robert

Same spec, different size

A few items come to mind:

1. the Samsung is a larger chip, 1/3" vs 1/4" for the KT&C

2. the Samsung is a dual-voltage camera, meaning it has an internal rectifier and regulator to allow it to run on 24VAC or 12VDC, while the KT&C is 12VDC only with no regulation

3. the Samsung uses a C/CS-mount lenses, which itself is physically a much larger lens mount

4. the Samsung also has an auto-iris driver, which is additional circuitry

5. it doesn't state it, but chances are good that the Samsung uses a mechanical IR cut filter for day/night switching, which adds more bulk as well, vs. the KT&C, which states that it does "digital day/night"

Beyond that, there's not a lot of "specs" to compare. It wouldn't shock me to find that the KT&C specs are overstated somewhat.

A few items come to mind:

1. the Samsung is a larger chip, 1/3" vs 1/4" for the KT&C

2. the Samsung is a dual-voltage camera, meaning it has an internal rectifier and regulator to allow it to run on 24VAC or 12VDC, while the KT&C is 12VDC only with no regulation

3. the Samsung uses a C/CS-mount lenses, which itself is physically a much larger lens mount

4. the Samsung also has an auto-iris driver, which is additional circuitry

5. it doesn't state it, but chances are good that the Samsung uses a mechanical IR cut filter for day/night switching, which adds more bulk as well, vs. the KT&C, which states that it does "digital day/night"

Beyond that, there's not a lot of "specs" to compare. It wouldn't shock me to find that the KT&C specs are overstated somewhat.

KT&C is 1/3" Sony Super HAD CCD Ⅱ

Samsung has digital day/night, the same as KT&C

The odds are that Samsung could put together something like the other camera, but most users of their products are used to a "Box" style camera.

Most products of this type are installed in a way (enclosures, drop-down mounts) that size does not play a large factor, anyway.

Heat dissipation may also play a factor, the larger style may end up lasting longer.

Larger power board, dual voltage, MORE Boards for power and Video, larger boards with more circuitry (more features), larger lens mount.

In most cases, the images from a box camera such as that, can easily blow away an image from a bullet camera - but, many people dont want the larger box these days, the hassle of focusing it, additional installation especially if used outdoors, and the higher cost associated with it. So we settle for what could be a lesser image from a bullet camera, though good enough for most applications.

Additionally, even though it seems to be the same specs it is not. There are various ranges of Sony Chips and they are based on price also, so as an example the cheaper Sony SuperHad chip in the bullet camera will not be the same as the more expensive Sony SuperHad chip used in the Box camera.

EDIT:I just checked again and the Samsung Box camera seems to also be Digital Day Night.

KT&C is 1/3" Sony Super HAD CCD Ⅱ

D-oh! Dunno how I missed that before

In any case...

Specs only tell you so much. I could show you a $50 camera and a $500 camera that list the same specs, but one will be FAR FAR better quality than the other - not just picture quality, but construction quality.

This is by no means limited to CCTV; it's a problem with electronics of all sorts, where specs and measurements can be "fudged" because there's a lack of standardization in how things are measured.

A favorite example of mine are a pair of amps I had in my old car's stereo system: the sub amp was rated 2x30W, the front-end amp 2x85W... but the former cranked out FAR more clean power, enough to shake the car with a pair of 8" subs. Under full load (subs paralleled, amp bridged, for a 2-ohm load), the sub amp could blow a 30A fuse, giving a good indication of its true current draw. The front-end amp, meantime, would puss out before fully driving the front 6.5" three-way speakers, and wouldn't pop its 10A fuse no matter how hard I tried.

Why the disparity? Because there is (or was, at the time) virtually NO standardization in how car-amp output is measured, so manufacturers could perform all sorts of trickery to make their numbers look inflated (as far as car audio goes, output wattage of amps is about the equivalent to TVL for CCTV cameras - everyone pushing for higher numbers that don't really mean anything, but it sounds more impressive). Yet that 2x30 amp retailed originally for close to $600, while the 2x85 retailed at about $125. As with just about anything else electronic, you really get what you pay for.

