jeromephone

video walls

anyone done one? I have a customer who may want to venture into 4-6 lcd monitors and have security cams and other video feeds to this monitoring station. i envision running geo cms on two to three large screens and then use one or two screens for things like boiler monitoring screen cable and maybe some kind of alarm panel indicatior. cost is a factor I have looked at orion monitors but don't know about the control software/computer etc. I see matrox has an eight output card that runs around 2 grand but I have had no experence in settting something like this up.

Depends how much realtime control you want over the display. If you want to be able to readily and easily change up displays, splits, banners and such, you'll probably need something specialized for video wall display. If you want the wall to be fairly static (same monitor will display the same thing all the time), you could do what you want with Vigil HD Viewer, using either all IP cameras, or analog cameras via a Vigil DVR. You could use a multi-head card, or multiple dual-head PCI cards to drive the monitors off a single machine - we have one site that's running a desktop monitor and one store display off the main PCI-E card, and three more store display off two basic PCI video cards. Windows XP supports multiple cards like this natively.