teddybear

Crappy CCTV system

Rory,

Your comments just put things in perspective (no pun intended) for me. WOW.

CCTVFAN

The progressive scan would work IF you could find both a camera and recorder that can work together.

Fortunately, the IP cameras (not the cheap web cams) are about to make a major presence in our industry. The cheap ones are getting better and the good one's are getther cheaper. IP cameras not only address the issues of interlaced -vs progressive, but have more scan lines and only require a CAT5 cable instead of coaxial cable. I recently had the opportunity to see a camera that almost does what they pretend to show on TV with the zooming capabilities of recorded video. Stay tuned folks!

Did you try to use a cell phone or two, around them? Have you tried Bluetooth around them? Have you hooked up a wireless network around them... a garage door opener, a car alarm? I will wait until the SUV replaces the horse and buggy

CCTVFAN

The progressive scan would work IF you could find both a camera and recorder that can work together.

Howard,

Thanks. In my past (LIMITED) experience finding a cam is less a challenge. Although brands like Sony only produce progress-scan CCDs for industrial cameras (for CAM), I did come across a much more affordable progressive scanning camera (some "unknown" brand using Hitachi CCD) that was only about the price of other expensive 2:1 interlaced cams. Very tempting.

But then finding the right DVR that records at 4xCIF (the second part of your tip) AND also gives all-round satisfactory performance/features needs more patience