teddybear

Crappy CCTV system

You need to look at the I-VIEW card, much cheaper and more features that GEO.

CRAP!!!!

No one has more features than Geo!!!

I hate Geo by the way, they are a bunch of buggers to deal with!!

Mate i bet you have not changed your video source, I bet its set to 320x240, so when you blow it up it looks like crud, go to the hammer and screwdriver, find Video Source and change it to 640x480SW and you should see an improvement, do not forget to change it on the recording as well.. fact is resolution and compression affect everything, if you want graet pics then less compressiion is needed, but in CCTV everything is trade off:

Larger Resolution= Larger files = less days kept.

Less Compression = Clearer Images = Larger Files

Cheaper Cameras = Less Resolution = Poorer Quality

Faster Shutter= Lower Light = Darker Picture

Wider Dynamic Range = More Noise = Less Detail

MPEG2= Excellent Detail= Large Files

ETC ETC ETC, fact remains...

1/ PC's will always have more features

2/ Standalones have better quality recordings

3/ PC's will achieve faster frame rates

4/ YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!

This is very good information. Thanks so much CCTV_Australia.

BTW, is the upgrade to version 7.0 free of charge? I have just recently purchased the GV-600 card. Can I ask the software from the supplier for free? Do you think they have it?

What be this dongle anywho... is it a USB thingy that is going to be a danglin from my USB port?

that is exactly what the dongle is......Looks like a dark green usb pen drive, a little shorter. I can't wait to see the looks on a customers face when someone steals the dongle and their dvr stops working...should be interesting.

What be this dongle anywho... is it a USB thingy that is going to be a danglin from my USB port?

Just say no to dongles!!!!!!!he he he..

Edited by Guest

I, to this day won't understand why so many of you still put up with the GEO bull****. I'm not necesaryly talking about I-VIEW, but there are more choices outhere for a DVR card. I mean, why spend *** bucks on a 16 channel, 120fps card, when you can get something with similar specs, and features for around 150 less?

I will never understand that one.

probably because the percentage saving is only around 10 - 15%. Not enough for many people to take the perceived risk of buying other than the market leader especially when Geo has all the features most users will ever need. There used to be a saying "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM". Not that I'm drawing any comparisons between the two.

When I bought my own GV250 card last year I researched what was available but went eventually with my perceived safe option.

GEOvision a safe option? From the posts on this forum, i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole! Besides the fact that all Geovision is, is software, they dont make their cards,and ugly software at that. It could control the Space Shuttle but if it looks like crap and gives all kinds of setup problems, etc, why would anyone sell it.

Just the fact that you need to use a Dongle is the #1 reason I would never use it.

Cant compare a respectable company like IBM to a small little company like GEOvision.

Obviously you still have the old client if that is what you are seeing.

I have the 720x480 & 720x576 De-interlace settings.

I was just informed that demo1.cctvsentry.com is in fact using v7 software... so you be correct.

I'm not sure why you're not getting the latest client downloaded though. Have you tried uninstalling the old version?

I deleted all GEO related stuff from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Still nothing. I can still access our site fine using v6.0.

Perhaps a .dll that has to be removed somewhere?

G22,

Delete the OCX file from your Downloaded Programs Folder in the Windows directory. Go into the Registry and remove the "GeoVision" folder for both the current local and user directories. The 7.0 version is compatible with systems that have 6.1 or 6.11, so you can update the MultiView to the latest and stil have access into slightly older systems. Unfortunately, the 6.05 version is going to require that you download the OCX file via web browser (again) to have access to that system with that version. This is a prime example of why I wish to steer away from GeoVision. They release patches and version revisions too frequently and it causes confusion for end users.

Good Luck

Scottj

yep, I found download.ocx and download~.ocx to name a few in the Downloaded Programs folder and removed them.

When I went back to the sentry site, it still downloaded ...6110.cab and there was still the same washed out Best Quality(640*480 De-interlace) option, but still no 720x480 that was mentioned.

