brianj

Hikvision ? What the ...??!

Allright, this is hilarious..

After i really went through this whole industry of pirated clone cards and substandard junk software, looking for budget (PC based) analogue DVR solutions for like the past 2 weeks, i ended up with couple opinions on the known manufacturers:

Consumer grade DVR Cards

-> Geovsion - Quite expensive H.264/Hybrid cards, cheap/substandard software but large userbase

-> Avermedia - Just as expensive H.264/Hybrid cards, same type of cheap/substandard software

-> Nuuo - Even more expensive H.264/Hybrid cards, same type of cheap/substandard software

Professional Solutions

-> Arecont, Exacq etc. - Quite better software/hardware, but no option for home use

-> Mobotix - Q24 $700 - Reasonable alternative (to put in a car for example), but software doesn't meet my expectations

HikVision

So i went ahead, lucky enough to check for Hikvision again ($350 - 8CH H.264, good price!) and finally just downloaded their iVMS-4000 software.. First impression:

"That's it!" Reasonable priced 8CH hardware card, quality & nice looking software that runs on win7.. and also iPhone client??

But after reading into the manual i can only find info on how to use the software with their DVRs, not the cards.

Plus, since yesterday i get a malware warning from Google on hikvision.com, but not hikvision-usa.com.

-> Anyone here running a HikVision card with iVMS?

I have a IVMS setup on a test PC and also the Client for DVR/IP cameras. You have some problems?

JD

Allright, this is hilarious..

After i really went through this whole industry of pirated clone cards and substandard junk software, looking for budget (PC based) analogue DVR solutions for like the past 2 weeks, i ended up with couple opinions on the known manufacturers:

Consumer grade DVR Cards

-> Geovsion - Quite expensive H.264/Hybrid cards, cheap/substandard software but large userbase

-> Avermedia - Just as expensive H.264/Hybrid cards, same type of cheap/substandard software

-> Nuuo - Even more expensive H.264/Hybrid cards, same type of cheap/substandard software

Professional Solutions

-> Arecont, Exacq etc. - Quite better software/hardware, but no option for home use

-> Mobotix - Q24 $700 - Reasonable alternative (to put in a car for example), but software doesn't meet my expectations

HikVision

So i went ahead, lucky enough to check for Hikvision again ($350 - 8CH H.264, good price!) and finally just downloaded their iVMS-4000 software.. First impression:

"That's it!" Reasonable priced 8CH hardware card, quality & nice looking software that runs on win7.. and also iPhone client??

But after reading into the manual i can only find info on how to use the software with their DVRs, not the cards.

Plus, since yesterday i get a malware warning from Google on hikvision.com, but not hikvision-usa.com.

-> Anyone here running a HikVision card with iVMS?

Hi, and also thanks for your comparison of the different software before..

Actually, my problems are:

• The iVMS-4000 manual only details how to connect their standalone DVRs, not their cards.. so the cards driver acts as a localhost IP server?
  • I've only found 1 retailer and used ebay offers so far.. where to get them?
    (1800securitycamera.com/Hikvision-4008HCI-8-Ch-Hardware-Compressed-card-w-p/4008HCI.htm)

PS: I also give my vote for a Hikvision subforum

PPS: Found nice videos on youtube youtube.com/user/syscomcctv

just curious... what was your beef with Avermedia's software??? Have you used it??

he has beef with everything that is better than hikvision. i stopped using hikvision 2 years ago. used by many dvr makers i would call it the bottom end dvr card.

I am Skyvision Ava, I am responsible for the software register for the Hikvision English cards.

Skyvision still exist and developing constantly.We can supply you software for HIkvision cards , dvr ,dvs and IP cam.

I am glad to help you. I will consider specific situations to provide free registration. SKYPE: ava dot he

just curious... what was your beef with Avermedia's software??? Have you used it??

