Voipmodo

WIl HDBaseT be adopted by Security Vendors?

A new format was just announced that is set to replace hdmi for Video and Audio transmissions, HDBaseT. This new format basically allows for HD Video up to 4K resolution, audio, USB, 100Megabit Data,and power (100Watts) over standard cat 6 cable and rj45 connectors up to 100 meters and the ability to extend farther with repeaters.

Though designed for converged home audio/video, this new format would seem to open up many possibilities in the IP Security Camera world.

Link http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366046,00.asp

People that just spent thousands of $$ on HDMI cables are going to pull their hair out . But just like every other standard before this one saidly will never see the full potential and there will just be more frustration for the consumers and dealers. DVI was a joke, HDMI still doesn't do everything they said it to was going to do and never will. You sell a customer a $3000 HDMI 1.3 cable and run it in the wall then 6 months later HDMI 1.4 comes out and then you have to tell your customer the cable will not work with the new features of 1.4.

Hopefully this new standard is quickly adopted and they STICK WITH IT

end rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfbiILDmw-I

Just another way to help make Best Buy a few more bucks next time you buy a new TV and can't reuse those archaic HDMI cables. 3K must be in Indian Rupees which comes out to $64 USD. $50 for 50' cable is fair, my place sells them for $40, neener, neener, neener.

Actually it makes sense.

http://www.valens-semi.com/technology/technology-demo.aspx

They have just started placing RJ45 connections on TVs for streaming Netflix, Pandora, You Tube, and others.

Netflix sends out discs to reprogram Gaming systems to stream video.

3D is bandwith intensive and this is why you see these new "higher speed" internet rollouts.

HTPC would gain by only having one cable rather than three cables (audio, video, and internet and excluding keyboard mouse ect)

With the names listed of the companies then it most likely is headed for production as it takes years for all of the ratification and engineering.

Thanks for the link!

Edited by Guest

Note: Samsung, and Sony are 50/50 partners and own a joint factory producing lcd panels.

This is why you see their names together in the new alliance.

I am surprised World of Warcraft is not one of the sponsors!

RJ45 connector is really bad: bulky (compared with circular multi-pin connector), unreliable (without any metal locking mechanism). the only two merit are cost and availability.

RJ45 connector is really bad: bulky (compared with circular multi-pin connector), unreliable (without any metal locking mechanism). the only two merit are cost and availability.

I'd add the merits of easy termination, even by lightly trained personnel.....

If you are trying to introduce a new transmission protocol/format, using commonly available cable and connectors is not a bad plan, will probably help it gain wider acceptance (if some other scheme doesn't knock it off first).

**************Edit**********

If you are a conspiracy theorist, wonder if Monster Cable and other high-end (margin) cable manufacturers will try to kill this?

Actually I think that Monster cables will embrace it. they will just add gold plated connectors, bigger strain relief, and maybe a matte black cable color and charge $49.99 for a 12ft. Even more margin for them to swindle from the consumers at retail stores.

Actually I think that Monster cables will embrace it. they will just add gold plated connectors, bigger strain relief, and maybe a matte black cable color and charge $49.99 for a 12ft. Even more margin for them to swindle from the consumers at retail stores.

Heck, I was just guessing when I threw that comment out, but then I searched, and here it is.. http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=922! Voipmodo, you had it right, except it's colored Navajo White!

Are you saying HDMI is better?

A new format was just announced that is set to replace hdmi for Video and Audio transmissions, HDBaseT. This new format basically allows for HD Video up to 4K resolution, audio, USB, 100Megabit Data,and power (100Watts) over standard cat 6 cable and rj45 connectors up to 100 meters and the ability to extend farther with repeaters.

Though designed for converged home audio/video, this new format would seem to open up many possibilities in the IP Security Camera world.

Link http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366046,00.asp

No, another nonsense non standard.

Ilkie