jxk716

Dome Help With Pictures

I am the security manager for a small non profit social work agency in a gritty, high crime area; footage is turned over to the police regularly and was used recently in a trial. Currently we have a 16 cam system, all BNC connected and they cover the entire perimeter and interior public locations. I was given $2000 to upgrade the current cameras and need help with getting the best for the money. The upgrade is at my discretion and I do not need to buy all new cams, just a few in key areas. Here is a link to the cams currently installed: http://www.ablcorp.com/VPD-411VADN.htm and here is a link with pictures showing the actual views http://picasaweb.google.com/jxk716/Cams# or see below.

Cams 3 and 16 are PTZ and do not need an upgrade. Also, all interior lights are out so lighting is not as well if they were on. However cam 6 looks at the door and on bright days there is a lot of darkness, even with lights on, in the lobby. What would be a better cam for this area so that subjects are clearly seen in this area during the day? I looked at some of those Samsung A1 cams but not sure.

Take a look at the night cams; this is where I need to cut down on the digital noise so subjects are more clear. Any suggestions? I would like to stay with a dome style but I am not sold on that. By the way, cam 3 PTZ is usually in focus but I forgot to change it from Auto focus and car lights tend to throw it off (not going to replace this one)

Cam 9 and 15 are wide angle, usually shadows at day and no lights at night. There are not the same as the others, have a lens of maybe a 1.7 or something like that, but not great quality, especially at night. They need to remain wide angle; any suggestions for those?

Again I am not looking to replace all the cams with the $2000, just enough in key areas like out front and/or in the alley (cams 13/14) or side (cams 9-10) at night. Maybe next year I will get another allowance to buy more. But for now, what do you think?

Edited by Guest

I'll go through your post more in a bit, but just off the top of my head, for your front door and hard lighting situations like that, you'll find the advice here pretty much unanimous: Panasonic WV-CP484 or WV-CW484 (box or dome style, respectively). The box model will probably be a bit cheaper than the dome, but you may need the extra ruggedness of the vandal-resistant dome in your situation. They tend to go for around $600 at online stores (according to a quick google search), which I realize is a big chunk of your budget, but there's little else on the market today that will handle bad backlighting like Panny's SuperDynamic III cameras.

For low-light areas, check the other threads here on the "CNB Mona Lisa" cameras - they're a nicely designed dome with good quality for the price and outstanding low-light response.

The Picasaweb link doesn't seem to work, BTW... tells me it's a broken link.

As Matt recommended CNB Monalisa is the good one I would recommend for outdoor vandal proof VBM-24VF its 600 TVL Day & Night ICR with verifocal

For indoor Cam 6 WDR Camera should take care of the lighting condition and balance the image better than what you would get from non WDR camera

I'd suggest WDR for camera 8, as well. Camera 3 is just out of focus, refocus it at night, or use a welding filter (#4-6) in front of the lens to simulate night while you focus it (good practice for setting up any cam with an auto iris lens)

Thanks for your suggestions, I will use them. The price of the CNB Monalisa is not high; I will get it but want to be sure it is worth the purchase. Can anyone share an example?