Hi

Is there a way to "undelete" kodicom software recording or does it overwrite the files ? I need some video of something that happened a day before the earliest i can go back in the software

I'm afraid you are more than likely SOL. If it doesn't show up in your available time in the calendar it has already been overwritten. I have never been able to get data beyond what the calendar shows.

-Marcus

Would forensic software work for overwritten data? The kodicom software I have seen recycles the oldest data and overwrites it with new data. I suppose anything is worth a shot but I don't know if it would work in this instance since the data wasn't simply erased, it is part of a revolving file storage that is tied to the kodicom software.

-Marcus

anything Just did one for a slimey salesman that was selling our jobs to another company. nice guy, huh?

Well I tried GetDataBack for NTFS with no luck.

It's overwriting the data in the same filenames not deleting/creating new files. Oh well.

Cops shoulda come earlier

Kodicom's DB writes data as .bix and .box files. Even if you found the data (video), you would not be able to properly reconstruct it.

Recovering overwriten data is possible. But it's also expensive. Whenever you write to a drive, you change the electron patterns. And those patterns tend to stay. If the platter is viewed with an electron microscope, it can be possible to "read" overwriten files. But this requires a few things to work. One is a clean room. The other is an electron microscope. Neither is cheap. But if you google it you can find companies that offer this service.

Your data is lost. Once the HD is full, there is no software to bring back the data.

Not true. I can, and have. The only thing that can stop me from getting it is a D.O.D. erase...and even then, I can get bits (and so can the FBI).

The only TRUE way to destroy info on a hard drive is to shred it (yes, there are hard drive shredders) then tossing it in the ocean.

Edited by Guest

I think the point has digressed quite a bit from recovering kodicom data that has been written over... LOL

Even if you can get the bits of the file, as heloder mentioned it can't be properly reconstructed to be viewed. We have had similiar experiences with a bank that wanted video data from 3 weeks from before the earliest possible recording in their kodicom dvr. We had to tell them it was not possible and then we proceeded to sell them a bigger unit to keep their data for 6 months instead of 2.

In this example, this guy is SOL. He probably doesn't want to spend thousands of dollars on data recovery services and whatnot... It's a case of, "Sorry buddy, should have backed it up sooner or got a bigger hard drive."

-Marcus

...and get in writting to "CYA". This way, whomever made that decision to cut costs (by installing a smaller HD) gets the "guff".

DOD is only 7 passes, this one is tirty 5 count dat tirty five ..

course lighting it on fire then dumping in the ocean is da bestest ..

Do you use this program?

its an old program, i downloaded it a long time ago but no dont use it anymore, very memory hogging also .. I have as much need for it as I do with a firewall .. LOL, I aint got nothing to hack ..

i gots thousands of software like this ..