G22

RG59 from Home Depot good enough?

I picked up some RG59 at Home Depot today, it does not say RG59/U however.

It says on the cable...

RG-59 FOAM 20 AWG 75c (UL) E111378 CL2 CSA LL77501 FT-1 "OR" CATV E135174

Is this good enough to use? It is for an internal dome cam.

I think I will wait and get decent RG59 then. I don't want cheap quality cables at all. Thx.

On a similar note, I also picked up some power cable from Home Depot (looks like phone cord). It is 24AWG. Is that decent enough? The run is prob around 80 feet if that.

When our other cam was installed, the tech used 18AWG and the run is around 60 feet and goes outside. It is also inside a Pelco housing w/fan/heater.

Does it have copper braiding? Cooperman can fill you in on the importance of copper braiding for transmitting CCTV signals.

What kind should I use then? Does it say RG59/S or similar?

I was going to pick some RG59/U up tomorrow at the local store I deal with... but now I don't know.

If you are running the wire in a commercial ceiling, always use shielded. There is always electrical wires running the same path or at least crossing your wire.

What markings/codes/etc should I be looking for? I will be getting 100ft.

I am not understanding this... if U means unshielded in RG59/U, what other names are there for 'shielded'?? RG59/S?

That spytown link has RG59/U, then says shielded 95%.

I can't comment on the 'shielded' question other than to say that you want to get copper shielding -- the more copper the better. Others here know a lot more about this, so we should wait to hear from them...

The current cable designation numbers are at best severely flawed. How are coaxial cables identified? Well technically, only cables that are made to U.S. Government specifications can be marked with the "RG" designation. But in reality, many manufacturers/importers pay little or no attention to the requirements. In those situations, it is up to the purchaser to demand that specific standards be fulfilled. However, as sadly as it is, most of the energy goes into bickering over the cost instead of the quality. And even if the cable carries the designated number, there are often cost cutting activities going on right under your nose. Following find the designated characters legend for cables.

R - Means … Radio Frequency

G - Means … Government

8 - The number in a government assigned approval number

/U - Means it is a universal application.

Letters that appear before the /U characters (i.e. A, B or C) means a specification modification or revision. For instance, it is common in the CB industry to see the designation RG-58A/U. The original RG-58/U coaxial cable had a solid enter conduct. The "A" modification replaced the solid center conductor with a more flexible stranded center conductor (that is highly recommended for use in mobile installations).

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/rg-flaws.htm

To simplify matters, only use coaxial cable with copper braid and copper core. No aluminum at all. 95% copper braid is best but short runs are ok with 70%. Very important to get copper braid.

Power wire should be 18 ga. Short runs 20 ga ok. 24 ga is way too thin even if you pair some together. Your voltage drop will be terrible and will result in bad video.