rory

DSL and Router

I have a client with DSL, they have to connect like dial up, to get on DSL.

Anyway, they bought a router and want to share the connection, any ideas?

Im used to cable with Routers as thats plug and play, dont know anything about DSL.

Thanks

Rory

How would the other user connect though? As currently they click on the dial up thing, and they connect like that.

thanks

rory

PPPoE is Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet. Or Dial up over ethernet. It's what most (not all) DSL lines use. Thier software is most likely a PPPoE Dialer. Most routers let you configure those settings and will keep the connection open.

The other computers which you want to share the connection need to have an ip addess in the same range as the routers local ip address, ie the first three numbers the same and a different last number.

Then they need to have the default gateway set to be the ip address of the router.

Its usually easier to set up dhcp on the router then set all connecting pc to us a dynamic ip address which it will then get from the router.

The pc will also need the dns server addresses from your isp.

Rory what router have they got? Im guessing they're currently using a USB modem for dial up.

You will probably be using PPPoA, once you've entered the ISP account details in the router setting, the internet connection will remain connected all the time, so there will no be dial up screen. You could enter the gateway details like ant said but you will probably be better of using DHCP which most routers support which means you wont have to enter any IP setting for the computers.

I know how to do DHCP, just Cable is 99.9% the ISP down here so Im used to that, no need to dial anything, its always on.,

Its regular DSL, nothing special, DSL modem with LAN Cable to LAN card in the main PC.

Im thinking ..hmm, im probably going to just turn it over to a local PC store as they have more time to think about it, the client isnt going to pay much so .. Ill let you know

thanks for the replies though ..

Rory

In the PPPoE info, just set user and pw (in router) and it will stay connected with multiple machines (as long as you distribute internal IP's).

dude thats what I think I was looking for, that makes sense. Yes i can create local IPs no problem, in the range. Or can it just use DHCP like cable, and still work?

What about how they do the dial up thing right now, with the DSL modem, does the router do that itself ..?

Works just like cable. My cable here is like a T1 line here. Faster than lightning...up and down. Only thing that sux is that they block incomming port 80 and now SMTP (they make you use their servers for email-even if you have websites)

yeah same here, they block the SMTP, but not port 80. They just blocked it out of the blue one weekend .. then when we called on the monday we found out, they think you have to pay a business acount to have a website and email ...business cable accounts here start at $150 a month, home users from $34 to $69 .. DSL is even more!

Same here, you need to dole out more $$. They say it is due to spam. I say, horse hockey...they just want to get their hands into the other pocket.

dude thats what I think I was looking for, that makes sense. Yes i can create local IPs no problem, in the range. Or can it just use DHCP like cable, and still work?

What about how they do the dial up thing right now, with the DSL modem, does the router do that itself ..?

Rory,

you set up the router for PPPoE connection through the modem. When the lease time from your ISP expires - the router will automaticaly reconnect, saving you the trouble of doing it manualy.

Which router do you use? Just copy the connection info from your modem onto the router.