micksgonefishin

Geovision v8.3.3 64 bit Win7 guinea pig with audio problems

I had a customer request a server that is expected to have a long technological lifespan.

So I researched and pieced together a rather wonderful and stable machine consisting of:

(NOTE: This is an IP GV-NVR server setup)

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Gigabyte GA-EX58 ud5 (Ultra Durable / thicker copper traces) MB

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2961

Intel socket 1366 2.66 i7 920 processor

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37147

Running @ 2.86Ghz because the MB automatically OC'ed it (I did return it to stock 2.66 but it did not remedy audio problem) and through testing appears to be very stable @ 2.86 so I left it alone.

6 Gigs of OCZ PC1600 memory

(with hopes of GV writing SW that addresses more memory in the future) (Don't use this memory unless you know how to manually input timing speeds - USE CORSAIR because the MB doesn't automatically detect OCZ timings!)

Speedstream 4160 DSL modem

in bridged mode to Netgear WNR3500 Rangemax router

Netgear WNR3500 Rangemax Gigabyte Router

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR3500.aspx

plugged into the Gigabyte port of a NetGear FS726P switch

Netgear FS726TP

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/SmartSwitches/FS726TP.aspx

24 port + 2 Gigabyte port PoE switch (For some reason it didn't seem to supply enough power to the AcTi 8511 PTZ camera, I had to supply power to the 8511 via its stock Power Supply to get it to work properly)

2 AcTi 3511 Day/Night IP camera's

1 AcTi 8511 PTZ

1 Vivotek IP7161 IP camera (which has a phenominal mic that must have been plucked from the bionic womans head!)

OK, this whole GV-NVR kit is running smoothly. It's processing and storing video stored on its own dedicated partition on the hard drive without any problems.

The only problem is with the audio, I CAN get audio using the camera's proprietary softwares. (The Vivotek audio is unbelievable as mentioned before)

Through the Geovision v8.3.3 SW is where the problems occur;

First the AcTi camera's:

When I tick the Enable Audio and Record Audio boxes in the GV camera setup configuration window I get 2 loud "pops" and then this crazy "digital noise" sound.

The adjustment sliders to the left have absolutely no effect on the noise problem. Even sliding the adjusters on the Sensitivity and Gain down to zero have absolutely no effect on the sound, or the volume of the sound!

I blamed it on the external mic I had and went out and purchased a new logitech PC mic with the same results.

I realized that AcTi requires that you use "mono" mic's so I went out and purchased a stereo to mono 3.5mm converter jack which had only 2 contact area's making it mono. (Both of the PC mic jacks had 3 contact area's on the male part of the jack as if they were stereo mic's) This did nothing to remedy the problem.

Do I have to purchase amplified mic's for AcTi camera's?

According to AcTi it requires an 8 kHz Unbalanced 1.4Vpp/1Vrms 3.5mm jack and even the cheapest mic's sold here in the US have twice that frequency response! (16kHz)

So you might conclude that the mic's I'm using are exceeding the camera's frequency threshold.

Well here's the clincher! When I powered off the 8511 and removed the mic and powered it back up and kept audio enabled in the Geovision software the "crazy digital noise" was still present! (Anyone got any idea?)

Second, the Vivotek IP7161;

(Much shorter story! )

As I mentioned I get very sweet audio using the Vivotek software. So the camera is transmitting AAC codec audio flawlessly over the network.

When I go to the Camera Config screen in Geovision, the 2 sliding adjusters for Sensitivity and Gain are operational (or,, well,,, are moveable) but the 2 tick boxes for enabling audio and recording are grayed out rendering audio from this great camera useless through Geovision v8.3.3. I could use this single cameras microphone to cover the entire establishment but I can't enable the audio in GV. And the Audio in the "Audio1, Audio2, Audio3,,,,," section is also grayed out for this camera.

Note: I have updated the realtek drivers for this motherboards sound chips.

Note2: Everything is working great except the sound therefore I didn't disable hyperthreading before writing this post. I will repost after disabling HT on Tuesday April 20th with the results. With everything else working I doubt it will make a difference but you never know with these pesky machines.

I promised (and gambled a little bit) that I could deliver a technologically advanced system for this guy and now I have a rather disturbed customer as a result of this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick

(Afterthought --- 6 hours later)

I just remembered a problem I had in the past. I had a mic problem with a PC with very similar distorted digital sounds which was caused by the computers' sound software set to digital input instead of analog. By switching from digital to analog in the systems sound software the problem went completely away and the mic functioned perfectly. But this can't be the problem because this is an NVR and all the audio is arriving in digital network packets?!? So am I listening to sound packets that the geovision software isn't assembling correctly???? By The Way --- If a person speaks loud enough near a mic, the speech DOES come through although it is terribly digitally distorted. They kind of sound like angry aliens.

