2noids

Help the Newb! GeoVision 800 or wait for h.264 cards?

Greetings!

I need guidance from the wise and informed!

I am new to this Forum, and am “newâ€

Hi, not sure on GEO except they have alot of setup/upgrade issues, as you will also see on this forum. I like simple myself.

Being in texas, you may want to check out Video Insight, they use Comart cards and write their own software, great product. Works in FireFox and IE on the Browser side.

Also. check out the demo on my site for MPEG-4-S compression as far as remote viewing goes. Im still using Wavelet for local recording as it is higher quality than Mpeg4, but im using Mpeg4 for remote video as it is real time, really sweet. Im using the I-view card - its plug and play, requires no dongles or anything, and just works out of the box.

Either way you go the most imortant thing is to use a dedicated PC.

As for alarms, I installed Ademco alarms for 6 years before I got into CCTV, still do for certain clients. You can use a relay card to tie into most PC DVRs. What do you want to do as far as tieing in the DVR and alarm? Ademco also has a Video Switcher that also works as a keypad, it allows 4 cameras in quad view or switching.

GE has a full PC software application that ties into everything, their alarms , DVRs, Access, etc. Short of that is using something like Crestron or some of the cheaper products.

Rory

Eventually I'd like to tie the motion sensing cameras into the alarm unit as additional intrusion sensors.

That is to say I could have indoor cameras set up to record/alert about intrusion while the alarm is activated, and disabled while we are home.

And if footage inside IS obtained while the alarm panel is fully active, I'd like it to set off the alarm for us. Clear as mud?

Is the Video Insight based on the new encryption? What cards ARE available with the newer/better MPG4?

Ademco looks to be a reputable alarm co. I'll look into them, thanks.

We'll be adding MPEG-4 and WMV support in June. We do offer a DIO card that can accept inputs and act as a limited relay. (It's an electrical relay, rather than an informational relay.)

Eventually I'd like to tie the motion sensing cameras into the alarm unit as additional intrusion sensors.

That is to say I could have indoor cameras set up to record/alert about intrusion while the alarm is activated, and disabled while we are home.

And if footage inside IS obtained while the alarm panel is fully active, I'd like it to set off the alarm for us. Clear as mud?

Is the Video Insight based on the new encryption? What cards ARE available with the newer/better MPG4?

Ademco looks to be a reputable alarm co. I'll look into them, thanks.

The DVR does the motion side of it, not the cameras.

No motion detection from CCTV should replace a real motion detector as used in an alarm system.

You would use the alarm output of the DVR to tie into the alarm panel's siren using a 12V relay, or trigger a zone.

Thomas answered your question about VI. Others also have it now, the one I have here is Iview. Geo also uses it. They are different forms of Mpeg4 though also.

Ademco is Honeywell, its huge, you would actually use a retailer/installer/distirbutor to buy the parts from or have installed.

Rory

Thank you for all the help gents!

I called HikVision (is that looking at a bunch of hillbillies? lol) and they have a 4 channel card with .264 encoding for $360.00, with SW.

They claim with their .264 they can have 64 simultaneous 30 FPS channels going and the CPU usage stays less that 5% utilization. I reckon that is because the card itself localizes the processing. Interesting.

They don't have an eval program though. Bummer.

$360. Which model card that be?

Who be this BubbaVision place anyway? Are they decent?

Had a quick hik look at their site and they say they are 'The World Leader in Digital Video Surveillance Technology'. Now I just do not know who to believe... too many are the bestest or the world leaders.

we is the bestesest and the greatesest in the universe

foeget the wurld .. ha ha ha

They were offering the 4 channel h.264 card for $360.00. (I hope the mods at this forum don't mind me posting retail costs, right?)

Evidently this h.264 hardware is newer technology and is used prodominately in the real-time video editing world, but from what I can read about performance it should have far superrior recording quality for about the same price as the GeoVision 4 channel solution, while using far less CPU and HD resources.

I'm told he software has motion activated recording, multi camera view, IP access and IP camera compatibilty, etc., very similar if not the same as GeoVision's.

Why am I always the early adopter? Lol!

Oh, and if anyone wants to pimp a couple of their camers to me, please look at the classifieds in this forum for my needs if your interested. TY.

They were offering the 4 channel h.264 card for $360.00. (I hope the mods at this forum don't mind me posting retail costs, right?)

Evidently this h.264 hardware is newer technology and is used prodominately in the real-time video editing world, but from what I can read about performance it should have far superrior recording quality for about the same price as the GeoVision 4 channel solution, while using far less CPU and HD resources.

