Sign in to follow this  
buellwinkle

Mobotix M12 lens question

I think I would prefer to have less of a wide angle lens on my Mobotix M12D because faces are to far way to recognizable. Sending it in to the factory to have a lens swap is 300 euro, ouch. On the Flip cameras, people are gluing a ring adapter for a camcorder lens like from SunPack and then you can screw on a various number of lenses to make it more wide angle or more telephoto. Do you think that would work?

121823_1.jpg

I think this could technically be possible. You would have to play around with a variety of telephoto lens converters and spacing to get the right focal point for the setting you want. I see a few drawbacks though:

1. Most likely any add-on lens and mounting solutions would not be weatherproof and would easily fog or become water saturated.

2. Depending on how much time you spend making a solution that works and overcomes drawback one, are you losing out on time that you could be billing to clients?

It may seem like 300 is a lot but when you factor in the value of your time, may be a good deal. You may also consider adding a second camera to augment your current functionality, maybe a M24 with a 43mm lens

Just some ideas and food for thought.