SEANHAWG

Is this normal for DVR playback.

Hi,

I just bought a Vitek 4 channel DVR:

http://www.vitekcctv.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=582

I love it so far but I have noticed that on playback the video doesnt seem to be full stream. I have it set on 30 fps (highest it will go) and the highest quality recording possible yet it still seems to be slightly "lapsy". For example the video quality looks a ton better when just monitoring the cameras as opposed to playing back the video. I am sure this is to conserve recording time but I figure there would be a way to get it to record at full stream but with just less recording time. Is this pretty normal for DVR's? Its nothing that will impede me from seeing what I need to see but still I can get a better recording out of my analog Samsung VCR recorder set at normal 6 hour recording speed if I wanted to, thats the only thing that kind of ticks me off. Please let me know.

check what the recording fps is for that resolution and quality. often companies will advertise the recording fps for the lowest resolution not the highest.

If I am not mistaken, 30 fps is the fastest video stream correct? If so, then its definetely not showing 30 fps because the difference between the "monitoring" view and the "recording" view is noticeable. Not a great deal or anything but as said before I get more "streaming" video with my analog VCR set at standard 6 hour time. Is this pretty normal for DVR's

I'll compare it to a dish network DVR, whenever you record a tv show, you can play it back and it will look exactly like you did the first time it was live. This is not so with the Vitek DVR, the picture looks like a very fast time lapse video.

If I am not mistaken, 30 fps is the fastest video stream correct? If so, then its definetely not showing 30 fps because the difference between the "monitoring" view and the "recording" view is noticeable. Not a great deal or anything but as said before I get more "streaming" video with my analog VCR set at standard 6 hour time. Is this pretty normal for DVR's

I'll compare it to a dish network DVR, whenever you record a tv show, you can play it back and it will look exactly like you did the first time it was live. This is not so with the Vitek DVR, the picture looks like a very fast time lapse video.

what you have to remember is this is a dvr recorder and not a dvd recorder. you will not be getting 30fps on your dvr. you are getting in total 120 ips. ips is not the same as fps you have to half it 15fps is your dvr

Thanks for the info.

The only thing is the recordings are measured by Fps as opposed to Ips on this DVR. For example, when I go into the menu it has a place where you can toggle the fps. I set this to 30. Even though it says Fps, is it really Ips? It doesnt really say anything about IPS anywhere.

And just out of curiosity, why couldn't a DVR record in 30 fps? I know this is a bad comparison but a Tivo, Dish Network, and Direct TV can record in full video speed, why cant a security DVR? It pretty much has the same concept as a VCR and DVD recorder, it just saves to a hard drive, why the loss of video quality?

Thanks for the info.

The only thing is the recordings are measured by Fps as opposed to Ips on this DVR. For example, when I go into the menu it has a place where you can toggle the fps. I set this to 30. Even though it says Fps, is it really Ips? It doesnt really say anything about IPS anywhere.

And just out of curiosity, why couldn't a DVR record in 30 fps? I know this is a bad comparison but a Tivo, Dish Network, and Direct TV can record in full video speed, why cant a security DVR? It pretty much has the same concept as a VCR and DVD recorder, it just saves to a hard drive, why the loss of video quality?

you have a system that is only 15fps on each camera. if you need dvd quality then you are going to have to spend mega money and go for a nvr with good ip cameras.

your dvr is 30fps looking at the screen but recording is only 15fps. you are not going to get any better from it.

Okay, yes you are correct. I just looked at the specifications on the front of the manual and sure enough it says up to 120 IPS recording.

Oh well, I'm not dissatisfied whatsoever. Just wondering about the video quality. It still looks pretty good so I'm happy. Thanks for the help.

Okay, yes you are correct. I just looked at the specifications on the front of the manual and sure enough it says up to 120 IPS recording.

Oh well, I'm not dissatisfied whatsoever. Just wondering about the video quality. It still looks pretty good so I'm happy. Thanks for the help.

15fps is good i will pm you a demo of differant fps

TOTAL 120fps in CIF, 30fps in D1, is normal with most 4 channel DVRs these days.

4 channel DVRs are typically a manufacturers budget units, they tend to make them as cheap as possible and with that comes less features.

I learn something every day. So that explains why my 16 channel multiplexers are advertised as 30 fps but when I switch to multiple screens, their is more time in between frames. For example, when I had one camera up, the video was at full 30 fps, at 4 camera view the video is a little less "streaming", at 9 camera view the views look a little more "lapsing" and at 16 camera view, it is very "lapsing". The whole unit is set at 30 fps but the more cameras shown the less fps per square. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the info guys. I love learning new stuff in this fascinating field.

Well .. with 4 channel DVRs live video is normally real time these days .. even with most 8 and 16 channel stand alones. PC DVRs will differ. Now with muxes, I havent used them in years but back in the day they were never real time in 9-16 way. A mux is different anyway, with multiple images it just switches between them super fast, so thats why you will see a greater delay as you switch to more views. If you were to ever play back multiplexed video recorded from a mux on a VCR that does not demux it, then you will just see a bunch of images switching too fast to be useful.

yeah my DVR views in real time but my 16 channel MUX multiplexer does not. As you said, the higher the view count, the slower the video.