These KT&C bullets seems to very nice for semi-covert indoors installs like small shops, service stations, gas station shops. They also have monochrome, outdoor, day/night. Dont know about image quality, so, anybody used this brand? Feedback?

These KT&C bullets seems to very nice for semi-covert indoors installs like small shops, service stations, gas station shops. They also have monochrome, outdoor, day/night. Dont know about image quality, so, anybody used this brand? Feedback?

So far from what Ive used they have been okay, will be trying out their latest models very soon. They have mini cube cameras also, which can be used to build your own hidden cameras. They are one of the very few if not only one still making mini BW Exview cameras which is a must for alot of bars and clubs.

The KT&C has an f2 lens, which is one and a half stops slower than an f1.2. I think they also make an Ex-view version, and I thought about getting one, but would prefer an f1.2 or f1.4. Of course, if you prefer covert, then the much smaller f2 is ideal.

Best,

Christopher

So far from what Ive used they have been okay, will be trying out their latest models very soon.

Given that they have both ExView and Super HAD CCD II, would be interesting to compare the two sensor technologies.

Best,

Christopher

So far from what Ive used they have been okay, will be trying out their latest models very soon.

Given that they have both ExView and Super HAD CCD II, would be interesting to compare the two sensor technologies.

Best,

Christopher

Ill just be getting the BW Exview 420TVL which is the lowest lux camera they have, and the non exview Color 550TVL bullet and mini cameras, so I wont be able to compare but I know SuperHad wont match the Exview anyway, unless of course they specifically mention Superhad 2 or 3 but none of them ever do anyway, remember this will be the cheapest chips from Sony as its in a bullet camera.

The KT&C has an f2 lens, which is one and a half stops slower than an f1.2. I think they also make an Ex-view version, and I thought about getting one, but would prefer an f1.2 or f1.4. Of course, if you prefer covert, then the much smaller f2 is ideal.

Best,

Christopher

Yeah I need to ask them about that, for color it doesnt matter to me but for the BW exview an f:1.2 would be better. I wonder if that is not a typo, I will email my contact at KT&C when i get a chance. Ofcourse could always source the lenses elsewhere and just replace them.

Ofcourse could always source the lenses elsewhere and just replace them.

I'm guessing they selected the f2 for size reasons. Can't really tell from the photo, but an f1.2 may not fit the barrel.

Best,

Christopher

Ill just be getting the BW Exview 420TVL which is the lowest lux camera they have, and the non exview Color 550TVL bullet and mini cameras, so I wont be able to compare but I know SuperHad wont match the Exview anyway, unless of course they specifically mention Superhad 2 or 3 but none of them ever do anyway, remember this will be the cheapest chips from Sony as its in a bullet camera.

KT&C has several bullets with Super HAD CCD II.

According to documents I have reviewed, ExView has about twice the sensitivity of Super HAD in the visible spectrum and about four times the sensitivity in the near infra red spectrum. According to a press release, Super HAD CCD II has between +4 db and +7 db improvement over Super HAD. I've also seen data sheets that indicate that Super HAD CCD II has better sensitivity than ExView. So, while ExView has been a better low light choice over Super HAD in the past, these various reports and data sheets suggest that the redesigned Super HAD CCD II may be edging out ExView.

Best,

Christopher

KT&C has several bullets with Super HAD CCD II.

According to documents I have reviewed, ExView has about twice the sensitivity of Super HAD in the visible spectrum and about four times the sensitivity in the near infra red spectrum. According to a press release, Super HAD CCD II has between +4 db and +7 db improvement over Super HAD. I've also seen data sheets that indicate that Super HAD CCD II has better sensitivity than ExView. So, while ExView has been a better low light choice over Super HAD in the past, these various reports and data sheets suggest that the redesigned Super HAD CCD II may be edging out ExView.

Best,

Christopher

This is the color model I would be using:

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=425

Though it has Superhad 2 it is only 0.5 lux (0.05 lux faceplate), but im using them indoors anyway, or outdoors with lots of light.