Well, Avermedia's $480 NV7240 (4?)-8CH card appears to be more expensive,

adding 2.5 times the storage cost due to MPEG4 compression, running this software:

P0000070.jpg

compared to Hikvison's $650 4016HCI 16CH Card, which seems to run 8 channels H.264 4CIF and this software:

124936_1.jpg

plus this one:

124936_2.jpg

Yet, i havn't ordered a Hikvision card as i don't even know how the card is supported by the software.. so who is running iVMS here?

Well, Avermedia's $480 NV7240 (4?)-8CH card appears to be more expensive,

adding 2.5 times the storage cost due to MPEG4 compression, running this software:

the recording is the main part of cctv the hikvision only records in cif the avermedia records mjpeg.

also the aver is hybrid so yes a little more in price but you get alot more. also remote viewing you dont need software like you do the hik. also mobile viewing. avers can be viewed on anything hik cant.

the recording is the main part of cctv the hikvision only records in cif the avermedia records mjpeg.

also the aver is hybrid so yes a little more in price but you get alot more. also remote viewing you dont need software like you do the hik. also mobile viewing. avers can be viewed on anything hik cant.

Tomcctv u should stop criticizing HIK

1.HIK record H.264

2.we can get from CIF to D1 (depend on the card) with lot less CPU resources then Avermedia ever

3.HIK has Hybrid solution too

4. You can watch HIK on Iphone, IE

I can keep going and tell you How Aver never finish their soft and so on...

but I guess I should stop

1.HIK record H.264

2.we can get from CIF to D1 (depend on the card) with lot less CPU resources then Avermedia ever

the post above listed 2 types of cards. not every card from hik. so i listed the differance between them.

.. hikvision only records in cif the avermedia records mjpeg.

Yes, 2 types of cards.. the avermedia MPEG4 ones (D1) and 4016HCI, so how does this apply?

According to jdlds the 4016HCI ($650) runs at least 16 Channels 2CIF H.264 (realtime) but also "8 channels real-time at 4CIF" (704 × 576) quote: http://www.jdlds.com/4016HCI.html

Btw, 2) Exactly this type of "Active X Junk" is the shame of the whole industry, I'll just go for remote desktop access (hardware accelerated since win 2008) instead, but also looking for options like the iVMS-4500 iphone client which seems better than the averdigi app.. and from the looks i exspect there will also be an ipad version soon.

Yet, I'm still reading into iVMS manual and have no idea if the software can even be used with the hikvision cards!

IVMS Software and Hikvision cards match pretty good! They are married!

JD

So how is the card configured with iVMS-4000 then? The driver emulates a network DVR and it's added like any of their other standalone products? What about the iPhone client in this case? Do you mind posting a screenshot on how the card is configured?

And what about used cards that come without drivers?

Cheers,

Brian

Hi!

The newest versions of IVMS is a hybrid solution so it can be used with IP/DVS/Embedded DVR's as well as a PC based DVR with local compression cards.

You would install a card in a PCI slot, install the drivers for the card (download from http://www.hikvision.com) and install the newest version of the IVMS software (download from http://www.hikvision.com). Some OEM customers of Hikvision change the board SDK that could give you some problems, but they are very rare, where did you get the DVR card from?

I am not sure if the Iphone is supported by the IVMS 4500 software that is the mobile client software (download from http://www.hikvision.com). But I guess it will be stated in the manual.

You can when installed the card and drivers and latest version of IVMS configure your card!

JD

So how is the card configured with iVMS-4000 then? The driver emulates a network DVR and it's added like any of their other standalone products? What about the iPhone client in this case? Do you mind posting a screenshot on how the card is configured?

And what about used cards that come without drivers?

Cheers,

Brian

HI AK357!

You alive, I started to belive you got lost at ISC

JD

1.HIK record H.264

Btw, 2) Exactly this type of "Active X Junk" is the shame of the whole industry, I'll just go for remote desktop access (hardware accelerated since win 2008) instead

Less secure. We disable all Windows Remote Desktop access to DVRs due to increased security risks, not to mention slower and more overlay issues. Like it or not, ActiveX is the best there is for browser based apps as far as features and quality, so it is hardly a "shame" .. but personally I am no fan of Browser based apps anyway, always will be more limited then a full blown client app.

