Adam Daley

Problems with GV-1120-16 (PCI Express) Cards

Anybody else in the same boat and as frustrated as me...

I'm building myself a dual 16 channel 1120 card system for my office. And i've tried two different motherboards now and both times i've had issues...

First Issue: The first motherboard I tried, well the PCI Express slots were closest to the CPU.. so when i installed the 1120 cards, the things hovered over 2 of my memory spots with the molex connections (power) plugged in... meaning i could only use the last 2 memory spots.

Second Issue: Tried a different motherboard since i had other issues with the first, well the pci express slots are moved away from the memory, great... i couldnt install two pci express x16 video cards (running dual video cards also) so i went with 1 pci express x16 and one PCI.. okay that worked... but now the 1120 cards were hovering over my SATA connections... and i had 4 drives to plug in...

now i made it work in the second case, i had to basically bend the board out of the way, which was fine... its a pci express so there was only a little bit holding it in and the back of the board moved around easily... but still, what a real pain.

Anybody else a bit annoyed at how GeoVIsion designed the 1120 boards, with the power being at the BOTTOM of them... they would fit fine in my scenarios HAD the power been on the TOP...

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have to second this post. That is insane. Just a little bit of "field testing" would have demonstrated that putting the power on the bottom of the card is really a pain. So you are not alone... I had to really fight it as well.

Have you had any problems with the pci express cards? My distributor tells me they are not selling the PCI version anymore? I have two systems now that freeze (ones a dual 1120 and one uses a single 1120)..

So far out of every system ive used an 1120 with, they all have failed. (pci express version anyway, pci never had an issue with)

I have only two installs right no in the field. One is a gv-1480 16ch PCI and it has never froze... three years running. The other is this new one I just put in, an 1240 pci-e. It has only been running a week, but so far, nothing has crashed or frozen. I'm running it on Windows 7 with 4GB, and it is 64 bit. ( I went out on a limb, as win7 64 bit has probably not had too much field testing...)

Using an inexpensive Intel DG41TY LGA775 with an inexpensive Intel Core-2 Duo.

Also, 4gb ram, and external 512mb Video Card .

I assume you are using an external video card. If not, that is probably your problem....

Yes PCI Express video card... my distributor suggested an Asus board so im going to try that in my office, and if it works i'll use it for the client

Adam:

Just curious, why did you choose to build a system with two 8-channel 1120 boards, as opposed to one 16-channel 1240 system? Wouldn't the 16-channel 1240 be the same processing power, but yet only take up one CPU Card?

You also say you are running dual video cards. Why would you need two video cards in one PC these days, seeing that most all video cards have two outputs for dual monitors anyway?

Matt

The 1120s are 16 channel... sooo we have 32 channels, lol.

We chose to build it with dual video cards because we are doing hte following:

Card #1 (VGA) goes to my boss's TV

Card #1 (HDMI) goes to my TV

GeoVision Card #1 (Component) goes to my boss's 2nd TV

GeoVision Card #2 (Component) goes to my boss's 3rd TV

(he has 1 large TV for 32 channels then 2 smaller TVs each for 16 channels)

Card #2 (VGA) goes to a KVM installed in our rack, for regular maintenance

Card #2 (HDMI) goes to an HDMI splitter which splits to our conference room as well as the front reception desk

Ok, You are really using 4 video outputs, so I see why you need two video cards. I do wonder if you would not have been better off getting two 1240 or 1480 cards in stead of the 1120. Seems like with 16 channels, that is a lot to process. On the other hand, if you are using all analog cameras, I guess it should handle it, but your FPS would be 5fps per channel. Of course if not much movement is happening in each camera, you would get more fps on the others.

I hope tech support takes care of you.

Our distributor came through, recommended a board (thanks sal i know you scope these boards) and it seems to work so far. I have it running right now and so far it hasnt crashed. No cameras yet.

The 1120 will be good. We usually do dual 800-16 cards using a core2 duo processor... we're using a quad in our dvr with 4gb ram so its double what we normally use also..should be fine.

Its an office so not much movement, few outside cameras. I think we have 6 PTZ's though going in.

Heres a photo of our DVR... its really maxed out. We have 2 1120 cards, a gv-net card, a gv-loop card (hopefully it works we had issues once before with it but its all i have), 2 video cards, 4 channels of audio (we only need 4 channels although we know we can do more)

125941_1.jpg

125941_2.jpg

Wow... I've never seen that packed of a computer. Hopefully you wont have any heating issues... I'd make sure you keep the fan clean. It would be nice to have one of the large side fans on a system like that. Sounds like a nice install though... using RGB/HDMI/BNC... heck... you've got it all!