phiota

Security/Video Surveillance Licensing?

Hi,

Looking to maybe start a security / video surveillance company in the US (just the security surveillance monitoring not installation). Do you know if I need to get licensed by any State/City governments to provide this service? Also if any regulations I need to watch out for? Would welcome any information (books, web sites...) that you think I should read up on this if any.

thanks,

John

I think that will vary from state to state. Check the state you want to be in. In our state, you do not need to be licensed. (Michigan). But if you want to do anything with ALARMS, you do have to be licensed... and they run background checks etc..

Oddly enough, you can be a locksmith, installing locks all over town that you have the keys to, and you do not need to have a license. Go figure....

I would tell you to set yourself up as a burlar alarm company. It will give you a better standing if a customer is selecting between a couple of different companies. Low end customers will be drawn to the "trunk thumpers" who are unlicensed. It will be up to you if you want to drop your prices to match, or to use low end products.

If you can tie in with a home builder / custom builder then you can put in structured wiring, intercom, central vac, alarm pre wire, or whole systems, audio, video, home theater wiring, and wireless networking.

You can get more customers by working with them during the building process. You will find that they will want you to set up the stereo equipment, computers, and to hang flat panels on the wall, and to hide the wires.

If you cannot pull alarm pre wire, then the builders may not work with you. You may not make a lot of money, but it will sustain you untill the big jobs come in.

What do you think?

Starting your own business is a big one today. I notice one poster suggest you start by the way of an alarm company. In my opinion thats the wrong way. I learned from past experience, the alarm and CCTV business shall not meet. Be in one business or the other. I speak from many years of being in the CCTV field. You mention getting a license. Our state(Indiana) doesn't require one. Many cities do. I am situated in Indiana on the border of Illinois. They passed a CCTV license law in Illinois without telling us. They now tell me, we have to work for a licensed company for 2 years and take a lengthy test. What a joke. You see next month, I'll be in business for 62 years. I plan to go into Federal court next week and get their ruling overturned. I should be Grandfathered in.

The license deal is to force the little guy out and let the big boys in. In Illinois if you have an alarm license you automatically get a CCTV license. Now for going into the CCTV business, install good quality equipment. You may spend a little more, but in the long run you will save money without having to make repeat service calls. Make yourself a good brochure. If you see a new shopping center "etc" being built, keep close attention if they have any stores ready to open. Nose around and find out who's going to open. The contractor can fill you in. The building owner will have that info also. Start in the small stores and then after you get your feet on the ground, go after larger installs. After you get a few good installs, make sure you have someone design you a attractive door sticker with your company name and phone number on it. I must point out, don't use a generic alarm sticker. They all look the same. It make cost you a few bucks, but it's worth it. At present the business climate is sort of bad for many, so don't expect making big money right off the bat. I wish you luck. I remember My very first installation. Since then I have developed it into over 7500 accounts.

I agree in theory with what you say about sticking to one profession and specialize.

Would that mean not installing speakers, and only specialize in installing flat panels, and projectors? I would say not.

When a company starts a new business, or moves to a new location they will need to get an alarm system. This is also the go to guy for video surveillance. They are both security. Most customers may pick one or the other. Businesses have no choice. Install an alarm, or pay the higher insurance rates!

Some will choose a standalone video surveillance system (Standalone DVR, or a PC based DVR) because they enjoy the thought of "no monthly recurring fee".

Others will go the video route, but may select guard tours, or a higher level of video interaction. This is done by Alarm Central Stations, and companies that specialize in video tours, and video guard.

What is the trigger to alert you to watch video? Did an alarm go off? Is there perimeter security? Is there just a simple burglar alarm system?

I would even suggest doing electronic access. That is part of the physical security. Some companies will install electronic access, and only see the system again when there is a failure, or an add on.

Other companies buy the card printers, and are active in making new employee cards, and decommisioning pass codes as employees exit, and programming new passcodes for entering employees.

Cheap systems may require onsite visits to program, and IP based systems will allow a "security company" to remotely program the system from their offices.

Only THE business owner will no which is good for him.

I see those who install internet wiring. I also see them lose jobs because they do not install telephone systems (whether PBX, or IP based).

If a company is going to come in and run network wiring, and they can set up the PBX, or IP based voip telephone then that company is going to get the bid.

The idea is to be flexible. There will be days that you may not earn money on CCTV, but your income will come from elsewhere. There will be days that the "other" will not make any money, but CCTV will go head over heels pulling in some serious cash.

It is the start up company that struggles. You are taking your own cash that was destined to do something else. It may be a 2nd mortgage on your house that has to be repaid, or it may be your retirement money that you are investing, or you could be pulling money from grandmothers, uncles, friends, and topping off every credit card you have.

If you have a venture capital company backing you up with a million dollars then I doubt one would come here for help.

THE QUESTION IS: How do I make the company earn money, and pay that money back in a timely fashion while earning an income at the sametime.

What am I good at? Sales? Installation? Business management? I do not have a clue, but I am going to do it anyway?

The idea is to surround yourself with people who are greater then you, and to become a great company.

For the uninitiated I would tell them to go work for a company, and see how it is done. Make your mistakes there where their balance, and counter balance quality control will prevent you from embarrasing yourself to your customer if you owned the business. See what works, and what does not work. What tools do they use? What procedure works, and what does not work. What makes that lead technition just standout? What makes the sales dept roll in the contracts?

As a business owner you will where several hats at once. The more hats you wear the more things that will slip through your fingers.

A small company can gain from guerrilla marketing. Think of the "crazy joe" auto sales commercials. They may be annoying, but they sure are selling alot of cars!

What can you do to get yourself noticed? What can you do to get in the news paper and get the recognition at no cost to you?

Will you be residential based, or commercial based? From the start will you be doing the obcene large jobs, or small jobs?

What do you think/

You are correct on many points, butfirst of all, forget about the money thing. Don't get caught behind the eight ball. Pay for what you recieve. Order small and get it COD. Buy equipment as you need it for a length of time.

For that thing of tackling any job, sounds great. But it spreads you thin. Make yourself feal like a pro in one field. Does a Nose Doctor treat feet? Get my message. You may get a tie in job like a sound system when you do camera job, but limit those other jobs. Concentrate on one thing and one thing only. In the long run it will pay off.

Be a pro. Attend confrences. Learn about new equipment that hits the market weekly. Soon the word will get around and the business will come your way. Service is a very vital part of the CCTV business. Another trick we use is very simple. If you have a good picture of a crime, make several copies for the police and owner and plainly mark them to be copied or published with credit to your company. If the pictures are good, this will be money in your pocket. I think I'm doing something correct. We will be in business 62 years St. Patricks day. (march17th)

I might mention, we have no salesmen on the street. We do have order takers and we are busy.

I am helping my cousin with his shop. We've set up a video surveillance system that claims to work great, but I need a 24 X 7 video surveillance service set up for him. I was wondering if there is any law against outsourcing this kind of work to overseas. I got a call from someone who said who could have a dedicated person to monitor all 4 cameras we've set up for just $99 a month. He also mentioned that his staff was located overseas. So I wonder if it is legal to work with this guy or if it makes sense to go with someone local.

I would say, stay within the country you opearte in. Even in the alarm business many companies have relied on overseas operatings to handle their monitoring. They experienced every kind of problem you can name. Mainly the way they speak. Some people in the USA cannot understand their way of speech.