Im no fan of CCTV H.264, its just lower quality, unfortunately that is the way much of the industry has gone these days, lower quality and slower less reliable products. Its like horrid products such as Windows 7 and useless ones such as Ipads, technology is going backwards and yet getting more expensive. Not to mention, try find a Hikvision distributor in the US ... not many of them. Im not really a fan of Aver's software either though. LOL.

[quote="tomcctvthe recording is the main part of cctv the hikvision only records in cif the avermedia records mjpeg.

CIF is a resolution while Mjpeg is compression standard!

Hikvision has many models of DVR cards from the useless DS-4008HSi card which can be compared with a Geovision GV-800/ card with low frame rate if record any higher then CIF, you can use it to record 4CIF, but then your frame rate will be hit hard.

Then they have the DS-40XX series that comes in 3 models: DS-4004HCi - DS-4008HCi - DS-4016HCi which gives you full frame rate at 2CIF recording or half at 4CIF recording. Software can also disable 1/2 of channels to make a 16 channel card a full rate/full resolution recording with 8 channels. The DS-40XXHCX series I am pretty sure is the most sold compression board in the world! It is widely used around the world in OEM products and Hikvision have gotten their +100 000 000,- USD stack of cash from somewhere!

Then they have the new cards: DS-4216HFV and DS-4208HFV which are full frame recording at 4CIF resolution, all these cards can be stacked in 1 PC with up to 8 cards. But software mainly support 64 channels max. At the moment you can max get about 40 channels recording 4CIF/25Frames per second due hardware bottlenecks but when hardware gets more power we will se 64 channels 4 CIF recording with 1600 frames total. and later who knows 128 channels?

The Hikvision H.264(AVC MPEG4/Part10) is a very advanced codec for video compression.

Market: Hikvision started up with H.264 in 2005 I think, and the rest of the market have started the jippo marketing in late 2008 and are still growing, but remember there are many different H.264 codec's not all are the same so quality will be different from H.264 from supplier A compared to supplier B and sometimes it is the same.

JD

Hi Rory!

I am living far from the USA but I think I pretty can make a list of 10 Hikvision/OEM in the USA, but I am not sure if they would like me to do so!

H.264 I feel gives me better video quality then Mpeg4 at a lower bandwith/storage space. But I am disapointed in one thing and agree with you there, that if make a better codec like the H.264/AVC is why the hell lower storage space if you could lift quality, HDD is just a small part of the total price for a CCTV systems and how many systems do record more then 30 days? So if I could get better quality I would even like to buy 4 times the hard drive space so long the qaulity is better.

But then again we have seen the 2CIF vs 4CIF quality there is not much difference before you start to blow up things. So I guess to have better viewable video quality we should expect maybe 4 or 8 times larger hard drive space?

IPAD = Only 1 task at a time! WTF! I wait for something real! Would be like this: Someone calls you on your IPAD, just a second I got the numbers on my IPAD....oh I need to call you back for those, I cant reach them while talking to you!

JD

Im no fan of CCTV H.264, its just lower quality, unfortunately that is the way much of the industry has gone these days, lower quality and slower less reliable products. Its like horrid products such as Windows 7 and useless ones such as Ipads, technology is going backwards and yet getting more expensive. Not to mention, try find a Hikvision distributor in the US ... not many of them. Im not really a fan of Aver's software either though. LOL.

IPAD = Only 1 task at a time! WTF! I wait for something real! Would be like this: Someone calls you on your IPAD, just a second I got the numbers on my IPAD....oh I need to call you back for those, I cant reach them while talking to you!

Funny that only people who never used/owned an iPhone would believe that, because all it takes is actually 2 clicks to pull up the right contact and reading the number out loud.. This also applies to pushing the home button and accessing the notes or mail application. With the call still active, the 3rd click on the 'return to call bar' gets back to the call menu..

