Tailbone215

Looking for Windows 7 NVR and DVR solutions.

I'm looking to future proof my installations and wonder what the pros out here are using for Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit installs? While we are all comfortable with XP it will no longer be supported by Microsoft in 2014. Since a lot of my clients are slowly shifting to the 64-bit platform,l I want to be ready and not have to reinvent the wheel by suffering through trial and error sessions.

Hopefully this post won't get deleted. Mods, if you feel this post is inappropriate for this forum please PM and let me know what I need to do to conform to the forum standards. Thank you.

Just because it won't be supported anymore doesn't mean it will stop working... just means they'll stop issuing updates. I have an old Capture DVR built on Win98 on one site, still chugging away... and I can rebuild it with Win98 if I really want to.

I agree with Soundy but I also agree with the OP to an extent. Eventually they will force our hands as hardware drivers no longer become available for XP, as they did with 98/Me. It really does suck though since XP blows away Windows 7 IMO hey by then perhaps there will be something ready for Ubuntu? Personally I never use Windows Updates anyway but thats just me

I think this is 100% appropriate no worries. Although if you are looking for DVR info this may be the wrong forum for that

I agree with Soundy but I also agree with the OP to an extent. Eventually they will force our hands as hardware drivers no longer become available for XP, as they did with 98/Me.

Agreed on the driver issue...

Really, I think the OP's question is like a solution looking for a problem. The answer: instead of looking for hardware/software that will work on Win7 so you can start installing Win7... wait until you HAVE hardware that can/must install on Win7, THEN worry about installing it.

"Future proofing" really isn't an issue, since I think everyone here will tell you, if you're upgrading your card/software, you should start with a fresh install of Windows anyway... so you don't need to worry about building a system with XP and then making newer software work on it; when the time comes, just install Win7 clean and then add the newer software.

NVRs are separate computers and nobody works on them. They just sit in cabinet and do their job. Whats the difference is it Win 7 or Win 98?

For NVR software I have 2 servers both on windows 7 pro x64. All my cameras are 5mp on both systems and I record to multiple striped mirrored drives (raid10) and archive/backup to drives set in a raid5 config. On one I run a 9 camera Milestone basis plus I upgraded to the latest edition. Milestone says it wont work in win7 but I tested it out for a while with no issues and its been running fine for 2 months. The second runs avigilon 6 cameras. Avigilon says windows 7 is supported. I have had a few quirks with it here and there nothing that prevented recording though. Also I was exporting images once I usually make a folder on the desktop and export there but I accidentally exported directly to the desktop and when it filled up windows explorer crashed. The avigilon recording server background process still ran the viewing client did not but the cameras were still recording. I had to reboot in safe mode and clean up the desktop and reboot a few times then all was good. On a single processor system XP is faster but I dont believe it can properly utilize a multi-core processor. Windows 7 can use my quad core processor efficiently and 7 can multitask so I believe the gap is narrowed with the proper hardware. Opening one program does not freeze everything. Disk transfer rates are faster than xp with the same disk hardware. XP would also benefit from weekly rebooting or it would slow down and get quirky, which I have not had to do with 7. XP is 8 years old when it originally came out it had issues microsoft issued service packs which pretty much straightened things out so if you have a program you have been running on XP for several years and it works fine then I see no reason to change to anything else if it isnt broken dont fix it.

Will

On a single processor system XP is faster but I dont believe it can properly utilize a multi-core processor.

XP can utilize a multi-core processor just fine.

Windows 7 can use my quad core processor efficiently and 7 can multitask so I believe the gap is narrowed with the proper hardware. Opening one program does not freeze everything.

Opening one program in XP does not freeze everything either, as long as it is not bad software - YES, I can also lock up your Windows 7 with a simple script.

XP would also benefit from weekly rebooting or it would slow down and get quirky, which I have not had to do with 7.

No more then Win7, in fact Win7 with its excessive use of memory would require more reboots if anything. XP should not require a reboot unless one is running bad software.

FWIW, I just did a clean install of Win7 on a laptop and tried installing Vigil as an NVR, and it worked just fine (well, except the laptop is sorely under-powered for this, but hey...). Dunno how the capture card drivers would get along with Win7 though.