There is a big difference between 4 channel CCTV system and a 4 camera megapixel setup.

Ofcourse there is, the price!

Thats what you think!!! My customers see the value in Hi Res video.

Ask them what they see when the burglar cleans them out and is covering their face as most do ...!!

Could have saved those extra thousands for some extra razor wire, better alarm system, or extra bullets

Thats what you think!!! My customers see the value in Hi Res video.

Ask them what they see when the burglar cleans them out and is covering their face as most do ...!!

Could have saved those extra thousands for some extra razor wire, better alarm system, or extra bullets

Rory I give it... Your right I should sell everyone analog crappy video

Rory I give it... Your right I should sell everyone analog crappy video

No No No! I never said that!

You could just sell them a high quality CCTV video system that will get the job done, as others do

But if you can find a client that will spend it on Mobotix or Avilgon or whatever the next impressive technology is that comes out tomorrow then more power to you ... " title="Applause" />

Wireguys, my original point was that this acti camera mentioned IMO is not worth the cost,

for example:

a 4 camera DVR system with 4 True Day Night IR Cameras that would do the job (based on similar applications), could be approx (dealer) $2500 less then 4 of these acti cameras and an NVR .. and yet most people can still barely afford the DVR solution.

The daytime image is quite soft (of course the manufacturer has put some "sharpening" algorithm inside the camera,however, it just make the image looks sharper, it won't add any detail, actually, such algorithm may remove lots of detail).

The night picture looks even more softer, that means the lens is not real "IR corrected". it just has smaller focusing drifting when shift from visible light to IR light, compared with non-IR corrected lens.

the Power of embedded IR illumination seems just enough to light up a very limited area ( not exceed the distance of the outdoor chair). To a low-cost 1/3" 1.3MP coms sensor, you can't expect too much...

In order to get a good understanding of performance of "Day & night " filter, you need to test it in the brightest sunlight (not just under awning).

Actually, that IR emmitter can project out about 50' with pretty good results, not to be compared with inexpensive eBay specials that do a about 20'. it's just that I pointed it to that chair and it adjusted exposure accordingly, when I shined it to the opposite end of our yard, 50' away, it lights that area up equally.

There are sharpening settings to make the image sharper, of course at the expense of sharpening artifacts that I feel make for a nicer picture, but compromises facial recognition. So this is a customer choice. For example, I feel that out of the box, Mobotix has a ton of sharpening artifacts and had to soften the image to get better facial recognition. That being said, the lens is not great, certainly not what I get from cameras with a good CS mount lens or even the glued in lens a Mobotix M12 has. I believe it was hardwire that posted images from an Acti with a better lens installed made a significant difference in image quality, not to say the original image did not provide an adequate image. Also, I had it set to the widest angle image and that cause some lens distortions. When I permanently mount this camera, it will be about 10' further and I'll adjust the varifocal lens closer to the middle of it's range that should improve the image quality closer to it's sweet spot.

The day/night filter's job is purely to provide an IR cut filter during daytime to provide for color accuracy. Without an IR filter, the green foliage in the sun may look pinkish brown to purple. What you probably mean about the sun shining in the camera is probably more of auto-iris feature that this camera does not have. This is not usually a huge issue outdoors as people mount cameras high pointed down to avoid sun.

Edited by Guest

I posted those images a while back, here they are again, for reference. Cam is an Acti ACM-4201 indoor cube.

Original lens, like I commented before, maybe slightly out of focus, but not by much.130952_1.jpg

With Fujinon YV2.8x2.8SA-2 lens:130952_2.jpg

I'd be curious to see if any better lenses would have the same benefit on the ACM-7411 or ACM-1231. Hard to find board cam ICR megapixel lenses, though.

You must have a special 1231 because all of the ones I have installed will not project 50ft with the IR.

If I remember tonight, I'll point the camera that way and capture an image.

Hardwire, that's a good difference. The question then becomes, do you spend the money to buy the better lens, or buy the better camera with a better lens already on it. I like those Acti cubes, good price point and interchangable lenses and fits in some outdoor housings.

You must have a special 1231 because all of the ones I have installed will not project 50ft with the IR.

If I remember tonight, I'll point the camera that way and capture an image.

Hardwire, that's a good difference. The question then becomes, do you spend the money to buy the better lens, or buy the better camera with a better lens already on it. I like those Acti cubes, good price point and interchangable lenses and fits in some outdoor housings.

Buy the right camera for the job and get the best lens you can afford.

