Sign in to follow this  
mflaugh

Sports Training Uses

I have limited familiarity with CCTV installations and the use of DVRs. But the coach of my daughters gymnastics team asked me to research training tools using cameras and playback to critique form, etc.

I immediately thought of using a dual camera system with a DVR. He would like a "continous playback" from the video feed with a "set" delay time so that when the gymnast has completed their event they can go to the training station and view their routine.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of application? I can imagine other sports could employ such technology as well. If so, what kind of "gotchas" should I avoid?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

mark

There are some video capture setups that are designed for this type of use. Its been a couple of years since i was an elite athlete but you should be able to google it. You want to find a system with a high speed camera, and the ability to superimpose or ghost practice runs over others for analysis. Gymnastics like the events i was doing ( bobsled and track) is about hitting certain points and sequences perfectly. Systems like this are being used at the Olympic training centers and probably a few div 1 sports teams. You really need a high speed camera that is well beyond cctv levels to get the results you will need. I have tried using a 30 fps camera for pole vault analysis a few years ago in mjpeg and there was too much blurring even in full daylight to be useful.

In addition you would probably want some analytics to help the coach show proper technique and correct errors.

from google search:

http://www.sporthorizon.com/sports_page.htm