Btw, the iPhone has always been capable of multitasking for any of the native applications, just limited to native and vital tasks such as mail or background audio to avoid the same battery drainage nightmares windows phones have. My 3GS easily lasts for 3 days depending on usage, i usually reboot it once a month, it's always ready to pull a google query within 5 seconds (yes, it's never 'off'), at night i just switch to airplane mode to get a rest of the push service radiation interval:)

With the OS4 autumn update, both iphone/ipad will have an even better version of multi-tasking than any other phone on the market.. and i also expect these great developers of the current hikvision client or any other CCTV developers to make use of the new push notification/background task model for something like a 24/7 'instant on' CCTV monitor on the iphone/ipad.. something that just couldn't be done on windows!

On the iPad, it would be like this:

1) ipad has hikvision(or else) ipad client with push notification

2) iVMS-X000(or else) sends push notification in realtime(!), as soon as an alarm is triggered

3) While screen off, ipad turns on with a popup 'Motion Detected In XX! [Cancel][View]'

4) Hitting the 'view' button returns the frozen client app, displaying the live feed within

1-x seconds, no booting, no hibernation

This is a brave new world!:)

PS: Thanks for insight on the card support, yet i still only see IP settings in the 'add device' menu.. must be automatically recognized then..

Yeah thats the biggest waste of money I have seen in a while ... just dont understand why anyone would spend so much money on something like that which is so limited. no USB and no Webcam .. back to the Atari days Anyway, if they really want a tablet then they should at least wait a month or two for the Droids ... and even Ubuntu ones, which blow the Ipad away. Personally I dont like tablets anyway, no real keypad is useless for my computing needs. As for the phone part of it, I dont use them, and as far as Im concerned a pocket PC is pretty next to useless anyway, been there done that. My Eee PC 7" netbook .. I can see all 16

+ cameras and not just with a javascript refresh or image push ..

Hi Rory!

I am living far from the USA but I think I pretty can make a list of 10 Hikvision/OEM in the USA, but I am not sure if they would like me to do so!

Are you sure about that? For example, with Netvision, they told me to contact someone else in the U.S. up north to buy their cards, not themselves, as I would need to buy from China. Turned out this person sold hikvision cards, but never mentioned anything about whether they came with software, or even Netvision for that matter. And the price is not much less if any to Geovision, so makes no sense to me at this time. Ive also watched the demo video clips recorded from the hik cards from a couple OEMs and I was not impressed, but perhaps they didnt realize the video looked bad?

Are you sure about that? For example, with Netvision, they told me to contact someone else in the U.S. up north to buy their cards, not themselves, as I would need to buy from China. Turned out this person sold hikvision cards, but never mentioned anything about whether they came with software, or even Netvision for that matter. And the price is not much less if any to Geovision, so makes no sense to me at this time. Ive also watched the demo video clips recorded from the hik cards from a couple OEMs and I was not impressed, but perhaps they didnt realize the video looked bad?

Hi, you said you wanted to buy a card from USA, not from China. Maybe there was a mistake.

And I think the price maybe different to different customers. Because any dealer will increase the price when the order is not big.

BTW, even a same card can offer you different video quality when used in different softwares or worked in different modes, such as QCIF, CIF, DCIF, 2CIF or D1. Do you think so?

1.HIK record H.264

Hi. ak357. what do you think about these hik cards.

ds-4016hcicard.jpg

Hi TomCCTV!

Is that the model you got?

The DS-4016HCi cards are pretty much comparable with Geovision 1480/16 when it comes to resolution/framerate.

Geovison is Mpeg4/Mpeg4ADV/H264 Geo and H264 Geo V2

Geovision is software compression card -audio recordings will reduce video frame rate

Hikvision is H.264

Hikvision is hardware compression card - audio is not reducing frame rate

Capable of running dual stream

JD