thewireguys

Teamviewer and Ubuntu

So Teamviewer now works with Linux without using Wine but I can't get it to run on startup. To connect I have to manually start it then I can connect. Does anyone know of a way to have Teamviewer startup automatically when Linux starts? Thanks for the help

Goto:

System, Preferences, Startup Applications (may need to scroll down the menu list to see it)

Keep that window open and then goto:

Applications, Internet, and you should see the Teamviewer menu item. Drag that over to the Startup programs list. It will drop it there with all relevant information and it should be auto checked for enabled.

I just did this in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic koala" in Virtual Box, with the latest Teamviewer download for Ubuntu 32 bit.

Thats it, should work

ok Rory your on a roll and I need more help. I would like to Teamviewer and my 3G USB stick running without having to log into Ubuntu. I know this works with windows so any ideas on how to implement this with Ubuntu? Also have you tried XUbuntu? If so is really better then Ubuntu for low power machines? Thanks for the help

Ok first I have to admit Im not a Ubuntu/Linux expert ..

Just toyed around with it a bit recently .. mostly for Wine ..

No havent tried XUbuntu yet, dont think I have anyway, tried a bunch of various Linux inside Virtual Box and they all looked similar to me but I stuck with Ubuntu as it seemed the most advanced .. also tried other free OSes as well but none of them are ready yet .. been trying to download Fedora which is suppose to be another good Linux build but was taking too long last time I tried. Also Hikvision DVR card software is suppose to be able to run in Fedora.

But I had Ubuntu running on my Eee PC 4G (one of the first netbooks) with 600Mhz Celleron .. and it runs great. Even had Wobbly Windows and the Desktop Cube working. So that says alot for such as slow PC.

Ok first question is 3G as in 3Gb or related to a cell phone? Got me there ..

And when you say run it in Windows off the stick, do you mean literally not logged in or just not installed on the user's pc? I havent used Teamviewer before so hence the questions

Ok first question is 3G as in 3Gb or related to a cell phone? Got me there ..

And when you say run it in Windows off the stick, do you mean literally not logged in or just not installed on the user's pc? I havent used Teamviewer before so hence the questions

3G wireless cell card.

What I mean is I would like the not have to be logged into Ubuntu (for security reasons) and still be able to remote into the machine with Teamviewer over the 3G network. This works with Windows, after I setup the NVR I log out, then when I remote into the box with Teamviewer I see the login screen. With Ubuntu if I logout it shuts down the 3G card and Teamviewer.

I am running Ubuntu on a 1G VIA setup with a 1Gig of ram. Works fine for what I am doing but I work like to find out what services I can disable for best performance and reliability. I only need the network, 3G, teamviewer, NVR software to run everything else can go

Try this:

Create a script in /etc/init.d named viewer.sh

;vi example,

sudo vi viewer.sh

;add viewer program with path in viewer.sh

;make the script executable

;hook up viewer script into OS

sudo update-rc.d viewer.sh defaults

that should do it.

ps. scripts in /etc/init.d folder works like config.sys in DOS.

and, i assume 3G card is initialized by default at boot time, so i ignore it in the example.

good luck!

3G wireless cell card.

What I mean is I would like the not have to be logged into Ubuntu (for security reasons) and still be able to remote into the machine with Teamviewer over the 3G network. This works with Windows, after I setup the NVR I log out, then when I remote into the box with Teamviewer I see the login screen. With Ubuntu if I logout it shuts down the 3G card and Teamviewer.

I am running Ubuntu on a 1G VIA setup with a 1Gig of ram. Works fine for what I am doing but I work like to find out what services I can disable for best performance and reliability. I only need the network, 3G, teamviewer, NVR software to run everything else can go

Not sure, as far as I know even in Windows one has to be logged on with some kind of account for that to work, eg, UserInit is used on startup to show welcome/login screen, load Explorer.exe and also make any network connections. How they do it in Windows is perhaps install a hidden user and just keep it logged on all the time - just a guess though without doing more research.

another easier but less secured approach is to set it to auto-login,

Activating autologin

1. Load the Gnome Administration utility by

clicking on System -> Administration -> Login Window

2. Change to the Security tab.

3. Enable the checkbox for Enable Automatic Login

4. Select your user account from the drop-down list of users.

Right now I am using the auto log in but I don't want to leave it that way. When I log into Window with Teamviewer it takes me to the Windows log in screen. I don't know how they do this but I would like to figure this out with Ubuntu.