todd2

Loose BNC connection problem

If you are doing mobile installations, especially ones you don't want to revisit because of quality issues, you might want to consider using RG-179 cable as it is extremely thin. You can get the good stuff, silver plated copper shielding and center conductor which reduces loss considerable. This stuff is MIL spec and is extremely durable. You can also get this stuff in RG-59 as well. I wouldn't use the cheap stuff in mobile installations and I would avoid twist-on BNC connectors at all costs in this environment. Here's a link to some RG-179 cables with BNC on both ends.

http://www.stonewallcable.com/product.asp?dept_id=3013&pf_id=SC-7232

Thanks, but do they make a siamese cable using RG-179?

Thanks, but do they make a siamese cable using RG-179?

Don't know as I never had a need for it. Anything is possible. Try directly contacting this dealer as they seem to have or can get just about anything cable related.

One job, I had nothing but twist-ons to use. After less than a dozen of them, my wrist was sore, my fingertips were getting raw from the knurled barrels, and fingers on both hands were cramping.

Tip:

If you remove your pantyhose and put a couple of wraps around your fingers, you should not suffer as much damage to the skin, Sally. As far as pain in your muscles and ligaments, I recommend you change beverages from mineral water bottles to mini kegs for the purpose of strength training.

While I am absolutely sure that compression or even crimp on fittings are wonderful connectors, I have had no issues with the twist ons. Yes, they can be a PITA when it is cold outside (I do outdoor installs in -20c weather. Not because I'm John Wayne, I just like to eat in winter), but they do work when applied properly. Twist em on, add a couple of wraps of electrical tape in the same direction as how you tighten them and you're set.

As far as the comment about not having the right tools being the reason for using twist ons, well, that's just ludicrous. A $70 compression tool does not make you a qualified installer. The ability to plan an install, do it in time, following building codes, keep it looking like you did it while sober, overcoming obstacles without having to phone for technical and moral support 17 times a day and finally having the customer say they are happy with what you provided them with after you do a walk through with them, explaining how to use the system and calling them back after a week or two for a simple follow up makes you an installer.

One job, I had nothing but twist-ons to use. After less than a dozen of them, my wrist was sore, my fingertips were getting raw from the knurled barrels, and fingers on both hands were cramping.

Tip:

If you remove your pantyhose and put a couple of wraps around your fingers, you should not suffer as much damage to the skin, Sally. As far as pain in your muscles and ligaments, I recommend you change beverages from mineral water bottles to mini kegs for the purpose of strength training.

You left out the part where I question why anyone would willing want to subject themselves to this when there are plenty of other options available. As you say, lack of proper tools is not an excuse. A few twist-ons are great to keep around for those "oh crap" moments when you don't have the tools handy, but...

While I am absolutely sure that compression or even crimp on fittings are wonderful connectors, I have had no issues with the twist ons. Yes, they can be a PITA when it is cold outside (I do outdoor installs in -20c weather. Not because I'm John Wayne, I just like to eat in winter), but they do work when applied properly. Twist em on, add a couple of wraps of electrical tape in the same direction as how you tighten them and you're set.

Do you use the super-expensive tape that will still work at -20? Would be cheaper and easier to just use crimp/compression at that point, no?