hen1988

How to choose a dvr company

Hello,

Im trying to figure out which dvr companies are the top companies..

As far as i can see there are many, but i guess that just like in any other area.. which companies companies are considered as better or higher quaility

I need a dvr system for good resolution recordings and for something like 10 to 20 cameras (i guess i will divide it for 2 dvrs)

also, is one audio channel sufficient for one room (12 square meters or so)

thank you

Define "top"?

Best quality, cost is no object?

Most features? Most useful features? Most interesting features?

Best overall value?

Or by "best companies" are you talking about the companies themselves?

Take a look at Vigil - www.3xlogic.com. 16 and 32-channel systems.

I guess top -

largest and most reliable companies, good reputation, good support + most useful features in the best overall value. (hope it isn't too much to ask.. )

Thanks

Take a look at Vigil - http://www.3xlogic.com. 16 and 32-channel systems.

Vigil appears to be a software-based solution designed to run on a server/client network. And I'm guessing it's expensive, even before you shell out for the server. And if using with analog cameras, then you will need a digital network encoder for the video streams, right?

The base Vigil system has 16 analog inputs @ 60fps total, 8 audio inputs, one switched analog output and one software-multiplexor analog output, with a 500GB or 1TB drive. Any of the channels can also be used for IP cameras, and the supported-camera list is extensive. If memory serves, the system starts at around CDN$2300 - PC, capture card, software, network client, ready to go out-of-the-box.

At the upper end, there's a rack-mounted 32-channel, 960fps, 2TB system that runs around $10k... and plenty of options in between.

There is also a dedicated NVR version that comes without the hardware capture card, but uses the same software.

If memory serves, the system starts at around CDN$2300 - PC, capture card, software, network client, ready to go out-of-the-box.

Starting at US$2,250 without any cams? Ouch!

Yeah, well, you get what you pay for.

You think that's bad, try a Pelco PC-based DVR for about three times that.

Why are you talking him into a PC based DVR...?

CDN$2300 for a 16ch @60fps system computer, I think that is way too expensive :o

$250-$400 PC, choose the card

CDN$2300 for a 16ch @60fps system computer, I think that is way too expensive :o

I guess my question wasn't clear; what I meant is why are you pointing him to a PC based DVR, and not a standalone DVR?

Nobody pointed anyone at anything. He asked what the "top companies" were... the discussion simply evolved from there.

Since the OP didn't specify whether he wanted to keep it to companies that build PC or standalone, I suggested 3xLogic as a good company.

And BTW, keep in mind that most "better" standalones ARE still PCs inside, just running customized hardware and probably an embedded OS of some kind.... not unlike these "standalone-type" units: http://www.3xlogic.com/prod/983/mvr-series-micro-video-recorder

The line is pretty blurred.

I guess my question wasn't clear; what I meant is why are you pointing him to a PC based DVR, and not a standalone DVR?

I agree, but some are here to advertise and they will post information for the products they sell whenever they can regardless of the topic (Digital Video Recorders forum = Non PC based DVRs). I dont agree with it but unless it is direct spam or links to online stores they are not really breaking the rules, just going off topic and we all do that on forums.

My ex company averages (1) analog CCTV jobs a week. I asked and the feeback I received has been Digital Watchdog. They are priced right and customer support is extremely good. For the past 3 years, they have stopped using Pelco of the high-end job, Dedicated Micros for mid-end job, speco and digimerge for low-end job and now just use solely the DW line. So far they have not had one returned.

I tried a few.

Not recommended from me:

GE Security (hardware of standalone DVRs is too slow)

Vista (Brand in UK) (quality is ok, but nothing special)

Comart-Systems (buggy Software, quality of recording is ok)

Recommended:

Hikvision DVR cards. I tried two different ones and they worked very well. Watch out what Software you get with it. Netvision is good software - ivms-2000 is okay.