Hi, perhaps disable the onboard audio in the BIOS and buy a separate PCI sound card instead? Some onboard audio can be very glitchy. Typically you dont want to use the leading edge technology for DVRs though. In most case you will never need what it offers. Also, could be an issue with the 64 bit, maybe load a 32bit OS on it and see if it goes away. Personally I would stick to XP 32 Bit, regardless of how "old" some may consider the OS, it just works and its fast.

Thanks Rory 4 the idea!

Could you tell me an audio card (probably Creative) that you know is actually working with 8.3.3?

The reason for the up to date technology is that the customer wanted future capabilities unrestricted. This machine does work flawlessly and is superquick with any benchmarking SW I throw at it. (for burn in)

It really will be a perfect machine in a year or so I imagine, but so far the only problem I encountered was with Geovision 8.3.3 audio problem.

Thanks,

Mick

Hi, perhaps disable the onboard audio in the BIOS and buy a separate PCI sound card instead? Some onboard audio can be very glitchy. Typically you dont want to use the leading edge technology for DVRs though. In most case you will never need what it offers. Also, could be an issue with the 64 bit, maybe load a 32bit OS on it and see if it goes away. Personally I would stick to XP 32 Bit, regardless of how "old" some may consider the OS, it just works and its fast.

I built this system following Geovision's claims to v8.3.3

They stated it was designed for Windows 7 64-bit so that's how I designed it!

I built this system following Geovision's claims to v8.3.3

They stated it was designed for Windows 7 64-bit so that's how I designed it!

I dont think they meant it was "designed" for Windows 7 nor for 64 bit .. they probably just meant it "should work" on it

Thanks Rory 4 the idea!

Could you tell me an audio card (probably Creative) that you know is actually working with 8.3.3?

The reason for the up to date technology is that the customer wanted future capabilities unrestricted. This machine does work flawlessly and is superquick with any benchmarking SW I throw at it. (for burn in)

It really will be a perfect machine in a year or so I imagine, but so far the only problem I encountered was with Geovision 8.3.3 audio problem.

Thanks,

Mick

Not sure, but I just put it on a Dell Optiplex 755 with internal audio, no problems but then it is not cutting edge technology as the systems are a few years old with Core 2 Duo 2.3Ghz and DDR2 667, and it is using XP Pro SP3.

I hear ya, but,

It should be working because they stated it would work in that environment.

Plus, I would be fulfilling my customers request based on their claims of functionality!

Thanks Rory 4 the idea!

Thanks,

Mick

Not sure, but I just put it on a Dell Optiplex 755 with internal audio, no problems but then it is not cutting edge technology as the systems are a few years old with Core 2 Duo 2.3Ghz and DDR2 667, and it is using XP Pro SP3.

OK, if its working on that dinosaur then it must be my onboard sound chipset. I'll go get myself and my customer a PCIe sound board not based off of the generic onboard Realtec chipset.

I'll update when the machine is functioning fully with audio.

OK, if its working on that dinosaur then it must be my onboard sound chipset. I'll go get myself and my customer a PCIe sound board not based off of the generic onboard Realtec chipset.

I'll update when the machine is functioning fully with audio.

Yeah might as well get them a really good one .. like you mentioned, creative have some good products.

don't shoot the bystander!

first, in the case of IP cam, the only work the onboard audio chip does is playing back whatever it is told to play. all the recording works are performed either by the IPCam or its audio decoding driver provided by the IPCam or OS vendor. the onboard audio chip has nothing to do with the recording here.

second, the play function of onboard audio is proven by the test of Vivotek's software.

personally, i'll hold GV's audio record function responsible for this issue.

to add some fun into this, i'll bet 10 bucks on it. anyone?

don't shoot the bystander!

first, in the case of IP cam, the only work the onboard audio chip does is playing back whatever it is told to play. all the recording works are performed either by the IPCam or its audio decoding driver provided by the IPCam or OS vendor. the onboard audio chip has nothing to do with the recording here.

second, the play function of onboard audio is proven by the test of Vivotek's software.

personally, i'll hold GV's audio record function responsible for this issue.

to add some fun into this, i'll bet 10 bucks on it. anyone?

Im using GV's audio without any issues. Most onboard audio chips are known to be crappy and have glitches and cause all kinds of unwanted malfunctions within an operating system, the driver is started, it is operational, regardless of whether or not the IP cam is using it, the operating system is still using it, and so is Geovision. Main reason we normally do disable it and install a real Audio card one time. $10, thanks but not enough LOL.

I'm thinking this may be Geovision's v8.3.3 decoding properties because I can get sound from both the AcTi's and Vivotek cams not using Geovision. It only happens through the Geovision software.

So I don't think I'll make the bet.

But I think I may try the video card if I can't get this resolved within a whole day of working on the project.

The thing that gets me is that probably 70% of the motherboards out there are using Realtek sound chips which is making me feel its not the chips. Plus! I do get audio just fine outside the Geovision v8.3.3 software, also re-enforcing the notion.

