billm

Cannot Get Rid Of Login Screen

I built my DVR PC about a month ago now and its been working great. Whenever I reboot it, it comes up fast and goes directly to my desktop.

I came home from work today and there was a windows logon screen sitting there, I had to hit the user name box in order to get to the desktop. I can't seem to find how to turn this function off. The only changes I've been able to do is change it from the simple hit user option to the normal Windows logon screen that askes for a password.

Anybody know how to turn this off, and how did it start all of a sudden?

The last thing I did to the computer was last night, I installed an HP printer with the accompaning software.

Go to Run or Command Prompt (type "cmd" in start, run) and type in "control userpasswords2". Highlight the user that will bypass logon and uncheck the Users must enter a password, click apply. When the dialog box opens just click ok and exit.

Thanks... I'm now able to logon automatically again. What I don't like it now, during reboot, I see the logon screen flash on the screen for an instant which I didn't have before.

This all started after installing the S/W for an HP Photosmart printer. It installs some kind of Net user, updates MS Net Framework to ver 1.1 and adds 7 different programs to the startup folder. What bull****... I deleted the Net user as well as uninstalled all their S/W and the printer works fine.

Let this be a reminder to set a restore point before installing any new S/W. I waited too long to troubleshoot the problem and could not do a restore.

Now I'm going to try and find a way to revert back to the older version of Net Framework.

Thanks... I'm now able to logon automatically again. What I don't like it now, during reboot, I see the logon screen flash on the screen for an instant which I didn't have before.

This all started after installing the S/W for an HP Photosmart printer. It installs some kind of Net user, updates MS Net Framework to ver 1.1 and adds 7 different programs to the startup folder. What bull****... I deleted the Net user as well as uninstalled all their S/W and the printer works fine.

Let this be a reminder to set a restore point before installing any new S/W. I waited too long to troubleshoot the problem and could not do a restore.

Now I'm going to try and find a way to revert back to the older version of Net Framework.

Thats why I just let it find the drivers ...

2 of the worse Ive seen like this is the all in one Lexmark printer, and a logitech webcam .. the amount of software those suckers put on the clients PC .. darn .. and it was an old slow PC to start with..

Get friendly with MSCONFIG and the startup and services tabs ..

Don't revert back to the older version of the .Net framework. 1.1 is the current stable. The .Net framework doesn't have any native services or apps, it's just a compiler/enviroment. Was the user it installed "aspnet" or along those lines? You may find some web apps won't work.

Thomas:

Yes the user it installed was aspnet; I removed it and will not, like you suggest , try to revert back to a different net framework. I'll just live with the logon screen flashing during boot up.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]

"TileWallpaper"="0"

"Wallpaper"="(None)"

"Pattern"="(None)"

Save as a .reg file and click. This should do it.

Just one warning, the ASPNET account is used as a sandbox for ASP.Net programs. It's generally only installed if IIS is installed and running. So some web based apps may not run correct, or may become security risks.

In the Control Panel, under User Accounts -> Change the way users log on or off....

Is the "Use the Welcome screen" checked?

I think when it adds that ASP account it auto enables that option and even if you remove it, it leaves that option enabled. Try unchecking it and see if that works.

-Marcus