Hi to all,

i have just received a kodicom card and software the card is an 880>

I have istalled the card and the drvers,i have installed the digicom software centre but the Digicom site software wont install as there seems to be data missing.

Could anyone tell me if the site software is the application to view the camera's directly from the dvr card on the pc?

The site software is for the server/recorder/live view... the center is the remote viewer...

-Marcus

bob do you have a manual for it? if so email me it to take a looksee

I dont know Kodicom but I can take a look.

Rory

if the site server is the server software, that will have to be running on the DVR PC first, for the center software to connect.

also, it looks like it uses something called the Apache HTTP server, which would have to be running for the browser based GUI to work with it.

Rory

I think the Kodicom card needs an Intel chipset on the m/board with a pentium cpu to make it work,as mine is an amd this could be the problem.

Anyone?

no that message means a required file, probably an OS file, is missing.

think the Kodicom card needs an Intel chipset on the m/board with a pentium cpu to make it work,as mine is an amd this could be the problem.

Is this the case for kodicom?

That's actually the case with almost every major DVR manufacturer. I believe that is the "HINT" chip on the boards that make this requirement.

"HINT" Chip basically joins all of the Video Compression processors together, most commonly the BT878 Chip by Connexant.

Does the version 4.12 of site software solve the chipset issues or is it a case of a new pc build?

I am a DIYer. I read about some of the DVR cards on ebay. I knew it was a risk, but thought what the heck, if it does not work I am not out much.

I bought an 8 channel/240FPS card with the Kodicom software(at the least the manual shows it to be). Yes, it came from China. I have not installed it yet.

My question- If I don't like the software functionality or it just does not work right can this capture board be used with other brands of DVR software or is the board software specific?

If other software can be used with the card do you have any recommendations?

Which seller did you buy the card from I know one which has a card that works! with Kodicom I dont know which version? I contacted a guy who bought one and he said it did all it was supposed to do reply to my email (****** Ebay ID) :-

****** will do the full 240fps @ 640x480.A much better buy. Plus ****** only ties up one slot on you computer thanks to the pigtail which allows for all eight connections. ****** will tie up 3 slots for 8 cameras. one for the card, two for the connectors.

I know there are some companies that sell software for the Kodicom boards, but you aren't going to get software that isn't writen for it to work.

Which seller did you buy the card from .

I bought from Qualitystar168. The specs you mention are the same as the one I bought. In fact, the reason I chose it. I was skeptical so I actually cruised through his prior closed auctions. I emailed several people who bought the same card/software and all were very happy with the performance. There were a couple that commented on finding the card working better on a Windows 2000 system rather than XP, but other than that they were all happy.

One of these guys even sent me a copy of the installation manuals. They were Kodicom installation manuals. One manual for "site" (host?) for "center" (client?).

I just received both the computer I ordered and the dvr card. I will install today. (fingers crossed)

The install went fine except for my stupidity! I was stupid and somehow allowed Windows to select the drivers from my hard drive instead of the ones on the supplied CD. I still can't figure how I missed that.

It is working fine. So good that I ordered another card which will bring me up to 16 total cameras @ 30fps each.

From everything I experienced I found:

Although XP will work OK, Windows 2000 is preferred

I have been told this card will not run with AMD. Must be Intel.

Use the drivers supplied.

So good that I ordered another card which will bring me up to 16 total cameras @ 30fps each.

Seems I spoke too soon.

Yes, I had the single card working great at 640x480@ 30fps for all 8 cameras. I have confirmed this.

So it only stands to reason that another card should give me 16 cameras capable of 640x480 @30 fps each, right? NOT. The best I can get at that resolution is 10fps for all cams.

I have checked and double checked my installation and it appears everything is correct. I have checked with another seller of what appears to be the exact same card. He says that with 2 cards you will only get about 12fps at 640x480.

I know I am not a pro, but this sounds strange to me. The only things I can think are limiting my ability to get the full 30fps would be the software itself or I am exceeding the throughput of the PCI bus.

Have any of the pros here run in to this before or have thoughts?

Thanks!

There are not many cards that give you 16 channels at 480pps and 640x480.

And I believe this is due to the fact that it is using software compression (?), the hardware compression cards normally provide 480pps and 720x480, but these are rare.

Hey rory,

Isn't it strange, though, that a single card easily gives me 8 cameras achieving 30fps at 640x480, but when you put in a second, identical card you can only get 10fps at the same resolution?

The software compression issue sounds feasible. The cards are putting through all the data, but the software can not handle it all.

Just for future reference, what brand cards have hardware compression?