The thing that gets me is that probably 70% of the motherboards out there are using Realtek sound chips which is making me feel its not the chips. Plus! I do get audio just fine outside the Geovision v8.3.3 software, also re-enforcing the notion.

Yes but you are using Windows 7 and 64 bit which is rare with a GeoVision DVR. And personally I have had nothing but problems with Realtek AND SoundMax but it varies from one motherboard to the next.

Instead of contacting Geo and waiting weeks for them to attempt to fix something they may never fix, the quickest thing right now is to just change the Sound Card. Although there still may be some other hardware issues such as the new Motherboard Chipset.

OK! I am confident then with going with a notable sound card vendor as a possible solution.

I really appreciate your advice because I am getting nothing but nonsense from Geovision.

Thanks again!

GV has v8.3.4 ready. An update might help.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/4_2.asp

WoW! JJ! I didn't know this!

I'll kick the tires on this .4 and let you know

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

Mick

PS: Geovision has contacted me regarding the Vivotek IP7161 and they are taking it off the supported camera list for their software won't support the AAC codec that the camera transmits. They really should write AAC (Even though I'm not a big Apple fan) because it appears to be the next evolutionary standard after MP3. (same bit rate, much better quality) Yes AAC has been standardized. "AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications." It appears to have been developed by a conglomeration of Apple, AT&T's Bell Labs, Dolby and Sony.

Through further reading, the AAC audio codec is contained within the MPEG4 format.

Soooo, Geovision is making a mistake by excluding the IP7161 from its supported cams list. It is transmitting MPEG4 which they support.

Heading to worksite now to disable hyperthreading and see what happens.

I beleive this has something to do with the hardware design of my system which is clearly listed at the beginning of this forum subject.

Will update later. I did fill out 8.3.4 request form and awaiting download link still.

I beleive I know the answer to this problem.

Geovision support sent me a mail stating that they are no longer supporting Vivotek camera's 2 way audio. And the supported camera lists do have a "No" in the 2 way audio catagory now.

But! I still have issues with their beloved AcTi camera having distorted audio. This camera is transmitting MPEG4 as well.

When you install this software you have to choose which model card your using or GV-NVR. Well this is a complete IP setup so of course I'm installing the GV-NVR portion of the software.

I think whats going on is that a lot of processing takes place on their cards including some audio.

With a complete IP system their is no proprietary GV hardware anywhere on the system and I think the software (all by its lonely self) is having issues decoding MPEG4 audio correctly.

I'm going to order an AcTi 4301 which transmits (or can transmit) in the H.264 audio codec instead of MPEG4 and see what happens.

If it works they need to state that GV-NVR does not support MPEG4 audio and they need send me one free 8 camera dongle for figuring this out for them. I have one angry customer thats never going to network me after all.

I still haven't received that link for 8.3.4 yet either

Just curious why you chose Geo for a complete IP setup?

I have a couple questions though maybe you can answer for us, please

Do they send a dongle along with the software CD?

If one needs to add more IP cameras do you have to change the dongle?

How is the quality on the MegaPixel cameras in Geo, in live and in Playback?

Are you using the regular Video Log to playback?

I guess as it is IP you can actually use any software to view them remotely, or stuck with using Geo's?

Just curious as well if it works well then it could be a viable solution to be used with clients that have existing Geo systems and want to add IP only systems on other jobs, but be able to view them all. Ofcourse audio is not such an issue for some but would be nice if it works for clients that want it.

Thanks.

Just curious why you chose Geo for a complete IP setup?

I have a couple questions though maybe you can answer for us, please

Do they send a dongle along with the software CD?

If one needs to add more IP cameras do you have to change the dongle?

How is the quality on the MegaPixel cameras in Geo, in live and in Playback?

Are you using the regular Video Log to playback?

I guess as it is IP you can actually use any software to view them remotely, or stuck with using Geo's?

Just curious as well if it works well then it could be a viable solution to be used with clients that have existing Geo systems and want to add IP only systems on other jobs, but be able to view them all. Ofcourse audio is not such an issue for some but would be nice if it works for clients that want it.

Thanks.

Yes, they use dongles and they are very easily upgradeable. All you have to do is just click on the dongle in my computer and use a small program in it to add additional camera's

The quality of the video is excellent although I beleive it is limited to 1240 X 960. "Don't quote me on that one, I know the 960 is correct but the 12xx might be off"

Yes, the regular ol' video log is used as well as others such as data logs for requesting other data such as how many people entered and exited the establishment during the day.

I'm trying to stick with Geo and use all of its capabilities for they are very handy and a very good selling point. The analyticals are one heck of a contribution.

I chose Geovision because it has the most capabilities. People counting, object tracking, facial recognition, missing objects detection, PTZ tracking, image quality enhancing, visual automation to name a few.