I will try your other suggestions as well, thx.

I, to this day won't understand why so many of you still put up with the GEO bull****. I'm not necesaryly talking about I-VIEW, but there are more choices outhere for a DVR card. I mean, why spend *** bucks on a 16 channel, 120fps card, when you can get something with similar specs, and features for around 150 less?

That is because it is a matter of opinion. I am 100% positive Geo says the same about I-view.

That is because it is a matter of opinion. I am 100% positive Geo says the same about I-view.

I think that it also has to do with the fact that GEO'S name is just recognisable, example, back a few years ago, PACKARD BELL was the hottest computer, although it was a P.O.S., the name made the sale.

I think that it also has to do with the fact that GEO'S name is just recognisable, example, back a few years ago, PACKARD BELL was the hottest computer, although it was a P.O.S., the name made the sale.

Now dell is the P.O.S. of computers

Hi folks,

The problem with most digital recording is not the recorder, it's the 1940's video standards that we are using. Our NTSC cameras paint a picture of only 525 lines. What we miss is that it's done with 2 passes of 262.5 lines. Since there is a 60th of a second between the first pass and the second pass, we can only record one pass (262 lines). The best DVR (except the new IP type) can only record one pass otherwise it makes any moving object a blur. We are using a big fat crayon to paint a picture with detail. IT CAN'T BE DONE. The solution; 1) place your camera to get the largest target possible. 2) Keep your eyes open for the new IP type systems that use non-interlaced video with more than 525 lines.

Howard Kohnstamm, Videoguard Integrated Technologies, Inc.

and a cheap plug....http://www.videoguardit.com/cctv_essentials.html

Hi folks,

The problem with most digital recording is not the recorder, it's the 1940's video standards that we are using. Our NTSC cameras paint a picture of only 525 lines. What we miss is that it's done with 2 passes of 262.5 lines. Since there is a 60th of a second between the first pass and the second pass, we can only record one pass (262 lines). The best DVR (except the new IP type) can only record one pass otherwise it makes any moving object a blur. We are using a big fat crayon to paint a picture with detail. IT CAN'T BE DONE. The solution; 1) place your camera to get the largest target possible. 2) Keep your eyes open for the new IP type systems that use non-interlaced video with more than 525 lines.

Howard Kohnstamm, Videoguard Integrated Technologies, Inc.

and a cheap plug....http://www.videoguardit.com/cctv_essentials.html

Yes, too bad most DVRs dump one of the even/odd fields, i.e. recording only at say, 640x240 instead of 640x480, just to avoid the feather-line motion defects.

Those DVRs' assumption [that most NTSC cams are interlaced] is correct 98% of the time, but what if I am using a progressive CCTV camera (with non-interlaced CCD transfer), then I would want to have the flexibility switching to use the FULL 525 lines for recording.

The embarassment is that videos normally show nice/okay to our customers during live monitoring, but all square pixels start showing up once we put it in playback mode (and we were criticizing their old VCR system during sales)

I think the main selling point that we have to remember what DVRs came into play for, was ... ease of use and longer recordings - there is NO TAPE. Tell the client how long it would take searching hours of tapes, compared to using for example, motion detection in a DVR ...

Rory

I think the main selling point that we have to remember what DVRs came into play for, was ... ease of use and longer recordings - there is NO TAPE. Tell the client how long it would take searching hours of tapes, compared to using for example, motion detection in a DVR ...

Rory

Thanks for the tips. Absolutely agreed. Should focus on the real strengths of DVR, and set the right expectation for the customer.

Rory

Thanks for the tips. Absolutely agreed. Should focus on the real strengths of DVR, and set the right expectation for the customer.

Yah know its only human to only want more

living down here i do it all the time ...its when i think of those poor people just a block away from me (over the hill) kids getting drinking or shower water from a community water pump, or a family of 10 living in a small 10x10 wooden shack ... that I thank gawd im in the position that I am, even though its not the best, but at least I can afford drinking water ..