Camomille

HW / SW compression True or wrong

Hello,

As I already wrote in an other post here, I bought this Hardware compression card ( http://www.ntic.com.tw/specification/m4_16ch.htm ) after talking about the poor quality of recordings with my Geovision GV-1240 card in a camera shop in Bangkok. The guy told hw compression is far much better than SW compression used by GV

You could make a great pleasure by telling me if this seller is right and if the card I bought is a decent one .

Please don't be afraid to tell me the truth!

I don't really see a great difference in picture quality. The only innovative thing I found on this card is the possibility to record from a few frames before to a few frames after any motion is detected.

I want to have a good and stable 16 ch system with good pictures. I'm ready to buy a "good" card and start again from the beginning with good material & software!!

I thank you in advance for your help and comments.

Camomille

A Google search on the Geovision GV1240 produces this result: http://www.geovisiongv.com/GV1240.html

The product specifications there state: "Geovision GV-1240 series card from Geovision offers several types of MPEG4 Hardware Compression as well as MPEG2 compression methods, Geovision Software also has H264 compression abilities"

From your link to the MP4-16480 it seems that card also uses MPEG4 hardware compression. Without any more information, it's hardly surprising that they both produce similar results.

Thanks for your answer.

So the guy was not 100% serious !!

Now I want to buy a "good" 16 ch card with no crapy software. After reading many posts on this board, it seems that many of you use Hikvision. I think Hikvision (DS-4016HCI) is the one that will better suit my needs.

I read hardware, software and support was good.Perfect

Please correct me If you think I don't make a good choice !!

Can anyone recommend me a good place to buy original Hikvision card . I'm located in Belgium.

Great thanks for your help & comments.

Camomille

The 1240 is software compression.

The 2004 and 2008 are hardware compression cards.

His hardware compression card may just use crappy compression.

Allegedly the hardware compression cards are suppose to be at least better live quality, at least the MPEG2 models. With the lower cost of Hard Drives these days compression should start to get more relaxed and emphasis SHOULD be put more on quality .. but it does not seem to be going that route.

Best live quality I have seen to date on any non megapixel CCTV system is from the Intellicam type DVRs with the HDMI output (other OEMs also sell the same units under different names), had it hooked out to a 32" LCD and it was amazing, with a decent camera and the HDMI. The recorded video left something to be desired though and it painted slowly in playback, but it was not an actual Branded Intellicam DVR, it was another name, same look though.

Hi!

Be aware that many of the shops in BKK sells pirate cards, also the chains!

When it comes to compression boards there are many things to consider:

The quality of the input signal!

About the cards:

Frame rate (and as many suppliers dont tell you at what resolution the frame rate is you should check this out, for instance; GV-1240/16 has 200FPS at CIF resolution then at 2CIF it is about 100FPS total/16 cameras = 6,1 FPS and at D1 it is about 80FPS total or 5FPS each channel.) Frame rate/resolution can tell you about the power the card have/the processing capacity.

Resolution the higher resolution the better image, but sometimes higher resolution means lower frame rate but check card for this.

Compression & Bitrate grade, at what level is the card compressing the video, the more compression the lower quality.

Codec the quality of the codec is also a factor to consider, for instance you have Mjpeg, Mpeg4, H264 and then you have different sub codecs again, like H264 Standard, H.264AVC/Part10 and so on.

All these things detemins the quality of the recorded video.

JD

Hello,

As I already wrote in an other post here, I bought this Hardware compression card ( http://www.ntic.com.tw/specification/m4_16ch.htm ) after talking about the poor quality of recordings with my Geovision GV-1240 card in a camera shop in Bangkok. The guy told hw compression is far much better than SW compression used by GV

You could make a great pleasure by telling me if this seller is right and if the card I bought is a decent one .

Please don't be afraid to tell me the truth!

I don't really see a great difference in picture quality. The only innovative thing I found on this card is the possibility to record from a few frames before to a few frames after any motion is detected.

I want to have a good and stable 16 ch system with good pictures. I'm ready to buy a "good" card and start again from the beginning with good material & software!!

I thank you in advance for your help and comments.

Camomille

i have a box full of hickvision 16 way cards all new taken from dvrs we installed last year. we had to change all cards and graphic cards from hik as there support was bad and wanted to charge for everything. while under warranty.

you can do alot better with geovison or avermedia cards. i dont know if the avermedia sa9000 pro is available in the US but here in the uk and belgium it is. and that is a full hardware comp dvr/nvr with hdmi outputs with 42in and sanyo hd cameras just like watching a good movie.

Another hardware compression card that might be worth looking at is the Nuuo one .. its about half the cost of the Geo cards.

i have a box full of hickvision 16 way cards all new taken from dvrs we installed last year. we had to change all cards and graphic cards from hik as there support was bad and wanted to charge for everything. while under warranty.

you can do alot better with geovison or avermedia cards. i dont know if the avermedia sa9000 pro is available in the US but here in the uk and belgium it is. and that is a full hardware comp dvr/nvr with hdmi outputs with 42in and sanyo hd cameras just like watching a good movie.

I have a load of Geovision GV-2008/GV-1480/GV-1120 + I/O +CMS dongles you intrested in a swap? I could use the HIK cards.

JD

I have a load of Geovision GV-2008/GV-1480/GV-1120 + I/O +CMS dongles you intrested in a swap? I could use the HIK cards.

JD

Hi pm me your address and i will send you 1 over for you to look at then you can make me an offer i have 18 of them.

When it comes to compression boards there are many things to consider:

Thanks JOINDVR

I thought that is a good summary of things which need to be considered.

There seems to be a huge emphasis on fps in advertised specs, but few mention the CIF recording resolution

Just wish I could find out how the Techwell 6805 cards rate in that area...