m_O_O_m

How do I join a cut rg59 wires?

Hi.

I am new to CCTV world and I want to know a proper way to join a cut rg59 wires.

I tried search and read more than 300 threads now. However I could not find an answer for my question.

Maybe my question is so newbie so I guess everybody don't need to ask here in the forum.

I need your help.

search goodle for f-81

then use two f connectors on either side...

at least thats what i would do

Or, you could splice the cable together, center to center, braid to braid. Seal it up good.

There is no "proper" way, they all have their pros and cons. AND it depends where the splice is. Although if there were a standard way to do it, it would be using what Soundy posted.

6dB is a halving of the signal. You'll get that if you're splitting it to two loads.... you shouldn't get that from simply inserting a barrel.

search goodle for f-81

then use two f connectors on either side...

at least thats what i would do

me to.

forget splicing, its a poor way of doing it. it works okish but not reliable. poor connection and poor insulation.

BNC's are just big and bulky.

couple of water proof F's + F joiner, bit of sealing tape and its all good...expect if they pull hard on the cable and pull the centre core out of the joiner! (same problem with some bnc connectors)

F connectors are just much more tidy way and seals better.

forget splicing, its a poor way of doing it. it works okish but not reliable. poor connection and poor insulation.

I gotta disagree ... I have them in the field for a decade now ..

I dont LIKE to do it though .. but they do work.

but using a connector inline, I just dont feel it is good enough, BNC connections can come loose, especially if you are pushing that connection back up into a ceiling you have no access to. Been there before with BNC connections. A twist here, a push there, and bingo the connector can come loose. If its easy to access then sure, connector all the way.

Only thing is I HATE electric tape .. no matter which method.

I guess the proper way would be to use heat shrink tubing and go all out but you know how it goes .. if one is splicing a connection then most likely its fixing someone elses mistake .. and the client isnt paying good most times.

golden rule of installs is NEVER put a connection in where you can't get to it later.

trouble with splicing is you never get the shield 100%. also the dielectric suffers. but hey i've seen plenty just twisted together and taped with electrical tape that have been fine to.

F's don't unscrew if done up properly, especially if you use lock nuts. biggest problem is the centre wire can pull out.

I have no trouble with the shield, though maybe its the way I do it.

I can agree it is not 100%, but neither is a BNC connection.

In fact I figure there is less quality loss this way over using a connector, Ive just never had a problem, always great quality and no issues.

As for putting the connection, well depends on the job. I should have specified it more clearly as being in a difficult place, not somewhere one cant get to 100%, but very difficult at times, especially when its 100 degrees outside and much more in a tight attic at a long distance from attic entrance to the camera location. Its that or let the connection hang down, or put it in a box but find most clients dont want to either, especially in a business. Not sure what you mean by F connectors, but if its the cat Tv type then yup I would never trust one of those.

Well I have to say I've always used the BNC method, and a barrel adapter to connect. Then, plenty of high grade electrical tape or heatshrink depending on the location.

But, after just realizing that the F connector will do the same thing I'm quite intrigued. To me, the advantage of using an F connector is that there are 2 less points of failure. Think of it this way:

Copper Wire > Center Pin of BNC > Contact in Barrel < Center Pin of BNC < Copper Wire

Using an F Connector:

Copper Wire > Contact in Barrel < Copper Wire

In the past I've seen situations with BNC connectors where that extra connection has been the culprit. Granted extremely seldom.

In my opinion, a proper F conn terminated with the proper tool is just as good as a BNC. Possibly not suited for as many re connections though. Something like the TNB Snap N Seals, or the Gilbert connectors should be ideal.

The last perk would definitely be the $ savings of 2 less BNCs needed for a splice!!

John

Hello all.

Now this response will be 5 years too late for some of you, but I've only just stumbled across this discussion. I work for a coaxial connector manufacturer, Coax Connectors Ltd, and last year we developed a cable joiner for just this purpose. The original requirement came from a speed camera manufacturer having repeated issues of their video cables being cut. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that!

Anyway, we now make the connector on the link below. It is IP68 rated (waterproof) to take into account the instances when the cable joiner may be exposed to the element. So if you do want to do a professional job with minimal losses, this is the way.

http://www.coax-connectors.com/products/connectors/miscellaneous/76-570-q6-ai.aspx

If this is of interest, we'd be more than happy to contact some recommended distributors.

Rgds David

WOW!!! 12 steps for each side of the splice? And I assume it only works on "standard" RG59/U? No plenum? No allowance for oddball RG59/U center conductor and outer diameters?

It appears that the cure is worse than the disease...