jumpjack

How to get the DVR connected to internet without PC?

I connected my web-DVR to my router. I can properly access internet from PC, and DVR is properly configured to be accessed from internet.

What I can't do yet is to get the router connected to internet when the PC is turned off: is it possible? Usually I gain access to internet from PC by accessing router page and clicking on CONNECT button..

What sort of internet service do you have, that the router doesn't connect automatically or isn't connected permanently??

What sort of internet service do you have, that the router doesn't connect automatically or isn't connected permanently??

I guess it depends on me, not on the providwer...

How is it supposed to work? Assuming I have all devices off (PC, DVR and router), should it be enough to turn on DVR and router to get them connected to internet?

I guess it depends on me, not on the providwer...

How is it supposed to work? Assuming I have all devices off (PC, DVR and router), should it be enough to turn on DVR and router to get them connected to internet?

With most types of broadband, the router is connected as long as it's on, and connects automatically when powered up. If you have to log your PC into the router and click a "Connect" button to get online, though, it sounds like your internet connection may be using a form of PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet, as opposed to PoE, Power over Ethernet) - some PPPoE providers do require you to connect manually, similar to a dialup connection.

If this is the case, there may be no way to do it. You could try firing up the PC, making the connection, then shutting down the PC and seeing if it maintains the connection, but if the router disconnects automatically after a period of inactivity, you may be SOL there as well.

With most types of broadband, the router is connected as long as it's on, and connects automatically when powered up. If you have to log your PC into the router and click a "Connect" button to get online, though, it sounds like your internet connection may be using a form of PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet, as opposed to PoE, Power over Ethernet) - some PPPoE providers do require you to connect manually, similar to a dialup connection.

PPPoA (I think "over ATM").

If this is the case, there may be no way to do it. You could try firing up the PC, making the connection, then shutting down the PC and seeing if it maintains the connection, but if the router disconnects automatically after a period of inactivity, you may be SOL there as well.

I tried... but I can't see the router from outside. I'll do further tests.