I'm told he software has motion activated recording, multi camera view, IP access and IP camera compatibilty, etc., very similar if not the same as GeoVision's.

Why am I always the early adopter? Lol!

Oh, and if anyone wants to pimp a couple of their camers to me, please look at the classifieds in this forum for my needs if your interested. TY.

Which one below?

http://www.hikvisionusa.com/products/dvr_cards.asp

BTW, Video Insight's looks decent. Jus too bad they don't have a 4-channel DVR card option. I only need 1 or 2 cams for home like yourself.

I have no idea what the SW looks like, and if its a Dog they give only one week for returns. I just took the sales guy's word for it when I called. (One born every minute, right?)

On the other hand, if you go to their website can click demo (you may have to enable your activex) you can see the remote monitor feed. Pic quality is really good, and this faster type of encoding is supposed to help minimize blurriness during motion that the MPG2 and MPG4 have.

Video Insight has been very coopertive and professional helping me with this quest of mine, I just don't think they are quite there with the top -end encoding yet (they shared that's changing soon, look for next month maybe). Their SW is probably da bomb tho from what I've seen.

Guess what, H.264 IS MPEG4

check out the demo on my site ..it auto connects in MPEG4-S ..

by the way, its a good job they arent recording in that quality ....it looks like the lowest quality setting. Im not saying its not good, ofcourse its good, just dont let them make you think that it is ALL there is available to give you real time video.

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Redirected from H.264)

H.264, or MPEG-4 Part 10, is a high compression digital video codec standard written by the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) together with the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) as the product of a collective partnership effort known as the Joint Video Team (JVT). The ITU-T H.264 standard and the ISO/IEC MPEG-4 Part 10 standard (formally, ISO/IEC 14496-10) are technically identical, and the technology is also known as AVC, for Advanced Video Coding. The final drafting work on the first version of the standard was completed in May of 2003.

H.264 is a name related to the ITU-T line of H.26x video standards, while AVC relates to the ISO/IEC MPEG side of the partnership project that completed the work on the standard, after earlier development done in the ITU-T as a project called H.26L. It is usual to call the standard as H.264/AVC (or AVC/H.264 or H.264/MPEG-4 AVC or MPEG-4/H.264 AVC) to emphasize the common heritage. The name H.26L, harkening back to its ITU-T history, is far less common, but still used. Occasionally, it has also been referred to as "the JVT codec", in reference to the JVT organization that developed it. (Such partnership and multiple naming is not unprecedented, as the video codec standard known as MPEG-2 also arose from a partnership between MPEG and the ITU-T, and MPEG-2 video is also known in the ITU-T community as H.262.)

The intent of H.264/AVC project has been to create a standard that would be capable of providing good video quality at bit rates that are substantially lower (e.g., half or less) than what previous standards would need (e.g., relative to MPEG-2, H.263, or MPEG-4 Part 2), and to do so without so much of an increase in complexity as to make the design impractical (expensive) to implement. An additional goal was to do this in a flexible way that would allow the standard to be applied to a very wide variety of applications (e.g., for both low and high bit rates, and low and high resolution video) and to work well on a very wide variety of networks and systems (e.g., for broadcast, DVD storage, RTP/IP packet networks, and ITU-T multimedia telephony systems).

The JVT recently completed the development of some extensions to the original standard that are known as the Fidelity Range Extensions (FRExt). These extensions support higher-fidelity video coding by supporting increased sample accuracy (including 10-bit and 12-bit coding) and higher-resolution color information (including sampling structures known as YUV 4:2:2 and YUV 4:4:4). Several other features are also included in the Fidelity Range Extensions project (such as adaptive switching between 4×4 and 8×8 integer transforms, encoder-specified perceptual-based quantization weighting matrices, efficient inter-picture lossless coding, support of additional color spaces, and a residual color transform). The design work on the Fidelity Range Extensions was completed in July of 2004, and the drafting was finished in September of 2004.

Since the completion of the original version of the standard in May of 2003, the JVT has also done one round of "corrigendum" errata corrections, and an additional round of such corrigendum work was recently completed and approved in the ITU-T and will soon also be finished in MPEG.

Thanks for the Info! So it looks to be an emerging new/more efficient MPEG4 standard that has alredy gone through Beta, Alpha, Rev 1, and looks to be already at "rev 2."

OK, I'll bite. Im ordering the full 01 hikVision card, I will post back how I like it...