For UTP runs of that length, you will need either active receivers or active transmitters. The other end can use passive baluns up to around 2,000 feet, then you would need active at both ends.

got a big warehouse im doing.. and im contemplating UTP - anybody have any input

i was going to stay away from IP because allot of the anolog cameras are cheaper

There are also some cheap cameras, depending on your requirements. For example cheapest would be VGA resolution Axis M1011 series. Then 1.3 megapixel ACTi 4200/4201. LAN via Cat5 wont go more than 100m, so you would need to power cameras locally or power them via PoE using two Veracity Outreach devices, but then again it will add cost - I think they are 150$ each.

Then 1.3 megapixel ACTi 4200/4201. LAN via Cat5 wont go more than 100m, so you would need to power cameras locally or power them via PoE using two Veracity Outreach devices, but then again it will add cost - I think they are 150$ each.

Unless you add switches every 100 meters.

got a big warehouse im doing.. and im contemplating UTP - anybody have any input

i was going to stay away from IP because allot of the anolog cameras are cheaper

What will be your furthest cable distance?

Your take on running UTP cable is the correct one... it is future proof in case down the road you decide to change your cameras to IP based cameras...

There are Passive video baluns that will allow you to extend UTP cables as much as 1,500' straight run... however, anything beyond this distance, survtech's suggestion will stand. Just keep away from cheap UTP cables... which are a dime a dozen in the market... rather go with best quality UTP cable you can find at a reasonable price... it will pay major dividends in the long run. In world of UTP, go with CAT6 cable with higher bandwidth - this way not only it will serve your immediate needs, but also your future equipment requirements...

Here is another area of concern if you decide to go with this path - power requirement for each of your cameras! You can not run power for the same distance (greater than 1,000') using standard power supplies... a suggestion is to find a local power source near each camera to power up such unit. It may be cheaper to take this route rather than installing special power supplies that provide much greater current to offset the voltage drop at the other end caused by the resistance for longer cables...

Good luck!

Didn't the OP say that he wasn't going to use IP cameras? And yes, unlike IP (except using fiber), analog can go that far.

Then 1.3 megapixel ACTi 4200/4201. LAN via Cat5 wont go more than 100m, so you would need to power cameras locally or power them via PoE using two Veracity Outreach devices, but then again it will add cost - I think they are 150$ each.

Unless you add switches every 100 meters.

You dont. Just use Veracity Outreach device.

Actually, the OP would need multiple Outreach devices, since each will only extend ethernet another 330 feet.

Actually, the OP would need multiple Outreach devices, since each will only extend ethernet another 330 feet.

Yes, like I said - two.

Yes, like I said - two.

Never mind!

It not cheapest way. If you have lets say 10 cameras, each 2 Outreach, 20 x 150$ = 3k

Depends on the site/system layout, you might be cheaper with switches anyway. I did one like this recently...

From server room, 70m run to a 5-port switch... that switch fed one camera, and another 80m run to a second 5-port switch. That switch directly fed two cameras, and another 80m run down to a third switch, which in turn fed two more cameras, one of them about 95m away. Three DSS-5+ 10/100 5-port switches = $35x3 = $105.

Soundy,

that might be a choice if on budget, but every switch needs power outlet, not practical. Outreach doesnt need power outlet, its plug&play, it takes power from PoE. Little amazing device it is

124290_1.jpg

124290_2.jpg

124290_3.jpg

Soundy,

that might be a choice if on budget, but every switch needs power outlet, not practical.

Each camera that plugs into it needs power as well, no?

$300 extra per gets a little extreme after more than a couple cameras... cheaper to get an electrician in to add a couple outlets at the switch locations to power switch AND cameras.

No, because of PoE on IP cameras.

No, because of PoE on IP cameras.

124243_1.gif

Try to follow the conversation....

PoE switch + X amount of Veracity Outreach devices and thats it. You need only ONE power outlet where to plug PoE switch in. You DO NOT need power outlet for each camera if you are using PoE enabled IP cameras.

Yes, but I'm not talking about PoE. I'm talking about using a few switches in a distributed layout, rather than a ton of Outreach boxes to home-run each camera. You noted that the switches then each need power... I pointed out that the cameras in such a layout also each need power, so it's not like you need to run power JUST for the switch.

Take my five-camera example above with three $35 switches. Assume it costs $100 to install a power outlet (figuring that electricians are pricey; this also assumes there isn't power already convenient to any of the switch locations). Assume, for the sake of simplicity, that the cameras come with their own wall-wart supplies, so there's not an extra cost there. There's $105 for switches, and $300 for outlets, for $405.

Now in your design, you wouldn't need an Outreach box for the first camera... you'd need one each for the middle pair of cameras, and two each for the farthest cameras. So there's six Outreach boxes, at $150 each, for a total of $900.

In the above example specifically, there was actually power convenient to one switch location already, so only two outlets were required to be installed.

Soundy,

that might be a choice if on budget, but every switch needs power outlet, not practical. Outreach doesnt need power outlet, its plug&play, it takes power from PoE. Little amazing device it is

124290_1.jpg

124290_2.jpg

124290_3.jpg

Poor system design. Too many intermediate devices to fail in difficult to reach places.

If budget is a problem, use analogue (coax). If future proofing is required use fibre, it is probably cheaper than you think and can provide a backbone for future expansion (both CCTV and corporate IT) = added value

Ilkie

Too many intermediate devices to fail in difficult to reach places.
One of my main complaints with the HDcctv "extenders".

In situations like this for IP cameras, I've used SDSL extenders on twisted pair out to several thousand feet. One model I use will do full 100Mbps full duplex to 1000', and asymmetrical 3/30 Mbps out to 4200'. Nice solution, especially where there is existing CAT3 phone cable in place already.

I did a farming operation like this with several existing runs of CAT3, over 2000' each, with multiple cameras at each endpoint, coming back to a central multiport DSLAM concentrator. Works quite well, and the customer was also able to add Ethernet connectivity to his scale-houses for scale data collection.

In situations like this for IP cameras, I've used SDSL extenders on twisted pair out to several thousand feet. One model I use will do full 100Mbps full duplex to 1000', and asymmetrical 3/30 Mbps out to 4200'. Nice solution, especially where there is existing CAT3 phone cable in place already.

I did a farming operation like this with several existing runs of CAT3, over 2000' each, with multiple cameras at each endpoint, coming back to a central multiport DSLAM concentrator. Works quite well, and the customer was also able to add Ethernet connectivity to his scale-houses for scale data collection.

Excellent solution.

With the right kit you should be able to extend this to 4kms

Ilkie