jumpjack

Accessing filesystem of DVR

My 8204S DVR has network connection, USB support and it mounts Linux: does anybody know if/how it is possibile to access DVR filesystem from PC, rather than by using Internet Explorer activex to download recorded file from the DVR?

I am not familiar with your dvr but I will say that you cannot.

It is a proprietary software based on linux. You would actually need an emulator program.

It is a proprietary software based on linux. You would actually need an emulator program.

Emulator is not the correct word here.

This DVR appears to be a Chinese made Linux (embedded) DVR. Your only option would be to take the drive out and plug it into a computer and see if you can mount the drive. Being that it is Linux the drive is probably formatted ext2/3/4 or some type of journalized filesystem which will not be playable in Windows. You could try grabbing a Linux boot CD (Ubuntu install cds for example) and seeing if you can mount the drive. Even if you do mount the drive, the recordings are probably not stored in a standard video container.

Emulator is not the correct word here.

This DVR appears to be a Chinese made Linux (embedded) DVR. Your only option would be to take the drive out and plug it into a computer and see if you can mount the drive. Being that it is Linux the drive is probably formatted ext2/3/4 or some type of journalized filesystem which will not be playable in Windows. You could try grabbing a Linux boot CD (Ubuntu install cds for example) and seeing if you can mount the drive. Even if you do mount the drive, the recordings are probably not stored in a standard video container.

I know all of these, that's why I asked for a method to use the DVR itself to access the recordings.

I know all of these, that's why I asked for a method to use the DVR itself to access the recordings.

Then your post is really unclear on what exactly you are wanting to do. Are you:

a) Trying to retrieve archived data FROM the dvr?

b) Trying to add storage from another computer to be used on the dvr?

The DVR has no local playback?

The DVR has no local playback?

yes, I can play all stored clips through Internet Explorer, but I can't delete/copy/rename them. Just play.