thewireguys

Arecont 10MP camera finally on the Website

Compared with 5MP sensor, the 10MP sensor get lower sensitivity, narrower dynamic range, larger cross-talk among the neighboring pixels. yes, anyway, it has higher resolution ( if used with some expensive 10MP lens, you can expect a little bit more detail in good illumination).

I'm not sure how I feel about this. As a nerd, I'm excited to get my hands on one and check out a 10MP camera.

But as a CCTV professional I'm concerned that now my customers are going to "need" this camera and are not going to setup a network that has the bandwidth for 10MP.

Even a 6fps max that thing is going to eat networks for breakfast.

I'm a big proponent of a dedicated network for NVR solutions, but you know how some people just think they can add an NVR to their existing infrastructure.

Though MP cameras do make it easier to sell a dedicated network.

Compared with 5MP sensor, the 10MP sensor get lower sensitivity, narrower dynamic range, larger cross-talk among the neighboring pixels. yes, anyway, it has higher resolution ( if used with some expensive 10MP lens, you can expect a little bit more detail in good illumination).

I have visited Arecont yesterday and saw this camera in real life on 40" plazma screen. Oh yes, image size is impressive. I did ask about low light sensitivity and what they told me: we combine 4 pixels into 1, so pixel is bigger, so it has the same sensitivity as our 5mpix camera.

Also I did ask about 10 mpix lens, they said "just use any high res lens, should be fine". It will cost approx 20% more than 5mpix camera.

10 MP is absolutely "bull ****", due to optic resolution on small sensor size.

That's theoretically impossible. Just "big size" for marketing....

Hellou, what bull****, I did see that camera myself yesterday in front of me and showing on huge 40" screen. Also, I spoke to Arecont employee.

10 MP is absolutely "bull ****", due to optic resolution on small sensor size.

That's theoretically impossible. Just "big size" for marketing....

Hellou, what bull****, I did see that camera myself yesterday in front of me and showing on huge 40" screen. Also, I spoke to Arecont employee.

I edit my previous message, that's explains....

I don't think shropna is calling BS on being able to produce a 10 MP camera, the technology and capabilities are there.

What I think he's talking about is there being any significant advantage of a 10MP imager coupled to a standard C/CS mount lens, and with the additional limitation of pixels that small (1.67um on a 1/2.3" imager, if I'm looking at the right imager cut-sheet).

On that one, I would tend to agree. Even on the 5MP cameras, with the very high quality Fujinon machine vision lenses, I can see limitations of the optical system in the image.

We'll have to see if the 10MP camera really produces that much more usable detail in a given image, or just a larger image with no more really useful information.

We'll have to see if the 10MP camera really produces that much more usable detail in a given image, or just a larger image with no more really useful information.

That's what i'm talking about....

I don't understand the logic. I have a DSLR camera, 12MP on a 1/2" CMOS sensor and it's way better than my previous DSLR from the same company with 6MP. So are you saying that a 1/2" (or in this case, 1/2.3") can not support twice the number of pixels? Sure, I can take a 6MP image and use Photoshop to interpolate it to 10MP and honestly say I have a 10MP image, but it's not the same as having a raw image generated from a 10MP sensor.

Whats this going to do to the Avigilon 16MP camera?

Acigilon 16 MP camera has 35mm sensor format

So, pixels are more bigger, and optical resolution effects is less....

if they combine 4 pixel to 1 to enhance its low light performance, the result will be even worse than a native 2.5MP sensor ( you can't just combine 4 neighboring pixel,you will have to conbine 16 pixel which in a 4x4 window to 4 pixel).

To form a pixel 3 transistors is minimum, more pixel means more area for transistor and lear area to sense light. that is why the sensitivity of 10MP sensor is 310mv/lux.sec, and 5MP sensor is 1400mv/lux.sec. 4 pixel in 10MP just collect similar amount of light as the 1 pixel in 5MP !

Fujinon 5MP lens seems the only affordable 5MP lens. however even with the 5MP sensor, you can still find significant red/blue fringe in the corner of the image ( especially for their 12.5mm model). such kind lens designed for machine vision application. in such kind of application, they use single colour LED as illumination, colour aberration won't make any trouble, but for video surveillance, you have to live with the full-colour sunlight.

I don't know if the BSI( back side illumination) sensor can, Aptina will start to sell 14MP sensor maybe from the end of this year ( they have announced it several month ago).

Maybe, with this new fancy technology, the 14MP sensor can provide similar low light performance as 5MP sensor. we this new technology the cross-talk between pixels can be suppress as well, because the pixel will become" shallow", the light leakage will not be as easy as former "deep pixel".

However, you still need very good and very expensive optics to get more detail. no any imaginable technology can circumvent this obstacle.

I guess without any real low light performance it will still be good for a very expensive retail store.

Whats this going to do to the Avigilon 16MP camera?

Avigilon 16MP = $15000

Arecont 10MP = $1300

Yup a huge difference!

While on the subject, I was at a job the other day totally unrelated to CCTV and they had about maybe 16 total of some vandal arecont domes, they seemed around 1.3 megapixel, and they had 9 of the cameras over wireless, maybe 1-2fps each camera. They had what seemed like 2 systems, both Nuuo, one had a Nuuo DVR card, maybe 16 channel, for a couple old non IP cameras, and the non wireless IP cameras. Seems the 9 wireless cameras were on the other system, perhaps a single wireless tx per camera.

What kind of rough retail price do you expect that to cost, parts only? If say the Wireless was a standard consumer based, not mega expensive.

They apparently charged the people over 100,000 for that BTW. Just trying to get a handle on how much they ripped them off.

Just saw images from the 10MP and my eyes tell me the image is better then the 5MP

with well controlled illumination, Image from 10MP camera is definitely better than that from a 5MP camera.

Does anyone have any samples / lens recommendations for this? I am looking to see long range face detection performance. I currently have the 5MP with a decent lens and unless I do not have it configured properly, its not *that* clear.