florin

Building an underwater camera using a security camera

Hi guys,

This is my first attempt to build a system and despite of my extensive online research, I still cannot decide what camera will fit best my needs. Please help!

So, here are my needs:

- I want to build a system similar with these ones: [mod edit store link removed]

- I have a portable DVD player with Video Input, so all I need is a camera to hook to my "monitor".

- I want to build my own underwater enclosure for the camera.

- Water depth: 30 feet or less (am I dreaming for too much?)

I found lots of cameras on eBay, but there are so many variables involved: should I choose color or BW? what minimum illumination will work for my needs? do I need IR? do I need white led's?

Here are few options I found on eBay:

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270532006611&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330390570651&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350316251004&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260548550089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Most of these cameras are in the range of $50-$100, but which one is the best for my needs? Can I add IR to any of these? What IR will fit better to these? Please help.

Thanks,

Florin

i did this several years ago, there was a guy on the net selling a kit,it was a board cam with a custom led board,it came with seals and plexi lens too, to Finnish the kit i had to buy regular pvc plumbing parts..it really works pretty good..i will look for the name of the guy or website...

it was the boardman diy lunkercam ,just cut, paste, google...it works pretty good, ive used it for years with no problems..good luck.

He used to have images of the led curcuit board and diagrams of the whole setup,but when I just looked it looks like its not there anymore..but its the best diy setup I've seen. like I said, mine works great and still works after years of ice fishing.....cheap too...and I am not advertising, I don't know him...good luck..

Well, unfortunately, he doesn't ship to my location, but I got an ideea from his web site about what kind of camrea (lux, resolution) would perform OK for my project.

mrreddog, is your camera color or B&W? does it have IR or white leds? do you know the resolution and minimum illumination of your camera? That info would be really helpful, especially because you were happy with the camera when ice fishing and ice fishing is one of the reasons why I want to build mine as well.

Thanks again mrreddog,

Florin

i replied to your pm,mine is b/w,im pretty sure its the same one thats linked on his site,the better b/w one. and it has i think 8 ir leds,he didnt offer the white ones when i bought it 7 yrs ago..we even placed it a foot away from a doves nest and watched the eggs hatch till the hatchlings flew away.it was pretty neat..then i used it once for checking for a blockage about 30 ft down a 5 inch well. " title="Applause" />

I finished building the fishing camera. Here is a short movie with some building details and first test:

I finished building the fishing camera. Here is a short movie with some building details and first test:

Nice project and it seems to work really well. Thanks for sharing.