Tubal

Looking for a specific type of RS232-RS485 converter

Hi all.

I've been building some PC based DVR systems using ildvr cards, and they work very well.

I've seen some RS232 to RS485 converters on other systems that are actually a PC "card".

Basically, the converter is built into the card, so the card doesn't plug into the motherboard at all. It just sits in a slot in the back of the PC. The "card" has a DB9 input, and a 2 wire +/- teminal block output. So you run a short DB9 cable from the serial port on the PC to the DB9 port on the "card". Then run a 2-wire cable from the +/- terminal block to your cameras.

Has anyone seen these or know where I can get them? I've looked everywhere.

I've been using just the little adapters you plug into your serial port, but i'd rather have something more professional/sturdy.

Thanks,

Phil

i know Divis has these. some of their cards used to come with this harness. I have a couple left over i've never used. PM me if you want them. I think geo has these available too but i think theirs are expensive.

good luck on your search

Hi all.

I've been building some PC based DVR systems using ildvr cards, and they work very well.

I've seen some RS232 to RS485 converters on other systems that are actually a PC "card".

Basically, the converter is built into the card, so the card doesn't plug into the motherboard at all. It just sits in a slot in the back of the PC. The "card" has a DB9 input, and a 2 wire +/- teminal block output. So you run a short DB9 cable from the serial port on the PC to the DB9 port on the "card". Then run a 2-wire cable from the +/- terminal block to your cameras.

I've been using just the little adapters you plug into your serial port, but i'd rather have something more professional/sturdy.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil. you will find what you need from moxa. http://www.moxa.com/Product/serial_media_converter.htm

Hi Phil. you will find what you need from moxa. http://www.moxa.com/Product/serial_media_converter.htm

Thanks for the replies. I've already got converters, i was just looking for one I could mount in the PC rather than screw onto the serial port. Doesn't look like Moxa carries anything like that.

The one from Divis looks like it will work. I'll see if I can find those online.

Thanks again.

I usually get all my RS232 to RS485 converters at:

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65

if I understand you correct then what you are asking for is called a serial PCI card, it has 2 RS232 or RS485 ports and can be built in to any standard PC. The link to the card is:

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=214

Hi all.

Thanks,

Phil

Still wondering?

JD

Hi all.

Thanks,

Phil

Still wondering?

JD

I never found any. I just settled for the converters that plug into the onboard serial port and poke out about 2". The systems are all in use and haven't had any problems with them.

It just doesn't look as polished as the ones I've see that have the slot type converter.

Thanks.

A cable looping back from the serial port to another add-in port doesn't look any more "polished", IMO. Not that looks should matter in the least, unless you're making something that sits in a display case for customers to see.

Personally, I find most things that use RS485 will work fine just connected right to the RS232 port - run your wire pair into a DB9 plug with a nice plastic shell and be done with it.