The 4201 is a indoor camera so putting it outside is not recommend

Absolutely, it's just when people start looking for what they need, they sometimes find it's not as cheap as they thought and for some reason, having day/night or IR Cut filter capabilites really raises the price on a camera. So for me, $500ish seems to be the bottom for any day/night, outdoor camera, megapixel camera. I've yet to see eBay cheapies with IR cut filters, but I have seen a lot of images with pink trees

As for it not being recomended, they show you how to fit in an outdoor housing in one of the FAQ's on ACTI's website.

I finally remembered tonight. From the lens to end of the second patio cover is about 55'. The two flower pots have malibu light, and I have one malibu shining up at a tree, that's the only lighting there. Not trying to sell anyone on this camera, just showing it's capabilities.

131034_1.jpg

Yeah alot of objects there to reflect IR off .. also mount it up 8' and would see a decrease in IR distance. I read it claims 20-30 meters of IR though? Thats 65-95', so seems it should at least do 50', same as most other true day night IR bullets - dont expect it to be like daylight though in an open field.

No, ACTi claims 15m with IR and it does that. Also, where am I going to find a field where my cable can reach I live in So Cal suburbia, where there's a reason they call your them back YARDS, because they are about a YARD deep

No, ACTi claims 15m with IR and it does that. Also, where am I going to find a field where my cable can reach I live in So Cal suburbia, where there's a reason they call your them back YARDS, because they are about a YARD deep

What is the exposure setting?

What is the exposure setting?

The camera is set for 1/30 of a second minimum exposure, what I consider bare minimum for capturing a moving person well enough to ID.

I volunteer my time on projects for non-profit organization and our local government where I provide my skills, expertise, time & effort with no personal gain or benefit other than the satisfaction that I've done something good for the community. So if I can get project pricing as an oem partner or through a distributer to help, then I do what I can. Heck, I don't buy for my personal use from the same distributors to avoid any conflict of interest.

Nice of you to ask. What's your relationship to the CCTV business? Do you have time to volunteer your time, can certainly use your help.

As for the blog, purely a way to share my experience with cameras I've owned or have been lent for eval purposes. The reason is there's no central place to get IP camera reviews in the same fashion you can get digital camera reviews from places like dpreview or Steve's digital cameras. I felt these sites have given me invaluable information about digital cameras, so I want to provide a place that does the same for the IP camera community.

If anyone here can help add to the list of ip camera reviews by providing me access to cameras remotely where I can run tests, get sample images, and post the resultts, it would be appreciated by myself and the many that visit the blog.

I volunteer my time on projects for non-profit organization and our local government where I provide my skills, expertise, time & effort with no personal gain or benefit other than the satisfaction that I've done something good for the community. So if I can get project pricing as an oem partner or through a distributer to help, then I do what I can. Heck, I don't buy for my personal use from the same distributors to avoid any conflict of interest.

Nice of you to ask. What's your relationship to the CCTV business? Do you have time to volunteer your time, can certainly use your help.

As for the blog, purely a way to share my experience with cameras I've owned or have been lent for eval purposes. The reason is there's no central place to get IP camera reviews in the same fashion you can get digital camera reviews from places like dpreview or Steve's digital cameras. I felt these sites have given me invaluable information about digital cameras, so I want to provide a place that does the same for the IP camera community.

If anyone here can help add to the list of ip camera reviews by providing me access to cameras remotely where I can run tests, get sample images, and post the resultts, it would be appreciated by myself and the many that visit the blog.

Lots of people here can provide tons of info and idea

few ??? for you

Are u going to charge in future for your tests and review

( in past "http://ipvideomarket.info/" was coming here

ask ??? then turn around charging

How do u do tests ?

What equipment if any are u using ?

Thanks

I just checked it again, in their data sheet on their website they specifically list the IR Working distance as 20 ~ 30 M(30 IRE)

Probably a typo and they mean to say feet, not meters.

You should see the typos in their class material/ Power Points.

Since wordpress provides the site for free, i have no reason to solicit sponsors or charge for anyone for anything, but keep in mind that free means that wordpress puts ads in now and then, so don't think it's me making a quick buck.

As for testing methods, I just use what I've learned over the years from camera review sites like dpreview or steves. I basically quote features and specs from the manufacturers website, I provide my comment on how well these features work and I provide sample images and screenshots of the camera's interface. I don't have anything that's supper consistent yet because it's all new. I also plan on posting how-to articles that many newbies get confused about like setting up a router for external use.

i wanted to start a CCTV camera test site but living in the Bahamas it is next to impossible. I even registered a domain but eventually gave it up. Living in North America though it should be no problem getting demo cameras from camera manufacturers, not just IP manufacturers also. There are already a few IP camera review sites out there by the way, no real CCTV camera review site in general though that deals with everything.