I have a Panasonic Dome Cam with 3 wires (Black, White, and Green/Yellow) and an ATC Frost plug in Transformer (FPS4024).

I am not sure how to connect since the transformer only has 2 terminals which are not labelled at all. In the cam connections, it says White and Black are 24V AC and Green/Yellow is Ground when using 24V.

Do I just connect both the Black/White to one terminal, and the Green/Yellow to the other?

We had an actual installer do all this before, but I want to learn myself. Thx.

originally posted by G22:

Do I just connect both the Black/White to one terminal, and the Green/Yellow to the other?

ABSOLUTELY NOT

unless you have a fire extinguisher on standby!

The Black wire and the White wire are your 24v supply leads. They are not polarity specific so it doesn't matter which way round you connect them to the transformer.

Only connect to the transformer if you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN, that the terminals are your 24v output, otherwise your camera could be wrecked. If in doubt, see if you can borrow (or buy) a basic test meter to measure the voltage on each terminal.

The Green / Yellow Earth (ground) wire must only ever be connected to a suitably marked ground terminal.

If in doubt DO NOT connect to anything, until you've had some advice from someone who knows.

k thx.

I guess I will double check at the store I purchased it from. They had it setup as a demo and when they disconnected it, the green/yellow wire was not connected to anything. However in the cam manual, it says the green/yellow wire should be connected to ground.

That sounds like it is optional, just like with the Altronix Power Supplies that come with Ground connections. Might be some code thing in the first world too?

All a 24VAC camera needs is 24VAC, doesnt matter which way just not together!

Anyway, to make sure, what is the model of the camera? So we can look up the wiring diagram in the manual.

Rory

It is a WV-CF224. Here is the info on it... under Operating Instructions.

Under 'Power Connection' it says...

Caution:

• Be sure to connect the GND (grounding)

lead of the camera and grounding terminal

of the power supply when using a 24 V AC

power source.

Also, this ATC-Frost is the same power supply used on our WV-CP474 cam as well.

Ive never had to do that with any 24VAC cameras I have used, which were all I used for the first 3 years.

if thats what they say then I guess .. does the power supply have a seperate grounding terminal? No 24VAC Power Supplies I have used have ever had any thing like that.

Hmm, to make it simple, just get a 12VDC power supply

I still think that is optional. Just like using the ground terminal on an alarm panel.

No, it only has 2 terminals on the power supply, no extra grounding terminal.

And when they disconnected it at the store, I am almost certain the green/yellow wire was not connected to anything. The black/white wires were all twisted, and the green/yellow was completely untouched by the looks of it.

I guess I could try Radio Shack for a 12V. I need some BNC connectors anyway. The Radio Shack's in Canada do not seem to have much though.

I wanted to attempt this at the office this weekend. That way, I will not look like too much of an idiot if I break something.

Yeah, like I said, Ive never seen that before. Or it may have been there but Ive never used it.

It may just be something as an option against lightning strikes!

you could try a local electronic or eletrical store also. Rat shack doesnt have much down here also, if they do its triple the norm price.

The ground is there to ground the cam so you don't blow the cam if a surge occurs. The surge of electric will go down that wire, instead of to the cam. I always use a fused power supply from altronics. The only time I use a transformer is to spot test the camera. When you splice a connector, the ground is built in, it is either positive ground or negative ground. That is what that the circle around the plus or minus on the transformer diagram is.

Ahh, Okay. Yeah, we put everything on Line COnditioners here, cause we dont have surges, just brownouts and spikes, generally. Our power here is 3rd world, its horrible. If its not on a line conditioner it wont last long here. ..