Chimp

Which CPU?

Hi all,

I’ve got a NV5000, and intend on building a small unit just dedicated for my DVR card.

What I would like to know though, is if the DVR software and card can make use of mutiple CPU cores? Can it multi thread using the lastest software?

Basically I want to know if I'm best off buying the fastest single core processor for the job or a slower clock speed multi core CPU.

Advice?

Regards

C

How many cards/ total channels will be on the system? What time of compression? H.264 is pretty processor intensive...

We almost always use Intel dual core regardless.

How many cards/ total channels will be on the system? What time of compression? H.264 is pretty processor intensive...

We almost always use Intel dual core regardless.

I have 4 analogue (pal) Cam setup, I like to record in 25fps on each cam and at 720x480 Although I appreciate this isn’t what it is intended to do.

Just trying to work out what sort of processor I need to be able handle this?

I’ve looked at the avermedia recommended hardware list but its so old and out of date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C

I dont know avermedia personally but I would imagine if its a 120fps card and just 4 cameras then you should be able to do it with any modern Dual Core CPU, even the most basic E5300. We use to do it with P4s with other DVR software but then again the Server software has got much more heavy now and thats where the real issue is IMO, with 4 cams that is, 16 cams is a different story.