ricksi

Panasonic PTZ protocols

I have found posts mentioning that the Panasonic protocol commands are easily found, however I have not found them. I just aquired several WV-CS854B PTZ cameras, so can anyone give me a link? I also have a Q-See DVR with web access that supports Pelco-P and Pelco-D, so I'm assuming I cannot directly control the CS854's. I want to also get to all of the menu functions. What I thought I'd try is to run the RS485 commands from the Q-See though an RS485/RS232 converter to my computer. I'll write software to interpret those commands and send out the correct corresponding commands through a second RS485/RS232 converter connected to the cameras. That way I can use the Q-See web interface. Has anyone tried this and maybe can offer some advise? -Thanks

Without looking it up, I'd say there's a 99.9999% chance that those cameras support Pelco protocols themselves. Hook it on up to the Q-See and give it a go.

I have found posts mentioning that the Panasonic protocol commands are easily found, however I have not found them. I just aquired several WV-CS854B PTZ cameras, so can anyone give me a link? I also have a Q-See DVR with web access that supports Pelco-P and Pelco-D, so I'm assuming I cannot directly control the CS854's. I want to also get to all of the menu functions. What I thought I'd try is to run the RS485 commands from the Q-See though an RS485/RS232 converter to my computer. I'll write software to interpret those commands and send out the correct corresponding commands through a second RS485/RS232 converter connected to the cameras. That way I can use the Q-See web interface. Has anyone tried this and maybe can offer some advise? -Thanks

the camera will connect to your q-see http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/WVCS854B.PDF

I tried connecting the Q-See and the camera today, but had no luck. When the camera starts up, it displays the communication parameters and the ID number, which I've matched on the Q-See. The camera has 4 wires that the manual refers to as T(A), T(B), R(A), and R(B). On the Q-See, there's a RS-485 + and -. I tried hooking the R(A) and the T(A) to the - and + one way, and then reversed. The camera was also set to half-duplex. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, I still believe that I'll need a pc program to access the menu functions of the camera because the Q-See provides only basic control functions. Can someone direct me to the Panasonic commands? - Thanks

Try swapping A and B then.

You may need to power-cycle the camera and/or DVR before it notices the change.

I wasn't able to get it to work that way either. Panasonic covers most things pretty well in the manual, but they seemed to omit the part about connecting the RS-485 in a 2 versus 4 wire configuration.

It's not that complicated: the "R" pins are Receive; the "T" pins are Transmit. In the case of most cameras, you'll never use the Transmit pins, since they have nothing to send; they only need to receive commands. This is an industry-wide standard, not specific to Panasonic.

Check that you're setting the right camera ID number for the Pelco protocol you're using; Pelco D starts counting from 0; P starts from 1. Switch positions on cameras aren't generally absolute numbers, but are relative to the start point. Thus, position 2 may mean 1 for D protocol, 2 for P... and so on. (Disclaimer: it could also be 0 for P and 1 for D; my memory isn't fresh on which is which... but the point is the same). Some cameras will display both, or will display the relevant protocol along with the ID number, on the startup screen.

I changed the ID of the camera to 2 so I can try addressing it from the Q-See using 1- 3 to check for an ID mismatch. Still no luck but I have a second CS854B coming in a few days so I'll give that one a try. This camera may have issues. The picture I'm getting from it is horrible. It's washed out and the color is on the yellow side. Maybe I can make some adjustments when I get to the menu functions. Does the picture quality deteriorate as a camera ages? Also, is there a PTZ camera you'd recommend that has a quality picture at a reasonable price?

Thanks for all the help.

I received another camera today and tried unsucessfully to interface it to the Q-See. So I guess I'm back to trying to control them with my PC. Can anyone direct me to the commands I need to send to the Panasonic WV-CS854B?

I've finally got it working, so for anyone else who needs the info: To use Pelco-P protocols, the unit numbers on the dip are set differently from what's stated in the manual. Rather than setting switch 8 to the on position, position 6 is set instead. So for Pelco-P, Unit 1, the switch setting is: 10000100

It was well explained in another post that I missed:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11857&hilit=%5Cx02AD01%3BGC7%3A0021941%5Cx03