mallik

Need help/advice setting up system for convenience store

Hi, I wanted to setup a video security system for somebody who has a convenience store. They got held up recently (though nothing happened and thiefs ran away, fortunately), and after that they want to get this. I figured it might be better (and more fun) to setup a system myself. I don't know too much about this, but I'm hoping to learn. I've done some reading on it, and this is what I'm looking for:

- 2 to 4 cameras (if they had low light and/or zooming capabilities, that would be good, although that's probably something for another forum)

- DVR system to record and replay from each camera

- ability to view each camera simultaneously or individually

- ability to view off-site from another location would be good too

I don't know if some of these features are possible or if they're too far-fetched, but if anybody could give some pointers on how to get started, and possibly recommend some specific equipment, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm in Canada but I would be willing to buy from the US if I have to.

I'll take a stab at this..

It's very difficult, if not imposible, to offer very specific equipment recommendations based on such little information.

Camera selection will best be informed by exmaining a number of variables such as lighting conditions, distances, etc.

A wide variety of DVRs are avaiable, but again, the best one for your situation will depend on what features are needed, what features are desired, as well as the budget that you have to work with.

It is possible to design and install a system that is able to be viewed off-site, such as through the internet. Once again, the way in which this is accomplished, will depend on the purposes for doing so. Will this be used for "virtual tours" or "video verifiaction" in the case of duress alarm activation? Is it so that the owner can check up on emplyees? Or, is it more for the "gee whiz" factor?

In addition to CCTV equipment, setting up CCTV for a location that is a likely target for violent crime such as armed robbery also invovles other considerations such as alarm integration, employee screening, POS procedures, environmental design, physical security imporvements, interior and exterior lighting, and many other factors.

I feel I would be remiss if I did not also bring serious attention to the fact that the final recorded image quality wiill be extremely important. Employee theft notwithstanding, one of the primary purposes of a CCTV system in a convenience store setting is to provide evidence quality identification level video images. This requires a very high standard of equipment selection and installation. After a clerk has been injured or killed in a robbery is a little late to be finding out that your CCTV system wasn't good enough to provide investigators and proescutors with the information that they need to identify, apprehend, and prosecute the offender.

While I respect and support folks who want to do it themselves, and I have every sympapthy for small business owners on a budget.... I feel that my most reposnsible advice in this instance would be to encourage you to find a local CCTV and security professional to assist you. At least call a few places to see what they say and get a few quotes. If it is not possible to hire a pro, or if you are still motivated to do this yourself, and do the proper research in doing it correctly - then go ahead.

Many of us will do the best that we can to help, but keep in mind that it is difficult for the responsible professionals here to offer simple answers.

There is no single "best system" for "convenience stores". Each store is different. Each application is different. Each of us bring to the process different answers based on our different backgrounds and prior education and experiences.

VERY generally speaking... what you are looking to do is quite "doable" for a reaonable cost.

Do some google searches for "CCTV cameras", and similar search terms, and you will find many online retailers. Some of them offer packages, as well as telephone tech support in choosing and installing equipment.

In this way, you may be able to install a somewhat serviceable system.. However, to be done properly, and to provide the best evidence possible in the case of a violent crime, I would strongly encourage you to hire a pro.

Like I said, if you are dead set on doing it yourself, then many here will do what they can to help... but don't think for a second that, even with our help, your end result will be anywhere near the level of quality that you should get if you brought in a professional to do your system.

HTH

Hi, thanks for the advice. I understand that it might be best to hire a professional. I would like not go that route for the reason that I don't like paying somebody to do something that I can do myself. I understand a professional system would be better equipped, but it would be too expensive, and the store is not that big. There are not really any employees (usually store owner or people he knows at the store), so employee theft is not an issue.

I'm not necessary looking for the "best" DVR solution, but just something suitably equipped. I don't want to go out and get a camera only to read here that the thing is a piece of crap, so that's why I was hoping for some recommendations. To give you an idea about the store, it is generally in a safe area that is pretty busy, so an armed robbery (or attempt) is extremely extremely rare, which would probably explain why the robbers ran away without taking anything. If any crime were to happen, it would most likely be petty shoplifing (of a chocolate bar or something), or break and enter after store hours. During store hours the store is pretty well lit, and the main area to monitor would be the cash register area, which is about 5 ft. by 15ft. After hours there is minimal light so it would be low-light conditions. I was thinking of maybe having a hidden camera just outside the store to catch licence plates and things like that, but that isn't necessary. The off-site monitoring I wanted to do for safety reasons. As I mentioned above, employee theft is not an issue. Off-site monitoring would be like having a second person in the store in case something happens. This also is not a necessity, but might like to add later.

I hope that explains my situation. Any futher pointers and help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want the least expensive option it might be cheaper to put up a sensor operated light for out of hours. You wouldn't need such expensive cameras then & the light might spook any intruder.

Like Baywatch said. Try some Motion Sensor Lights, we have used them in several stores here where the owners didnt want to leave the lights on, they work well. Just make sure dont point the lights at any of the cameras or it will blind the view when they come on.

The best picture would be a Traditional Box camera, with a full lens such as a Fujinon, Tamron, or Computar. Look at GE KTC-840CE as its exview so works well at night also under low lighting, or really any camera from the brands such as Sanyo, Bosch, etc. If you cant spend that much then you could look at the OEM brands that run around 1/2 the price though they are normally 1/2 the quality also. With these cameras you will require some setup such as focus and back focus, and a couple dip switch settings.

Otherwise a color Bullet camera would be the cheapest and easiest way out. No setup, just plug and play. Dont bother with a day night bullet or one with IR, just install the motion sensor lights. You could also use a dome though sometimes they require focusing. Domes in the brand names are much more expensive than the Box cameras.

DVRs, how many cameras makes the difference, as well as whether you want a PC based full of features, or a stand alone, and whether you want a full featured brand name stand alone, or a simple budget one. Where you are located also makes a difference, UK, USA, etc.

Seen as you are in CA, it would be a good idea to purchase from a local dealer, that way you have local tech support on the products, and a local warranty. plus you are helping out your local economy. You can still install it yourself.

Rory