residentialSean

Using my television as an additional monitor

Greetings to Everyone: I am brand new here and quite impressed with the vast array of info. listed in each topic area. I am currently hooking up three outdoor (Night Owl Pro Series 540) cameras to monitor some perimeter spots on my home. I have a DVR and monitor so that I can playback the recorded video. I am interested however to see if it would be possible to also use my living room television as an additional way of viewing what's going on outside without getting up to another room where the DVR is.

I would like to just be able to change my TV's input on the remote to switch back and forth from watching tv to viewing all three camera fields. Is this feasible? Any technical suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Sean

Greetings to Everyone: I am brand new here and quite impressed with the vast array of info. listed in each topic area. I am currently hooking up three outdoor (Night Owl Pro Series 540) cameras to monitor some perimeter spots on my home. I have a DVR and monitor so that I can playback the recorded video. I am interested however to see if it would be possible to also use my living room television as an additional way of viewing what's going on outside without getting up to another room where the DVR is.

I would like to just be able to change my TV's input on the remote to switch back and forth from watching tv to viewing all three camera fields. Is this feasible? Any technical suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Sean

yes its pos if your tv has vga input (pc) all you would need is something like a kvm extender

http://www.wdminc.com/products/images/KVM_Extender_WDM.pdf

Depending on your unit it may already have either RCA outputs, or in the case of some of the newer or higher end machines you may find S cable or HDMI outputs as well. We do this on many of our homeowner installs just so that they can check out their security system from their recliners.

DVR should have a main bnc out. Run a coax line to your tv and convert the coax to a RCA composite and plug into yellow composite plug on back of the tv.

133662_1.jpg

Another option to look into is a channel modulator or channel injector. You can insert your security video feed into an unused TV channel. They are avialable in PAL, NTSC, and the newer digital ATSC if you can find a supplier that's up to speed on the newer north american standards. This is a common way to set up a single camera to see who's at the front door. Same principal to inject the video out from your DV into your TV channels on an unused channel. Make sure it is actually an unused channel in your selections. Most good channel modulators have quite a range of channels to choose from, but there are a few that only offer channel 3 or chennel 4 like what is used for older video game consoles or VCR inputs. Avoid the channel 3/4 only modulators. The other suggestions are cheaper and simple, just a cable run to your additional tv input. The channel modulators have an advantage to distribute to all of your TVs at the incoming source.

IF you are going to the modulation route, most convenient because you don't have to change in the input on your remote, make sure the modulator you purchase will work with your provider (UVerse, Dish...).