SpyGuy10

Any experience with Gen IV Commercial-Class DVRs (G4-XLAHD)?

The slim line in the first link i posted is the exact same unit as the Intellicam slim line. SAme software everything down to the T.

Are you sure you are talking about Gen IV's current models? Here are side-by-side images of the XTS unit you linked to, and the current Gen IV "Business Class" DVR (the most economical of their three current models). The XTS is really hard to see but that's the best image XTS has on their {crappy} website (their main menu has a link for "Costumer Support"). But even with the tiny fuzzy picture, I can see that the two units are not identical, at least not externally.

126800_1.jpg

XTS Video : XTS-DVR720-S

126800_2.jpg

Gen IV : G4-HD-E

The 16 channel model i used is the older model of the same DVR intellicam has, basically all the same except without HDMI, Xts also has the HDMI versions on their site but they didnt send them. It could have been a defective model, but in D1 it was good quality. There were some other issues I had with it .. slow painting of GUI for example.

This is the Gen IV "Commercial Class" G4-XLAHD that we are considering for purchase.

126800_3.jpg

they claim dual stream, meaning what you see remotely is totally separate from the server's resolution and quality settings, hence you could record in CIF while live video is in D1 and the remote video can be in any quality setting you want.

When I spoke with the Gen IV rep, she told me that the 4 live video feeds on their demo site was at CIF resolution. I mentioned to her at the time that they should also provide a demo feed at 4CIF for comparison purposes. I cannot see why (or even how) they could broadcast across the Internet at a higher resolution than what's being recorded. Even an old IDE hard drive has MUCH more bandwidth than a DSL or cable Internet connection.

Are you sure you are talking about Gen IV's current models? Here are side-by-side images of the XTS unit you linked to, and the current Gen IV "Business Class" DVR (the most economical of their three current models). The XTS is really hard to see but that's the best image XTS has on their {crappy} website (their main menu has a link for "Costumer Support"). But even with the tiny fuzzy picture, I can see that the two units are not identical, at least not externally.

Yes, the photos on XTS websites are not correct .. notice the photo pending stuff .. its the same exact unit, ive been to the manufacturers website. Basically XTS is a distributor in florida, like most in Florida they bring stuff in from asia to sell to latin america (which they also define the Caribbean as ) at the lowest price they can, along with that their websites are not always up to par

This is the Gen IV "Commercial Class" G4-XLAHD that we are considering for purchase.

Looks similar to the unit I used. Remember its basically the same unit, just without HDMI (I dont recall right now if the buttons and jog dial were in the same place as its been a couple months) .. the guts might also differ a little. And ofcourse the one i used was missing the HDMI

When I spoke with the Gen IV rep, she told me that the 4 live video feeds on their demo site was at CIF resolution. I mentioned to her at the time that they should also provide a demo feed at 4CIF for comparison purposes. I cannot see why (or even how) they could broadcast across the Internet at a higher resolution than what's being recorded. Even an old IDE hard drive has MUCH more bandwidth than a DSL or cable Internet connection.

Dual Streams ... with dual stream networked DVRs the recording is separate from the webserver or video server* ... basically whatever the source is set to (by factory or as in the case of a PC based a user can also change that), it can stream at that or less, depending on the DVR settings and capabilities, and also the user can normally change the compression etc. Recording has no play in it. It has a separate server just to handle the remote video. The recording quality and size is only for recording. Especially with these DVRs, you would notice the high quality live video even moreso when using HDMI, while when you set the recording to CIF the live video does not change. The webserver or video server* works with the live video, not the recorded video.

*can differ from one DVR to the next

I cant find the manufacturer website right now .. will keep checking ... i found it before .. maybe even from a link on this forum.