eug

exacqVision or LuxRiot or QNAP VioStor NVR?

I'm currently deciding between exacqVision, LuxRiot, and a QNAP VioStor VS-2012 NVR.

I've been trying to get more info on exacqVision, but their website is pretty light on details. I can't even download the manual as it requires a login. Does it have 'region of interest' support, so I can highlight a certain area and look for motion there? Will that feature work ok on an Atom machine?

LuxRiot looks good and is cheaper than exacqVision, but people here seem to have a thing for it so I thought I should check it out. Why would a person pick EV over LR, seeing that LR is cheaper? The only thing I can see is that EV is more efficient, i.e. it can run on a low-powered system like an Atom. Does this sacrifice anything though?

A ready-to-go QNAP VioStor VS-2012 looks interesting too - atom based, supports 12 megapixel+ cameras, pre and post-alarm recording, 2 hot-swappable drive bays, etc.

I intend to hook up 7 ACTi megapixel cameras, most likely the ACM-3511.

Are there any other software packages or NVRs I should look at, that's available in Australia? Milestone is way too expensive. exacqVision looks to be around US$110ish per channel plus the cost of a computer, the QNAP, locally-sourced, works out to be slightly more than exacqVision plus a computer. Nuuo costs way more.

thanks

I'm currently deciding between exacqVision, LuxRiot, and a QNAP VioStor VS-2012 NVR.

I've been trying to get more info on exacqVision, but their website is pretty light on details. I can't even download the manual as it requires a login. Does it have 'region of interest' support, so I can highlight a certain area and look for motion there? Will that feature work ok on an Atom machine?

Yes you can search just for motion in a certain area and yes it will run on a Atom machine for small camera counts.. Exacq is very very light on processor and memory you just need good video and network cards. The Exacq EL box is a Atom based and I have sold many Atom setups without any problems. I would recommend them for server only setups but that is because I have used it on highend machines.

LuxRiot looks good and is cheaper than exacqVision, but people here seem to have a thing for it so I thought I should check it out. Why would a person pick EV over LR, seeing that LR is cheaper? The only thing I can see is that EV is more efficient, i.e. it can run on a low-powered system like an Atom. Does this sacrifice anything though?

Exacq is a enterprise class solution LuxRiot is not. I can install Exacq for 1 camera setups to hundreds of cameras at hundreds of locations. It is easy to install and upgrade and it just works. I have been installing Exacq for over a year and I haven't had one crash on windows based machines. It works with everything Windows, Linux, Mac, Iphones, Blackberrys, Android, EI, Firefox and everything else I have tried.

A ready-to-go QNAP VioStor VS-2012 looks interesting too - atom based, supports 12 megapixel+ cameras, pre and post-alarm recording, 2 hot-swappable drive bays, etc.

I intend to hook up 7 ACTi megapixel cameras, most likely the ACM-3511.

Are there any other software packages or NVRs I should look at, that's available in Australia? Milestone is way too expensive. exacqVision looks to be around US$110ish per channel plus the cost of a computer, the QNAP, locally-sourced, works out to be slightly more than exacqVision plus a computer. Nuuo costs way more.

Exacq is $150 per license with a optional $25 per camera yearly upgrade fee. They come up with 4 major upgrades per year.

thanks

I've been trying to get more info on exacqVision,

Try the free demo. It has all the features of the licensed version but is limited to one camera at a time. I used the demo for several weeks and then decided to purchase the licensed version.

Best,

Christopher

Well, thewireguys just answered pretty much everything while I was typing, but here you go anyway:

I've never used QNAP, so part of my response is just based on what I just read from their website. First, it looks like a pretty good little system. I'm not sure, however, how easy it would be to add additional storage. Looks like you might be tied in to using their hardware for any NAS or esata. It also states up to 36 fps at VGA for each channel. That might drop significantly for megapixel cameras, but if it's listed somewhere, I can't find it. Maximum simultaneous playback is 4 channels. For small systems I doubt you'd need more than that. It might work out pretty well, but I'd really want to try it out before installing one.

About exacq - Yes, it has 'smart search'. Works pretty well too. If you're having trouble finding out more about it, check out http://www.exacq.com/blog/tag/release-notes/. Look through the rest of it too. They also have some videos on youtube. It is more expensive than LuxRiot, but considerably easier to use (personal opinion). It does use less resources than a lot of NVRs, but I'd be hesitant to put it on an atom system (the N280 is still below the minimum requirements for an exacq server). It's the client side that will need a beefier computer. Decoding h.264 or mpeg will use a decent amount of the cpu and memory, which is why the client requirements are usually a little higher. Features like the smart search are done on the computer running the exacq client software and not the server (unless you're running both on one), so doing a smart search from a netbook or something with an atom could take a little longer to give you results. Playback as well might be a little shaky as it tries to process the video as fast as it's coming in.

