G22

PCI Bus Limitation - Resolution

Thanks Rory,

Certainly a step in the right direction, any idea of cost?

not yet, im going to email them tomorrow. They never had the software solution before but now they do, so ill see what I can find out. Theyve had teh camera out for at least a year now, just no DVR would support it .. until now. They were apparently supposed to have been working with March Networks on something, now looking at their hardware solutions, it looks similar to the March Network stuff: note the wall mount recorder.

Rory

Havent looked at those links of Rory's yet.. but like i said 5 Mega I.P. cams are already in existance and they have alarm inputs to allow the picture to be sent only on input.

Problems are that your only Taking a few pics, very hard to get an actuall puch thrown or shot fired at exact monet that hardware closure happens and how fast can they retake the next shot, some have that fancy shooiting option to allow several frames, but the delay may not be enough, and what about shutter speeds etc, by the time you get a fancy digital cam that does that, plus Auto iris... lets see, not going to be a real good picture when sunlight is on it or the flash from a gun or car headlights etc etc... I agree CCTV cams are overpriced considering what you can get with a standard Digi Cam, but they do have some advantages, the majority of the loss you are getting is in the compression, and that can be avoided byusing I.P. equipment, because even if your camera can take a full resolution image, most DVR's will crop it as the processing is too much, then they compress it so it will fit as video on thier HDD, this is where your losing your detail, simply doing an I.P. camera with large resolution and using either FTP or a direct to a HDD, with little or no Compression MPEG2 etc then you will get the resolution you need, but there aint too many outdoor detectors around and you can already get 768x576 images at what ever frame rate you need and that isnt too bad but 5 mega would be nicer, but whom has the bandwidth or the storage

Thats why you install a good quality camera at an entrance area, to get their faces, etc, so with the general view camera you can see who is who, and then match them up with the entrance camera. Thats also why color is better than black and white sometimes. We have Color cams at the entrances and BW in a nightclub at the bars, etc. They have matched the crooks up several times and sent them to jail.

But yes, a nice 5meg camera, would be too cool

Has anyone heard of cameras using mini drives similar to iPOD? I heard rumors... This is a new trend - they are sticking them everywhere... cell phones, PDAs, now cameras!

It would be nice to have an 80G HDD in a single camera and have it move the footage in off-peak hours to NVR. I think they are expecting something closer to Terabyte by 2007? Anyone knows anything about it?

Sanyo used to have a 2Mpx HDD camera, but I think its discontinued.

Been in touch with a few contacts. There is obviously a good deal going on to improve the resolution issue so things are going to improve. Just received this link http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,64719,00.html . Comes at it from a different angle. This is just the start- 6megapixel cams can already be done by Samsung.

Other solutions on the way too.

I am going to bug out now and leave you to your excellent forum.

Thanks for all the links, suggestion, thoughts etc.

Regards

Max (resolution )