drvnbysound

Video Management IP Software

So I know I want a PC-based DVR... but I have been battling the idea of getting a GeoVision card and installing analog cameras, or getting higher resolution IP cameras. I know there are pros and cons of each, and Ive read a lot of people say that IP cameras arent necessarily ready for primetime in the CCTV world. That said, I know I could have a much better chance of recognition and identification with higher resolution cameras. However, I really dont know of any good software that supports IP cameras - more specifically Axis cameras since they are more than likely what I would end up installing. As with most everyone, I am on a budget, so I'm not trying to break the bank on software.

From what I have seen in the past, is that many companies that support IP cameras charge a license fee for each camera. Is there any software that doesnt (maybe up to say 16 cameras)? I know Axis has their own software, but I believe it runs upwards of $400 or so - and Im really not sure how good it actually is. Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

One additional question regarding GeoVision... if I were to purchase one of their combo cards, which comes with the NVR software which supports IP cameras - are there then license fees also associted with each camera?

Understood, and I have looked at ACTi before. However, I have used many Axis cameras for work in the past and have had a great overall experience with them. Pelco is another brand that I am also looking at and have also used in the past as well.

Id prefer some software that was fairly brand agnostic - and the ACTi software is definitely not that.