BBFR

RS 485 to RS232 issues.

I have a question regarding a PTZ camera. The camera and the Geovision capture card support Pelco P 9600 baud protocol.I purchased a RS485 to RS232 converter on Ebay that claims it needs no additional power. So I have 2 wires connected to the RS 485 converter and 2 wires connected to the camera. I have switched the wires to verify they were not crossed.I tried setting the camera and capture card to Pelco D 2400 baud with the same results no control of the camera. When I power the camera off and back on it will go through all 4 axis extremes and park I think at a home position.When I hit the zoom and direction keys on the PTZ keys through the Geovision card I can see white interference lines in the camera video like it is sending some signal but no response to input. Is there something I need to do to the com 1 port on the computer or are the default settings for com1 sufficient? Could it be the RS 485 to RS 232 converter needs some power?On the adapter there is connectors for the 485 plus and the 485 negative connectors along with a 5plus connector and a ground.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thank-you

check the termination dip switches on the on the camera. it should be set to "on". you should not "see" any white lines. look to see that your cable is not running alongh side, ontop of, or around any other cable(s)....like AC wiring, AC control wiring, ect. make sure you are using/programing the right com port......if you are unsure just program comm port2 to check. and, the polarity DOES make a difference. plus on plus, minus on minus.

Get a GV-NET RS485 to RS232 box or board and eliminate that Ebay part. No need for it.

Within 5 minutes you will have the problem fixed and be controlling your camera correctly. If you need a module, I have some and I can sell you one. They are very inexpensive and work.

scottj

Get a GV-NET RS485 to RS232 box or board and eliminate that Ebay part. No need for it.

Within 5 minutes you will have the problem fixed and be controlling your camera correctly. If you need a module, I have some and I can sell you one. They are very inexpensive and work.

How can you be so sure this will solve my problem? Please inform how much and how I can order because as is the camera is worthless to me.Thanks

Im 98% sure, can't ever be 100%, but I have seen customers with the same exact issue you mention and and seen the fix for the issue. Send me a PM through here so I can give you pricing, we cannot post pricing in this section of the forum.

scottj

In regards to PM

I am aware of the external box and the internal pc card. What is your preference? Thanks PM sitting in outbox unable to send. Here is my contact for response.

tthompson30@wi.rr.com

PM sitting in outbox unable to send. Here is my contact for response.

Just a FYI... Your messages will sit in your outbox until the recipient actually reads it. Nice feature because you can edit the message until it is finally read.