G22

RG59 from Home Depot good enough?

An alternative to using coaxial cable is to use UTP, unshielded twisted pair with baluns. What the balun manufacturer's don't emphasize is that with the unpowered (passive) baluns, the color burst portion of the signal drops off rapidly. If we're going more than a couple of hundred feet to a digital recorder, then we're going to used a powered balun at the headend to insure that we have a good color signal.

http://www.videoguardit.com/cctv_essentials.html

I need a couple of 100 ft. lengths of siamese coax and I considered buying the pre-made cables with the bnc's and barrel connectors made on them but almost every site I go to the pre-made cables dont appear to be Rg59 coax.

Im afraid to buy them for fear they are not as good. Can this be true?

Thanks,

Dennis

They are most likely RG56 or something of that grade, stick to at least RG59, which itself isnt exactly that thick, but works good.

You know what, it just come to me that if I bought pre-made how in the h$#l would I pull all those connectors thru the walls.

I believe my best choice would be to buy the coax and......then install the connectors.

What was I thinking, duh.

Jim,

I hate to burst your bubble, but quad shield cable is not the correct construction for composite video (the type of signal most CCTV cameras product). It is great for cable TV, but not for CCTV.

Hope this helps.

Howard