I like Luxriot, just not nearly as much as exacq. One of it's big benefits is being an affordable hybrid system. Compatible analog capture cards are pretty cheap when you compare them to an exacq hybrid server. Luxriot's a little more difficult to set up, and its search is really cumbersome. The ability to set up a lower resolution stream for remote viewing is nice, but that's something that exacq just added to their web server.

Nuuo and milestone are both really nice, and the price reflects that. They're much more targeted towards larger mission critical installations though. I'd talk to some dealers and look at some demo servers running exacq and luxriot, and see which one would work better for you.

Well, thewireguys just answered pretty much everything while I was typing, but here you go anyway:

I've never used QNAP, so part of my response is just based on what I just read from their website. First, it looks like a pretty good little system. I'm not sure, however, how easy it would be to add additional storage. Looks like you might be tied in to using their hardware for any NAS or esata.

That shouldn't be a problem as it takes standard SATA hard drives, up to 2TB per slot. They can be purchased box-only without any drives, in fact.

It also states up to 36 fps at VGA for each channel. That might drop significantly for megapixel cameras, but if it's listed somewhere, I can't find it. Maximum simultaneous playback is 4 channels. For small systems I doubt you'd need more than that. It might work out pretty well, but I'd really want to try it out before installing one.

Mmm yeah, I can't find too many people who have tried it. There are a few posts here about it, but the posters didn't give a lot of details about their setup, unfortunately.

About exacq - Yes, it has 'smart search'. Works pretty well too. If you're having trouble finding out more about it, check out http://www.exacq.com/blog/tag/release-notes/. Look through the rest of it too.

Ahh yes, that link has some info on smartsearch. Looks like what I'm after.

It does use less resources than a lot of NVRs, but I'd be hesitant to put it on an atom system (the N280 is still below the minimum requirements for an exacq server).

I was planning on using a dual-core Atom N330 as the server. The Exacq EL does use an Atom processor as thewireguys mentioned, although they don't give any specs on it. I was a little hesitant myself, but people here seem to have no problems running small installs on an atom... the EL supports up to 24 cameras too. The atom's lower power usage is quite attractive..

It's the client side that will need a beefier computer. Decoding h.264 or mpeg will use a decent amount of the cpu and memory, which is why the client requirements are usually a little higher. Features like the smart search are done on the computer running the exacq client software and not the server (unless you're running both on one), so doing a smart search from a netbook or something with an atom could take a little longer to give you results. Playback as well might be a little shaky as it tries to process the video as fast as it's coming in.

Does that mean doing a search remotely from somewhere else would be pretty slow, as every frame would have to be sent to the remote PC for processing?

I like Luxriot, just not nearly as much as exacq. One of it's big benefits is being an affordable hybrid system. Compatible analog capture cards are pretty cheap when you compare them to an exacq hybrid server. Luxriot's a little more difficult to set up, and its search is really cumbersome.

Hmm ok, I'll still keep them in mind. I'm trying to see if I can swap the acti cameras for some Areconts while not sacrificing too much on the NVR side.

Exacq will run on a Atom 330 no problem. I have personally tested this with 10 MP cameras from Arecont Acti and Axis. I recommend the Zotac boards if your going to use it for a client/server setup but most of our installs the customer already has a computer on site so we setup the Exacq setup as a headless system.

Here is a link to the videos:

http://www.exacq.com/support/videolibrary.html

I can set you up with a demo license if you need one.

I have installed VS-5020 and 18 megapixel cameras in our office. It supports max network throughput 138Mbps, and works well with megapixel recording, pre- and post-alarm recording and etc.

To use 7 ACTi megapixel cameras, VS-5012 maybe a great and affordable solution.

VS-5012 also supports max network throughput 138Mbps and 5 SATA HDD for long-term recording.

Most important is that you don't need to buy the license anymore.

View the video of VioStor NVR

I'm not sure if any one else is selling Exacq yet in Aus but when I was looking into it I came across a company called Zoneaps.

I ended up with a login for several days for their office exacq server, the client and a few other documents that helped.

Regarding ExacVision SW.

2 month ago I sell 14 Megapixel ACTi (acm 3411 and acm 3511) cameras + 8 ACM 1431 = in total 22 IP cameras. To the small retail chain which consist of 5 offices. They have fast speed VPN connection between branches.

Customer installed all that staff himself on Linux Ubuntu Server. I supported him over the telephone. 10 minutes guide how to add IP camera to the server .... at that is ALL.

Customer happy with that system. Specially with "thin" NO INTERNET EXPLORER, NO ActiveX web client.

As for me, i'm happy that i JUST sell it like a hummer. And don't wast time on support.

What I want to say it is so easy and reliable. If anybody asks me what kind of NVR to use.... answer is ExacqVision.

PS

I'm more than 6 Years sell CCTV IP.