glf

Add Microphone to outdoor cam

I want to add a microphone to an outdoor analog cam.

Where I can buy a suitable model for outdoor usage ?

What prerequisite the camera should meet to support the microphone ?

Thank You

There's a few places to get mics from. Louroe, ETS, etc..

I really like (and distribute) ETS. http://www.etsnm.com

Really good prices and they are pro level mic output.

Thank You.

My cameras should have some "special" input to add the audio channel ?

You camera does not have audio, and you are adding an external microphone for audio recording.

Run RG59 siamese wiring. More than likely your microphone will need 12 volt power to work.

When using ETS, or Louroe microphones then run the wiring they specify.

What you need to be aware of with recording is that you have a lot of outdoor noise. I do not know where you live and what kind of noise environment you have. If you are near a road where large dump trucks or 18 wheelers run, or if you live near an airport then you have to take this in to consideration.

If you crank up the sensitivity then you will be listening to swishing leaves on trees, and birds chirping and such.

You will want to have the microphone right where you want to listen. In other words you will not want the camera on a roof eave if you are listening to the area at the end of your driveway.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Thank You Scorpion,

very helpful post.

I'm new to the videosurveillance world, and especially of cabling. Good to know that with RG59 siamese wiring I have a combined cable for video and audio.

Ideally, I want audio to be recorded only when there is a motion detection event, triggered by the camera, to avoid all the problems you described above related to audio recording.

This is stuff that should be andled by the dvr ...

Bye

I have heard that, depending on your local laws, adding a microphone to something like a video camera may fall under applicable wiretapping laws.

Cameras that record images but no sound seems to be okay, but I've read here and there that when you add sound recording capabilities, it's best to ensure that you aren't treading too far.

Best to double-check. Good luck!

Hello,

I use NTSC camera. It is Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Security Camera with Audio/Microphone. This has good quality for night AND day. For during the day, it is a colored camera while for night, it is black and white. Both very clear. Very easy to use, plug in yellow and white and a power cable and good to go.

Regards

Iva

Karaoke Magic Microphone